PDA

View Full Version : pets at home

whateva
09-Dec-10, 21:29
went in the other day to pets at home in wick
being an owner of a lepord gecko i asked for live feed the girl said "not got any lorry never got up"
"i said u mean to say my lizard is going to die "
she shrugged her shoulders and said "dunno"
is it just me or at this time of year should they have extra supplys in just incase lorrys cant get up ?

changilass
09-Dec-10, 21:45
I'm sorry to say, but this works both ways, should you not have stocked up yourself at this time of year?

Leanne
09-Dec-10, 21:45
The supplies everywhere can be hit and miss. They don't transport well in this weather and most places only sell blacks (not browns and locusts). Could you not try the lizard with dried mealworms from PAH in the meantime - might not work but worth a try? If it doesn't work I'm sure the wild birds would appreciate them :)

Edit - they don't buy too many of them as they don't survive for long enough. I'm figuring they keep them in the dry boxes with just cereal? To keep them alive for longer than 7-10 days you need to feed them and give them water - speaking from experience this is a bit on the messy side..

changilass
09-Dec-10, 21:53
Crickets stink, try starting your own dubai colony, then you will always have live food at hand.

bekisman
09-Dec-10, 21:58
Well, my tyre socks (snow-shoes for cars) finally got here after being held up by snow.. now it's all gone, got to wait til it snows again :(

Corrie 3
09-Dec-10, 22:11
At least she said "dunno" and not...... "Whadever" !!

C3...:roll:;)

Walter Ego
09-Dec-10, 22:19
went in the other day to pets at home in wick
being an owner of a lepord gecko i asked for live feed the girl said "not got any lorry never got up"
"i said u mean to say my lizard is going to die "
she shrugged her shoulders and said "dunno"
is it just me or at this time of year should they have extra supplys in just incase lorrys cant get up ?

You're responsible for the welfare of your animal - not the shop.

Would you blame the petrol station for running out of fuel?

Jeid
09-Dec-10, 23:02
Haha... this thread is stupid.

You're pretty much trying to blame the girl in the shop when it was your own lack of foresight that has caused the problem.

A big Homer Simpson style "D'oh" goes in your direction!

upolian
09-Dec-10, 23:08
Can't believe what im reading:roll:

Dadie
09-Dec-10, 23:28
Stock up and keep your "food" like pets with food and water etc..
If you treat them right you wont run out.
I panic if I dont have at least a weeks worth of food in the house for any of my pets at the minimum.

Leanne
09-Dec-10, 23:35
Could you catch moths and daddy long legs? I've got a few you could have lol

Logical
09-Dec-10, 23:58
Slightly ironic you are blaming those 'idiots' for not stocking up on Gecko food for the winter.:roll:

Scarybiscuits03
10-Dec-10, 00:12
There are still a few flies about - open ur door at night and turn all ur lights on - you'll be able to catch a few to keep you going!
Nothing worse than being caught short in weather like we've had - Im sure they'll have a delivery soon what with the "big thaw!"
Good luck!

Tyke
10-Dec-10, 14:59
I felt a bit sorry for whateva the way you all jumped at her, although I do agree that fore thought is a wonderful thing and her attitude was a bit off.

Running a Boarding Kennels I spend a lot of money at Pets at Home and I have found the management and staff to be extremely helpful. If I need something special, they order it for me. I don't however expect to get exactly what I want everytime I go in.

I have just received an e-mail from Pets at Home to let me know that their delivery' are running 3-5 days late.

My bigest problem at POH is when I am strugling with with all purchases to the van nobody gives me a hand and I am getting old you know.:roll:

Sarah
10-Dec-10, 15:12
I'm sorry to say, but this works both ways, should you not have stocked up yourself at this time of year?

This! I ran out of cat litter yesterday, thought I had more than I did, but couldn't leave the trays. Had to do a bit of travelling as none of the near shops had any! Just the sacrifice's that have to be made with animal care.

Dadie
10-Dec-10, 15:23
Oh!
I usually get asked if I need a hand out to the car with all my purchases.
I usuallly say yes please.
I usually buy a big bale of sawdust, hay and straw as well as a big bag of rabbit food on a big shop...or if getting cat food for my cat and a near neighbours its just 2-3 boxes of 48 sachets I still get asked!
I panic buy/stock up in this weather on animal food and essentials so I dont have to go to town.
Live food can be kept alive with some care..and if you keep them in the right conditions you may not have to buy any more as they reproduce.
Im sure there must be a section in the gecko handbook that states how to care for their food!
In this weather you will have to do the stocking up yourself because if the lorries dont come up you will still have food!
Please dont say the shops are running low on cat litter I only have 1 bag left after I gave my neighbour a bag as I had just come back from Wick when he remembered he needed some!

Sarah
10-Dec-10, 18:49
Please dont say the shops are running low on cat litter I only have 1 bag left after I gave my neighbour a bag as I had just come back from Wick when he remembered he needed some!

Well that was over here in Sutherland, you will probably be OK :)

Dadie
10-Dec-10, 20:54
I bought 3 bags..used one..gave one away...only one left!
Thats my usual time to buy another!
Last year I used a few bags of kitty litter on the path for grip:lol:
Along with some salt!

whateva
11-Dec-10, 13:01
well i did stock up but having three gekos all needing fed is a problem

spittalmyre
11-Dec-10, 18:08
well i did stock up but having three gekos all needing fed is a problem
will they eat worms????? you can gat them on your lawn at night with a torch ,or by them on line, 1-2 day delivery

LoneSomeDove
11-Dec-10, 18:46
To be honest if you want to get some crickets,locust,mealworms i would try ebay, you should be able to get someone to send one up at this time of the year.we have had many deliveries of crickets.
Also they are cheaper by lots and you get more quantity, so you should not run out.

Gecko,s will eat worms as long as they are washed well, and not too big.

I agree with some views about keeping ahead of yourself when keeping animals, but it is so easy to run out of things without realising it. I have done so in the past.

I dont know if you know this but if you would like to keep the little critters from maturing too quickly, keep them in a place that is cool as there metabolism drops and they eat less(crickets,locusts).they do come from places where the temp drops to realy cold at night.

We left a tub of 500 outside on the window last year overnight, when we remembered in the morning they all appeared dead, bringing them in and warming them, the crickets started to warm up and wake up, we lost none of them.

hope this helps a wee bit and try not to heed the ones who like to judge on here, they never make mistakes:roll:.

Oh and it is not the girls fault, nor is it pets at home. We as animal carers must be sure to not run out of things that you may not be able to get localy.:D

changilass
11-Dec-10, 18:56
Its not a good idea to feed any bugs from outside, you don't know what pesticides they may have ingested that may be harmful to your pets.

Best thing would be to give them vegies till you can get more bugs.

neepnipper
11-Dec-10, 19:06
If giving earth worms rinse them off and put them in a tub of potato or carrot peelings for a couple of days to purge them (so they poo out anything they've got inside them), that way you know your gecko won't be eating anything nasty.

Dadie
11-Dec-10, 22:04
In the next delivery you get....Keep some back and set up a breeding colony.
Feed and water them and give them a dish with sand (moist not soaking) and when the eggs are laid remove the dish and keep separate from the adults and grow them on...you could probably sell the spares to other gecko owners from a wee listing on here:lol:
Make a few pennies and never run out of food..sounds like a win win to me!
(Ok they stink..but you could keep them somewhere out of sight ..and warm..airing cupboard?)