PDA

View Full Version : Snow gone.

Saveman
11-Dec-10, 13:33
How many man hours would it have taken to clear all the lying snow from all the fields, ditches and roads in Caithness if you started on Tuesday evening? Not the piled up, compacted snow.....just the lying snow.

I marvel at the power of wind and rain. :)

Leanne
11-Dec-10, 13:36
Now snow, now floods :(

Nomad
11-Dec-10, 13:57
haha good point :D

bekisman
11-Dec-10, 14:05
How many man hours would it have taken to clear all the lying snow from all the fields, ditches and roads in Caithness if you started on Tuesday evening? Not the piled up, compacted snow.....just the lying snow.
The marvels of weather, the water flowing off fields, damaging road surfaces, in the process washing countless tons of chemicals into the streams and rivers, killing fish and other waterborne life, this results in a toxic food source for other species - killing countless animals, otters, voles etc etc..
Burst pipes, causing thousands of pounds of damage inside peoples houses. We have a friend who's kitchen flooring had been ruined by water draining off the hills, I have seen vehicles disabled on the road to Wick yesterday, caused by the floods across the A9..

It has been estimated that some £500,000 will be needed to repair damage caused by under-scoring of the roads in Caithness alone, the restocking of salmon rivers will cause great financial strain to businesses.
Oh yes, it's good to see it's all gone, but at what cost?

(PS I made most of that up - glad the bloody stuff's gone!)

shazzap
11-Dec-10, 15:27
We still have snow and ice, underfoot and on some roads.[disgust]

brandy
11-Dec-10, 15:32
and from what i understand its coming back again

shazzap
11-Dec-10, 15:37
and from what i understand its coming back again

They're not too sure on that one yet, so i am to believe.
Although they say we will get more icy weather.

steeko
11-Dec-10, 15:43

Yes nature is an awesome force

billmoseley
11-Dec-10, 16:45
mother nature will always win in the end

Saveman
11-Dec-10, 16:59
The marvels of weather, the water flowing off fields, damaging road surfaces, in the process washing countless tons of chemicals into the streams and rivers, killing fish and other waterborne life, this results in a toxic food source for other species - killing countless animals, otters, voles etc etc..
Burst pipes, causing thousands of pounds of damage inside peoples houses. We have a friend who's kitchen flooring had been ruined by water draining off the hills, I have seen vehicles disabled on the road to Wick yesterday, caused by the floods across the A9..

It has been estimated that some £500,000 will be needed to repair damage caused by under-scoring of the roads in Caithness alone, the restocking of salmon rivers will cause great financial strain to businesses.
Oh yes, it's good to see it's all gone, but at what cost?

(PS I made most of that up - glad the bloody stuff's gone!)

......and I marvel at.....the org. ;)

Vistravi
11-Dec-10, 19:43
Forgetting how much it will cost to repair the damage cost for moment.

Just a while ago i took a walk with my son and one of my younger brothers to the river edge. The amazing power of mother nature and just how scary but beautiful mother nature is a sight to be marvelled at.