PDA

View Full Version : Lawnmower Rant

badger
14-Aug-06, 19:07
I’ve just cut the grass – nothing very special about that you may think but every time I wonder why is this machine so primitive? First you have to pump it, then you pull a bit of string (well cable or something) to start it. I ask you. This is the 21st century and we’re still pulling bits of string to start engines. We can watch tv on mobile phones but when it comes to starting a petrol engine I have to push this and pull that and if you're lucky it starts. Yes I know you can get push button starters but they’re more expensive and these other things should have been put in museums years ago. Generators, strimmers – they’re all the same. Pull a bit of string to get them going. It’s ridiculous. It makes me cross. But at least now it’s finished for another week and I can have a nice cup of tea from a kettle that works by pressing a button, no string involved. [disgust]

Kingetter
14-Aug-06, 19:10
I’ve just cut the grass – nothing very special about that you may think but every time I wonder why is this machine so primitive? First you have to pump it, then you pull a bit of string (well cable or something) to start it. I ask you. This is the 21st century and we’re still pulling bits of string to start engines. We can watch tv on mobile phones but when it comes to starting a petrol engine I have to push this and pull that and if you're lucky it starts. Yes I know you can get push button starters but they’re more expensive and these other things should have been put in museums years ago. Generators, strimmers – they’re all the same. Pull a bit of string to get them going. It’s ridiculous. It makes me cross. But at least now it’s finished for another week and I can have a nice cup of tea from a kettle that works by pressing a button, no string involved. [disgust]

Been on a boat with an outboard motor? Same situation - yes, there are expensive push button options I suppose but, well!! And, it's not limited to outboards - some 'old' inboards can be the same. but if Noah managed, why should we complain?

badger
14-Aug-06, 19:14
Been on a boat with an outboard motor? Same situation - yes, there are expensive push button options I suppose but, well!! And, it's not limited to outboards - some 'old' inboards can be the same. but if Noah managed, why should we complain?

Yes thanks, forgot about them. Probably other things as well. Did Noah have tv?

Kingetter
14-Aug-06, 19:16
only wire - less! lol

Dr Evil
14-Aug-06, 19:16
if it works then why change it??

philupmaboug
14-Aug-06, 19:18
You should try community service Badger...I hear they give lessons in all of that style of equipment!

George Brims
14-Aug-06, 19:26
The only bit of string on my mower connects it to a socket on the wall. It's nice and quiet and doesn't smell bad, and my son has only managed to chop through three or four extension cables since we've had it! (Hint: don't use green extension cables on grass).

Kingetter
14-Aug-06, 19:29
Actually, my advice is put down chips and keep off the grass!!!

badger
14-Aug-06, 19:34
The only bit of string on my mower connects it to a socket on the wall. It's nice and quiet and doesn't smell bad, and my son has only managed to chop through three or four extension cables since we've had it! (Hint: don't use green extension cables on grass).

Got one of those - hover thing though it doesn't seem to hover much. It's fine for the smaller areas but doesn't pick up grass and took too long on the big areas, apart from having to rake up after. I even had two outdoor sockets put in when I first moved here and did it all with 2 extension leads and a circuit breaker (very safety conscious, me). Did you know you can get clips to clip on your belt at the back for the cord to go through? Keeps it out of the way. Also have a strimmer with same arrangement as couldn't be doing with more string.

badger
14-Aug-06, 19:36
if it works then why change it??

I expect caves were good - for cavemen. I just love technology.

Billy Boy
14-Aug-06, 19:40
why not have a cup of tea and pay someone to cut the grass for you lol[lol]

obiron
14-Aug-06, 19:45

thats what i more or less do have a cuppa and read the daily papers while having a look now and again at cedric busy outside.

Kingetter
14-Aug-06, 19:48
The philosophy being "Work's a great thing - I can watch it all day"?

obiron
14-Aug-06, 19:52
The philosophy being "Work's a great thing - I can watch it all day"?

nope more a case of getting fed up halfway through cutting it.

badger
14-Aug-06, 19:53

Now where's the satisfaction in that? At least I can feel virtuous for about 5 minutes and that doesn't happen often, believe me. Besides it's not the same looking at nice tidy grass that someone else has cut, even if most of it is clover and daisies. Nice man on Gardeners' World once said grass is boring and you shouldn't worry about the weeds - so I don't. :roll:

Billy Boy
14-Aug-06, 19:58
Now where's the satisfaction in that? At least I can feel virtuous for about 5 minutes and that doesn't happen often, believe me. Besides it's not the same looking at nice tidy grass that someone else has cut, even if most of it is clover and daisies. Nice man on Gardeners' World once said grass is boring and you shouldn't worry about the weeds - so I don't. :roll:

lol, you should tell that to mrs billy boy, she takes great satisfaction in looking out of the window watching someone else cut the grass ( namely me )[lol]

willowbankbear
14-Aug-06, 20:10
Ye shouldve seen the length of the jungle when I got home last monday!!

Mrs Bear doesnt do gardens & I was away 3 weeks, then it was Friday by the time it was dry enough to cut it. By the time Id picked up 3 weeks of dog dirt, strimmed the edges,cut it on the top blade then went over it again on a lower blade. It took me 3 hours but it looks not bad now:D

BIMBO
14-Aug-06, 20:12
Ye shouldve seen the length of the jungle when I got home last monday!!

Mrs Bear doesnt do gardens & I was away 3 weeks, then it was Friday by the time it was dry enough to cut it. By the time Id picked up 3 weeks of dog dirt, strimmed the edges,cut it on the top blade then went over it again on a lower blade. It took me 3 hours but it looks not bad now:DYou should get yourself a couple of sheep Willowbankbear. :eek:

willowbankbear
14-Aug-06, 20:15
Nah, the neighbours might get involved with them. Cant have that going on in Willowbank LOL

George Brims
14-Aug-06, 20:31
Got one of those - hover thing though it doesn't seem to hover much.

Mine is a rotary with wheels. I hate hover mowers. Once upon a time I was an employee of the old Wick Town Council - thankfully only for one summer (the coldest summer I can remember too!). The method used then, and perhaps still, for cutting the grass on that slope above the curved part of George St was to use a Flymo on a rope. Two blokes would hold separate ends to swing the Flymo left and right. I don't know how he did it, but one of my less smart colleagues managed to attach the rope in such a way that it came off in the middle of this operation! It slid down the slope, bounced out of the raised rose bed at the bottom, and crossed the street at a height of about 4 feet (still revving nicely, thank you) in front of a passing car. I am not sure which was the more violent - the language used by the car driver after he stopped and got out to share his thoughts on the matter, or the total disintegration of the mower when it finally made a forced landing at the other side of the street.

willowbankbear
14-Aug-06, 20:33
Mine is a rotary with wheels. I hate hover mowers. Once upon a time I was an employee of the old Wick Town Council - thankfully only for one summer (the coldest summer I can remember too!). The method used then, and perhaps still, for cutting the grass on that slope above the curved part of George St was to use a Flymo on a rope. Two blokes would hold separate ends to swing the Flymo left and right. I don't know how he did it, but one of my less smart colleagues managed to attach the rope in such a way that it came off in the middle of this operation! It slid down the slope, bounced out of the raised rose bed at the bottom, and crossed the street at a height of about 4 feet (still revving nicely, thank you) in front of a passing car. I am not sure which was the more violent - the language used by the car driver after he stopped and got out to share his thoughts on the matter, or the total disintegration of the mower when it finally made a forced landing at the other side of the street.

Classic George Brims, PMSL[lol] [lol]

connieb19
14-Aug-06, 20:35
Classic George Brims, PMSL[lol]Me too lol :lol: I can just picture it now.

canuck
14-Aug-06, 21:11
Me too lol :lol: I can just picture it now.

Me three. I am sure that the neighbours can hear me laughing.