PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Help Me

tori
10-Dec-10, 22:35
I Have a Antique Pocket Watch And I Dont No Anything About It.
Its Called "A.W.W CO Waltham Mass" It Has A Serial Number Which Is 9224169 And Its 14 Ct Gold
If Any1 Can Give Me Any Information On It Or knows Someone Who Can Value it i would be grateful Thanks

orkneycadian
10-Dec-10, 22:42
According to the Interweb, it was made by the American Waltham Watch company of Waltham, Massachusetts.

If you hang on a mo, I'll see if I can match the serial number and the date of manufacture....

orkneycadian
10-Dec-10, 22:44
From here (http://www.pocketwatchsite.com/walthamserials.html), it suggests your watch was made in 1899.

Aaldtimer
10-Dec-10, 22:44
Some info here:- http://www.oldwatch.com/identify/identify.html :)

tori
10-Dec-10, 23:03
thanks Aaldtimer And orkneycadian That Helped me a lot

Kodiak
11-Dec-10, 00:33
Waltham Watches usually exported the Movement of their Watches only and the individual Jewelers would fit them into the cases. This is why there is no real standard Case for a Waltham Watch.

Also if the number you quoted is on the Case it is not the Seriel Number of the watch. The serial Number of the watch is on the watch movement itself. So you must open the watch completely and look for the serial Number there.

This also explains why so many Waltham Watches were only gold plated as the watchmaker who bought in the Waltham Movement could not always afford to put it in a sold gold case.

I have Waltham Hunter Watch, 18 ct Gold and if I went by the number on the case it dates from 1897. This I knew this was wrong as my Grandfather had it in 1886. So I investigated and foind the serial Number on the movement which dated it to 1884. Which gave me further information that my Grandfather won this watch in a race for Safety Bicycles in Dublin in 1884.

Then I found out the the watch originally had a Gold Plated case and my Grandfather bought a new 18ct case for it in 1897.

There are a lot of these Waltham Watches and the price range depends on the case it is in as well as the condition. There is also a wide range is the price as they can fetch anything from £30.00 to £300.00.

Mine I will never ever sell as it is a family heirloom and I will be passing on to my eldest son this Christmas. Hopefully he will pass it it on as well when he gets older.