PDA

View Full Version : Why oh why?

bekisman
10-Dec-10, 23:36
Why oh why?
I often wonder who exactly was the person who came up with the ideas, that seem rather perplexing..

Take for example my old HP printer. I go on line and order my Black Ink (Compatible) 51645A at £4.90, and my HP colour (Compatible) C6578A at £9.45. Now these have the printhead in the cartridge, so I ain't going to knacker the printer..
So why oh why do Hewlet Packard need to charge not £4.90 but £26.99 for the same black cartridge, and not £9.45 but £55.38(!) for the colour? OK, you might retort, they have development costs etc etc.. fair enough, but I ain't going to spend that kind of money! - no I'll go and buy compatible, and I do.

So what do HP do? put the price up again cos they're loosing out. Uh? why the heck don't they lower their prices to somewhere within reason, if they did, I, and millions of others would use em.. .

And another; who was the bright guy that decided to purchase the old Safeway's in Wick and put Haldanes there? - there's a bloody great Tesco just up the road!.. ever been in Haldanes; it's a ghost shop

Then what bright spark decided to rename the Post Office: "Consignia",? did not last long that one did it?

And of course the sensible sounding 'Marathon' to that cross between underpants and sneakers: 'Snickers'.. oh the list goes on:confused

What other silly things are you aware of?

joxville
10-Dec-10, 23:46
Why bekisman? Why not just Fred or Dave or Steve or whatever your name is? ;)

Kodiak
10-Dec-10, 23:51
Just a small point bekisman The Post Office was never named "Consignia".

It was Royal Mail that changed its name to "Consignia" not The Post Office.

Royal Mail and The Post Office are two completely different companies.

Small point I know but I am sure The Post Office would not like to be linked with the Name "Consignia".

bekisman
11-Dec-10, 00:46
Just a small point bekisman The Post Office was never named "Consignia".

It was Royal Mail that changed its name to "Consignia" not The Post Office.

Royal Mail and The Post Office are two completely different companies.

Small point I know but I am sure The Post Office would not like to be linked with the Name "Consignia".
Shows how confused I were!:confused

bekisman
11-Dec-10, 00:49
Why bekisman? Why not just Fred or Dave or Steve or whatever your name is? ;)

Oh that's an easy one, my better half is: sorghaghtanibeki (daughter of a well known bloke), and I'm her husband, so 'Bekisman'; silly!

And anyway why does a bloke have a woman on their moniker? Hmm, tongues will wag you know!

Beat Bug
11-Dec-10, 00:50
Royal Mail and the Post Office WERE once the same organisation!

bekisman
11-Dec-10, 00:52
Now I'm REALLY confused!:confused

ducati
11-Dec-10, 12:26
The Post Office used to be the telephone company.

Times change

northener
11-Dec-10, 16:01
And Scottish Power are selling overpriced gas to the Welsh.:confused

So it's not all bad......

marwill
11-Dec-10, 16:01
Why do the media refer to people who are in the 50's to 60's age group as 'old people', especially as the government want us to work until we are 70.
After all you are 'as old as you feel', and some times that can mean you feel really 'ancient' at whatever age...;)

Kodiak
11-Dec-10, 19:45

At one time they were G.P.O (General Post Office) and this Included what we now call BT. The G.P.O was all the companies what we now call :-

The Post Office
Royal Mail
BT
Parcel Force

But at the time bekisman is talking about, ie when the name change to Consignia was made, The Post Office and Royal Mail were two different Companies, as was Parcel Force. The only difference is that Parcel Force is now back under the umbrella of Royal Mail, but The Post Office and Royal Mail are two different companies.

joxville
11-Dec-10, 23:34
At one time they were G.P.O (General Post Office) and this Included what we now call BT. The G.P.O was all the companies what we now call :-

The Post Office
Royal Mail
BT
Parcel Force

But at the time bekisman is talking about, ie when the name change to Consignia was made, The Post Office and Royal Mail were two different Companies, as was Parcel Force. The only difference is that Parcel Force is now back under the umbrella of Royal Mail, but The Post Office and Royal Mail are two different companies.

...and BT also had 2 mobile telecomms offshoots, there was it's first mobile arm, Cellnet, which it sold off then it started up MMo2 which was to be known as o2, which it also sold off.

joxville
11-Dec-10, 23:38
Oh that's an easy one, my better half is: sorghaghtanibeki (daughter of a well known bloke), and I'm her husband, so 'Bekisman'; silly!

And anyway why does a bloke have a woman on their moniker? Hmm, tongues will wag you know!

It's a one-sided love affair. :~(

Keep it to yourself, I'm more worried about tongues wagging when they find out I like to wear green tights. :eek:

bekisman
12-Dec-10, 00:15
Why do the media refer to people who are in the 50's to 60's age group as 'old people', especially as the government want us to work until we are 70.
After all you are 'as old as you feel', and some times that can mean you feel really 'ancient' at whatever age...;)

So if I 'feel' 65 (for example) then I'm old?

bekisman
12-Dec-10, 00:17
It's a one-sided love affair. :~(

Keep it to yourself, I'm more worried about tongues wagging when they find out I like to wear green tights. :eek:

Ah I see http://www.annahiggie.com/greentights.asp

marwill
12-Dec-10, 00:47
So if I 'feel' 65 (for example) then I'm old?
Well Beks if you 'think' 65 is OLD and that's how you feel, then yes you must be 'old'. What a shame you cannot feel you are 65 'young'. ;)

bekisman
12-Dec-10, 08:28
Well Beks if you 'think' 65 is OLD and that's how you feel, then yes you must be 'old'. What a shame you cannot feel you are 65 'young'. ;)

Calm down marwill, I said "So if I 'feel' 65 (for example) then I'm old?" - I did not say I felt old, keep up (please)!

joxville
12-Dec-10, 09:17
Ah I see http://www.annahiggie.com/greentights.asp
WOW! That was a bit lurid for early morning. :eek:

bekisman
12-Dec-10, 10:02
WOW! That was a bit lurid for early morning. :eek:

Hope your knees ain't so knobbly?:eek:

Jeid
12-Dec-10, 13:16
I can answer the HP question as I work with printers/copiers.

Generally, compatible toner/print cartridges are more likely to fail. I often see compatible toner cartidges in customers machines and 9/10 times... the fault is related to the compatible cartridge, usually with toner spewing all over the inside.

HP are also the company with the highest cost for consumables in the printer/copier domain.

bekisman
12-Dec-10, 17:47
I can answer the HP question as I work with printers/copiers.

Generally, compatible toner/print cartridges are more likely to fail. I often see compatible toner cartidges in customers machines and 9/10 times... the fault is related to the compatible cartridge, usually with toner spewing all over the inside.

HP are also the company with the highest cost for consumables in the printer/copier domain.

Yes, I've heard that some folks may have trouble with various HP carts, but I've never experienced it with my Black Ink (Compatible) 51645A and colour (Compatible) C6578A (And I use the black ones for my standby printer and that's a DeskJet 720C, think that's quite old!)

steeko
12-Dec-10, 18:14
Its does seem rather silly that its is often cheaper for me to buy a new printer with ink than to buy new ink cartridges!

bekisman
15-Dec-10, 20:58
And another; taking the A874 out of Thurso, (towards the Halkirk turnoff), just past the entrance to Dunbar, on the right is a field, now, there is a depression next the hedge, which each winter fills up with water, and in the summer drains away, leaving it a 'bit' boggy. i.e. a waste of land.

Right beside it is a huge pile of earth, excavated from the new(ish) houses there - often wondered why they did not put this earth into the depression, level off and hey presto! :confused

joxville
15-Dec-10, 22:20
And another; taking the A874 out of Thurso, (towards the Halkirk turnoff), just past the entrance to Dunbar, on the right is a field, now, there is a depression next the hedge, which each winter fills up with water, and in the summer drains away, leaving it a 'bit' boggy. i.e. a waste of land.

Right beside it is a huge pile of earth, excavated from the new(ish) houses there - often wondered why they did not put this earth into the depression, level off and hey presto! :confused

It probably required council permission, a task specific risk assessment, a method statement, 3 permits-to-work and a large dollop of commonsense. :roll: