PDA

View Full Version : Watching American tv online?

The Flea
09-Dec-10, 00:13
Does anyone know if its possible to watch American tv online like CMT etc? Any help would be appreciated.

Beat Bug
09-Dec-10, 00:19
When my sister in Dublin was in America some years ago, she used to watch Irish TV on line, so I suppose it's possible. Try searching on line, you might get lucky

The Flea
09-Dec-10, 00:22
I've had a look but a lot of the things I find you have to pay money up front and I'm not sure if the channels I want are on them. I was hoping someone might have some experience and point me to something safe.

Bruce_H
09-Dec-10, 16:00
Most of what you want is probably on Hulu. You should try one of the free US proxies for a bit to see if it's what you want before you decide if you want to pay for upgraded bandwidth. It will be slow and need to rebuffer a lot, but you should get an idea of what is available.

Most of the network shows can be found on Hulu.

Bruce

The Flea
09-Dec-10, 16:53
Thanks Bruce I'll have a look when I get home later.

EDDIE
09-Dec-10, 17:16
I think you cant watch american channels legally the internet is setup to deliberatley block you from watch tv from another country just the same as we can watch bbc or itv programs for free but someone else from another country cant there blocked.
The only time you can watch your tv programs in another country if you have sling box and there probably are illegal sites that fool the system with there servers so you can watch tv programs from other countrys but its case of are you happy to pay an illegal site and the minute you give them your card details its like puting a rope around your neck if any tv networks want to try and close the site down and sue the users?

redeyedtreefrog
09-Dec-10, 19:39
Definitely don't use The Pirate Bay to illegally download shows, that's illegal and bad.

south view 7
09-Dec-10, 20:27
Idont know if it works but bid tv have been selling a dongle that plugs into u s b and they claim you can recieve thousands of tv & radio stations from round the world. They go like hot cakes everytime they are selling them,have been tempted a few times but would like to here from someone who has one. They useually go for around the £50.00 mark.

Bruce_H
09-Dec-10, 22:36
Actually Hulu is a legitimate web based TV service owned and operated by the TV networks in the US. There are times when you can get to it from outside the US, and times when you can't. If you want to ensure access from the UK, use a US based browsing proxy. You can use one for free for a bit, but to get any real performance you either have to own one or pay for one.

I used this approach to watch things when I am in the UK.

Bruce

RecQuery
09-Dec-10, 22:41
Definitely don't use The Pirate Bay to illegally download shows, that's illegal and bad.

I just use it for Linux distributions, well actually I use NZBs more now.

redeyedtreefrog
09-Dec-10, 23:11
I just use it for Linux distributions, well actually I use NZBs more now.

Which is why the content company "KILL ALL P2P TRAFFIC" strategy is terrible.

DocStone
09-Dec-10, 23:33

I find eztv.it much more illegal and bad to use, in fact just thinking about it makes me want to phone the polis.

EDDIE
11-Dec-10, 11:28
Idont know if it works but bid tv have been selling a dongle that plugs into u s b and they claim you can recieve thousands of tv & radio stations from round the world. They go like hot cakes everytime they are selling them,have been tempted a few times but would like to here from someone who has one. They useually go for around the £50.00 mark.

Is this the thing you was talking abou t below

http://www.bid.tv/ProductDescriptionPage.aspx?Id=4283716&Cat=6&Sub=11&Type=Categories

It might be one of these things thats legal to buy but illegal to use?
If someone in the usa wants to say watch bb1 maybey they can with this dongle but they are watching the program illegaly because there not paying a tv licence which is a legal requirement?
But it is silly when you think about it if someone wants to watch tv programs from other countrys whats the big deal if there willing to pay and even the network makes money out if

You can buy the dongle out of amazon for about £20 the reviews are quite poor link below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prolectrix-USB-Internet-Radio-Player/sim/B003BFBOII/2

south view 7
11-Dec-10, 21:08
Thanks for that Eddie,defo won"t bother with one now after reading reports on amazon.

oldmarine
11-Dec-10, 22:24
I receive Direct TV by way of satellite and able to view BBC with no problem.