PDA

View Full Version : I pad

cathyn
10-Dec-10, 17:56
Doz any 1 have a i pad in wick am going to by 1 but i no nothin a bout it r they worth the money

redeyedtreefrog
10-Dec-10, 18:46
No, they're not. Wait for about six months until something reasonably priced comes along. Plus the second generation iPad will be out in not awfully long, probably with a camera and stuff you'd expect from even low-end tablets.

RecQuery
10-Dec-10, 20:39
I think Apple products are overpriced, under spec'd shiny pieces of crap more concerned with form over function.

I'd recommend waiting a bit and getting another tablet, that being said the iPad 2 is scheduled to come out on Valentines day so it may be worth waiting until then.

jazzyr1
10-Dec-10, 22:49
[QUOTE=RecQuery;797312]I think Apple products are overpriced, under spec'd shiny pieces of crap more concerned with form over function.

+1....

im behind you
10-Dec-10, 23:03
i to had my heart set on an ipad. but after doing a bit of homework on the subject. and speaking to guys in the know. i have decided against this and instead i am going for the goggle android. much the same as the ipad but cheaper at a £150. it has a 10 inch screen which cant be bad although not as many apps as the ipad but that will come in time. but people say they are going to be the next big thing and over take the ipad. but its up to yourself what u want though but do some homework first u will be surprised but what you find.

Fluff
10-Dec-10, 23:52
you are paying for the name. Just like IPod's, you can get cheaper and better players on the market for half the price.

Save yer pennies

mums angels
11-Dec-10, 02:49
I was looking into getting The blackberry playbook in the new year as its not out yet , until recently when my Dad bought an Ipad and i was won over so have got one on order .. actually it arrived today but i cant have it until xmas . Very easy to use , plenty of Apps , good size and lightweight . Apple recently had a 20% off day which took a reasonable amount off plus if ordered with them direct you can have a personal message inscribed on the back :) . My only complaint is due to price i cant see why they couldnt have included a protective sleeve with it so have had to order one seperatly .

I actually find i have been a bit anti apple in the past but after making mistakes with buying other cheaper versions of things i think id rather pay more and have a more reliable product . I have also bought my son an ipod touch for xmas and after setting it up for him it really is like a miniture ipad :lol:

If you dont go for the IPad i would say that from experience i love android technology so would assume that would be a good bet to go for .

EDDIE
11-Dec-10, 11:47
What annoys me with ipad it doesnt support flash and its kind of tieing you to buy stufff of itunes only but the software in it is spot on i would like one but its expensive and already have a netbook that does the same job

bluechesse
11-Dec-10, 12:05
First, cant agree with apple being more concerned with style over substance. Ask any Mac user what they think of their mac compared with an old PC.... Although I stick to windows as thats what I use at work, I have yet to meet a mac user who doesn't swear blind that they are the best thing out. I also have an iphone, and an i pad touch, both of which i think are absolutely amazing.
I thought they were a bit of a waste of time when they first appeared to be honest, I have a net book which I use for travelling and I couldn't imagine why I would ever want one. Then I had a play with one in the airport duty free....... What a gadget!
Might seem like a waste of money, pointless etc etc if you analyse it and apply a wadge of common sense, but it just one of those things that you inexplicably want! I dont have one yet, but, from the 20 mins I spent playing with one, Im absolutely sure I will spend many happy hours fiddling about with it for no apparant reason when I finally get one. If your any sort of a gadget person, you'll love it. Enjoy!

emb123
11-Dec-10, 12:29
Probably not. It might be better to get an android based tablet running at least Android 2.2 (Froyo).

A good majority of web sites now use Adobe Flash (registered trademark) which means any web-browsing device which is incapable of Flash will simply not be able to have anything whatsoever to do with those sections of those web sites. No watching video streams no viewing a large chunk of the web. Steve Jobs (Apple's owner) is know for being highly opinionated and has stated that his has no interest in flash and won't be supporting it.

I use a Dell Streak (5" Android phone / mini tablet). Currently it has an ancient version of Android but the 2.2 release is imminent. It's a good device for a while - I find it unbelievably useful and the large screen (relative to a phone) is superb, but Dell's support is appalling (IMO) and they have stated that if you break the screen they do not keep spares and cannot repair it, you will have to buy a new one at your own expense - some £450 device, now a brick. A bit rich I think. Also I'm on my third one - they keep crashing and resetting themselves. Don't buy one.

The Samsung Galaxy tablet which does run Froyo (android 2.2) is currently the fastest (7" screen) tablet device on the market and has an excellent storage capacity, but it's not cheap. I have seen some Android devices with 7" screens for around £120 so it wouldn't hurt to look around, or better yet, wait.

There will be a glut of such devices soon and the prices will plummet.

Also you may find new Windows Mobile 7 tablet devices out soon. As this is so new the jury is out on this OS. It looks good but what software exists for it relative to the other two (Android & ipPhone OS (iOS)) ? Microsoft are notorious for silly little oversights and OS bugs. IMO it's too new to venture your hard-earned upon.

maidenmania
11-Dec-10, 13:29
The one thing you can say about Apple products is they work and integrate seemlessly. Yes are overpriced shiny things but after looking in Lakeside Apple store recently they are very appealing and judging by number of people buying Mr Jobs won't be out of work for a while!

RecQuery
11-Dec-10, 13:38
Apple essentially sell a lifestyle not a tech product. There die hard users are worse than even the most ardent fanboy or fangirl, it's like they're part of some sort of cult.

What I didn't mention in my initial post was the amount of lock-in Apple products have, you have to use the product their way etc. They're only redeeming quality is that the underlying system is based on Unix (BSD to be exact). Even that's a bit contentious to some people.

mums angels
11-Dec-10, 13:44
What annoys me with ipad it doesnt support flash and its kind of tieing you to buy stufff of itunes only but the software in it is spot on i would like one but its expensive and already have a netbook that does the same job

I cant say i have missed anything worthwhile with the lack of flash , maybe the odd video on BBC news sites etc but thats not what i'd use the Ipad for and i would be happy to use my laptop later for anything i think i may have wanted to watch/view . I will be using it for quick email checks , facebook , general browsing and the Apps but i am sure lack fo flash may bother some but thankfully not me and since my favourite You Tube works im happy :lol:

RecQuery
11-Dec-10, 13:46
You can hack flash onto the iPad, I dislike adobe again their products are bloated and not secure. When HTML5 takes over and they finally agree on a standard that'll be less of an issue anyway.

Here's a quick analysis on Apple hardware.

http://main.makeuseoflimited.netdna-cdn.com/tech-fun/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/whynottobuyamac.png

bluechesse
12-Dec-10, 13:41
Not a big Mac fan then RecQuery :lol:

RecQuery
12-Dec-10, 14:52
Not a big Mac fan then RecQuery :lol:

Heh well not really, I'm a Linux guy, Apple are anathema to me, I actually prefer Microsoft over them. Steve Jobs is essentially doing what he did back at the start yet somehow those dodgy tactics are succeeding this time around, eventually people got annoyed with him the first time and let him go.

Ignoring the overpriced hardware, it's mainly the lock-in and dodgy marketing I don't like. Plus the sneering pretentiousness of some Apple users. Their main demographics seem to be teenagers who want to fit in and be cool, people who think they're artistic, people undergoing a midlife crisis and advertising and marketing types.

Also theres a ton of stories online about Apple being like a police state to work for, even ignoring the dodgy stuff in third world and developing countries we have as one example this (http://gizmodo.com/5427058/apple-gestapo-how-apple-hunts-down-leaks).

Jeid
12-Dec-10, 15:50
Well, this didn't take long to explode into a Mac vs PC thing. Funnily enough, as always, started by someone on the PC side of things.

Anyway. I have two Mac's, an iMac and a Macbook. I got my Macbook last April. I decided to switch from PC to Mac for one reason, and one reason only, I record a lot. I'd looked around at what's people seem to be using for Pro Tools based systems and most studios running Pro Tools are running Mac. There's had to be a reason for it.

I got the standard Macbook model. Was similar specs to the Dell laptop that I had at the time, in fact, I'm pretty sure the CPU is slightly slower on my Macbook. Same memory, same speed of hard disk.

I tried running Pro Tools on my PC laptop, but it wasn't handling the plug-ins and regularly froze on me. Now, I always looked after my laptop, cleaned it out, made sure there was no crap running in the background etc. so it's not as if the PC was bogged down with a load of other programs.

My Macbook arrived and I got Pro Tools on there and it handles the heavy loads a lot better. Aye, I get the odd crash once in a while, but not the program ending crashes like my PC.

Admittedly, I think if I ran it on Windows 7 (pretty much a copy of OSX from what I've seen) I'd be less likely to get the crashes I was having with XP.

My iMac just does the same job but with more power and less crashes. I can get the audio onto my hard disk at a faster rate too.

I can see the pros and cons for both. I still use a PC laptop for my work, even though it drives me crazy, it serves its purpose. PC's are wider used, people know how to work them.

Apple have a very successful advertising department. Having spent a lot of years in the shadows of Microsoft, they've marketed themselves to be appealing. It's not that their products are better, it's that they've made them desireable, and it's working. Can't knock them for that.

A Lamborghini isn't really such an amazing car, but the name suggests otherwise.

There's a place for Apple and PC. The Mac vs PC war is something of a joke now. I chose Mac for a specific task, not because I think they're better than PC, but because I think it works better for the work I do.

As for the iPad... I'm looking forward to the iPad 2. I don't suppose I'll be getting one, but I wouldn't mind playing around with one :)

Bobinovich
12-Dec-10, 17:43
I'm sure there will be plenty of cheaper iPad clones, some may even be better and NOT tie you to using a single piece of software! Having just purchased my first Android phone, and being able to move files easily to & fro using Windows Explorer, I may well be sticking with it for the forseeable future.

Jeid
12-Dec-10, 17:45
Had an Android phone, really good piece of kit :)

emb123
13-Dec-10, 16:50
Just in case it's of interest, I received an email advert a few minutes ago to say that play.com are doing a one day only special and have a number of android tablets including a 7" inch at £99 including free delivery. It runs an older version of android (same as my Dell Streak) and has less memory but it might be worth a look.

Bruce_H
13-Dec-10, 17:14
I have been using an iPad for about 8 months, and I don't miss Flash one bit. For the most part Flash is used to deliver nasty annoying flashing ads on websites, and my life is so much better with that gone.

Once in a great while I find actual content that someone cooked up on flash that I can't use, which is a bummer, but worth the trade of not having all the nasty ads.

I know lots of people don't like the price, and I think it's wonderful we live in a world where there are so many choices for everyone's taste and budget.

For the record I also own a handful of Android devices of varying OS release, and several Mac and Windows computers. Before you think I am a nutter, I write software for a living, and I used all of them to write and test my software.

They all work, and they are all light years better than what I had in 1982.

Bruce

Stingray
13-Dec-10, 18:36
I am with you here Bruce H! I have an ipad since about day one and love it to bits. When the new ipad 2 comes out will be certainly one of the first ones in the queue again. Hurry up Apple.

Bazeye
14-Dec-10, 00:23
Im waiting for one that can make toast as well.

Bazeye
14-Dec-10, 00:25
Thinking of getting an i Ron for the wife for Christmas.