PDA

View Full Version : Cure for the cough.

sandyr1
09-Dec-10, 16:47
A cure for the Cough.
Some studies have been done which strongly suggests that the following works.
Perhaps you have heard of this before.

Take Vicks Vaporub, and apply genorously to the feet, put on socks and apparently the cough will subside within 5/10 minutes. Works particularly well on young children.

FYI.......................

trinkie
09-Dec-10, 16:54
If you have a persistent cough, dont mess around, but go straight to the doctor...

Good luck
Trinkie

suzy
09-Dec-10, 17:01
I have heard that if you take a few laxatives, ( as according to packet, of course) then you are too scared to cough!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

chaz
09-Dec-10, 17:05
I have heard that if you take a few laxatives, ( as according to packet, of course) then you are too scared to cough!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

well thats one way lol xx

Kevin Milkins
09-Dec-10, 17:26
If you have a persistent cough, dont mess around, but go straight to the doctor...

Good luck
Trinkie

I have had a ropey cough for over a week and it wakes me up at night. I got some cough mixture from the chemist that helped a bit, but as it was getting worse and not better I asked Mr's M to make an appointment with the doctor.

I was sat reading last weeks JOG journal at breakfast yesterday and it stated that it is a waste of time going to the doctors because most coughs are viral infections and not bacteriological, so antibiotics would serve no good purpose and you should go to the pharmacist and ask for advice on what would be the best course of treatment.

Mr's M went to the chemist and reiterated what was said in the Groat, she got a blank look and was told that they had no knowledge of this advice.:confused (Nice to see everyone singing from the same song sheet).

I wouldn't want to go the the doctor and waste his time if it can only be treated by over the counter remedys, but I do seem to be getting conflicting advice on what would be the smart thing to do.

poppett
09-Dec-10, 17:43
Keep the GP appointment, Kevin. You know it makes sense.

I have a persistant dry cough which is caused partly by medication I take for high blood pressure and partly as a result of whooping cough as a child.

When it is really bad I blend butter and sugar in equal parts. Put onto teaspoons and chill on a saucer in the fridge. One spoon on retiring will stop the cough for up to four hours. Old victorian remedy, but dentist hate it for obvious reasons. They don`t have to sleep with the cough...........my neighbours and OH do.

Beat Bug
09-Dec-10, 18:59
A spoonful of honey also does the trick. Works for me every time!

Liz
09-Dec-10, 19:58
My poor sister had an irritating cough for a couple of years!

She went to the GP and had a chest X-Ray which, thankfully, came back clear.
However, the cough remained despite trying lots of remedies both conventional and complementary and nothing helped until I got her an Ayuverdic cough remedy from Ebay.:D

Kevin keep your appointment as there can be many reasons for a cough and best to get checked out.

sandyr1
09-Dec-10, 23:03
I have had a ropey cough for over a week and it wakes me up at night. I got some cough mixture from the chemist that helped a bit, but as it was getting worse and not better I asked Mr's M to make an appointment with the doctor.

I was sat reading last weeks JOG journal at breakfast yesterday and it stated that it is a waste of time going to the doctors because most coughs are viral infections and not bacteriological, so antibiotics would serve no good purpose and you should go to the pharmacist and ask for advice on what would be the best course of treatment.

Mr's M went to the chemist and reiterated what was said in the Groat, she got a blank look and was told that they had no knowledge of this advice.:confused (Nice to see everyone singing from the same song sheet).

I wouldn't want to go the the doctor and waste his time if it can only be treated by over the counter remedys, but I do seem to be getting conflicting advice on what would be the smart thing to do.

You are correct....I had that told to me by a Dr. in Thurso, who also told me to 'Steam Ma Heed'! Like with the hot water, the vapour and a cloot on ma heed!
It never did any good....Some years later a Dr in Canada told me the same thing about the viral infections, and in addition we are taking too many anti biotics. When I asked him about the Vapour and the Cloot he stated....We practice Modern Medicine in Canada! Rather funny...... ..Plus they are feeding the anti biotics to animals and when we do need them, they are not as effective!

So how would you like to do the experiment?? Vicks on your feet and a good pair of stockings!!

Dadie
09-Dec-10, 23:08
No you rub the vicks liberally on your back, chest and feet, put on your flannellette jammies with the hubbys socks...deliberately lie on your back so you snore and splutter and toss and turn until hubby decides the spare bed looks like a good option..as soon as he leaves the bed you spread out in the nice warm bit thats just been vacated and get a decent nights sleep..which works more than the vicks!

golach
09-Dec-10, 23:19
Sandyr1 an owld cough remedy used to be a double dose of californian syrup of figs, you ended up too scared to cough [lol]

sandyr1
09-Dec-10, 23:26
Sandyr1 an owld cough remedy used to be a double dose of californian syrup of figs, you ended up too scared to cough [lol]

Yes my man....I doth remember......And of course some toddy!... For toothache/ would make your jaw crack.....
Wern't them the days!!!!......Gawd, how do we live nowadays!

Actually I am cheating a wee bitty...I am in Southern Florida/ Mind you today it was 65, but tomorrow....wait for it.....80!!

Do you have a lot of snow where you are??

golach
09-Dec-10, 23:30
Do you have a lot of snow where you are??

The city and the central belt has been brought to its knees, never seen snow like this ot the tempratures we havd had it at -19c, at the moment its like a Kaitness summer day, 4c.
Our First Minister and his cronies have made a right mess of it, I will be remembering this when I vote in May [disgust]

Kevin Milkins
10-Dec-10, 11:46
I am delighted to be feeling a bit better this morning, so perhaps the Groat has it right. :Razz

My mam used to say, "it's not the cough that carries you off, it's the coffin they carry you off in"

Bring the day on.

Liz
10-Dec-10, 13:30
I am delighted to be feeling a bit better this morning, so perhaps the Groat has it right. :Razz

My mam used to say, "it's not the cough that carries you off, it's the coffin they carry you off in"

Bring the day on.

Glad your cough has improved Kevin.

You only really need to go the Dr with a cough if you've had it a long time.:D

AliciaMackinnon
10-Dec-10, 13:38

ha lolololol