PDA

View Full Version : Site for new Wick High School

PantsMAN
08-Dec-10, 19:58
Yes folks, you can download the detailed report here

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2010/December/2010-12-08-10.htm

Tubthumper
08-Dec-10, 20:55
So its the High School playing fields? Cool.

Stack Rock
08-Dec-10, 21:31
Surely the members will approve the report recommendation regarding the site.
I'm not in favour of the library and swimming pool being incorporated.

12.0 Recommendations
12:1 It is therefore recommended that:
• The new Wick High School is built on the site of the existing High School playing field site

• The new Wick High School campus should include a community library and a community swimming pool and as a result the existing community library and swimming pool would close

• Subject to the proposal being approved, instruct the Director of Housing and Property to dispose of the existing community library and the existing community swimming pool in accordance with the requirements of the title deeds and in accordance with the Highland Council’s asset management policy.

Blarney
09-Dec-10, 00:13
Whilst I'm delighted that common sense has prevailed in the choice of site, I can't believe that they would contemplate closure of the swimming pool after Wick waited for so many years for it to be built. There is absolutely no need to incorporate it in the new build. Another total waste of public money.

sweetpea
09-Dec-10, 00:47
So its the High School playing fields? Cool.

Where does it say that? In laymans terms I read the report but I'm none the wiser.

wickscorrie
09-Dec-10, 00:49
Do not think it would be a waste of money.There would be a pool at the new High School anyway?,so as long as we get a new modern well equipped and accessible pool/gym? for Wick it has to be good for the town.One thing though the people who work in our swimming pool at the moment would move to the new high school when it was built.The same could be said for our Libruary.What concerns the council at the moment is new laws on buildings they will have to comply with for each building so it would help if it was all under one roof,as long as all staff were to remain in their present jobs,rant over.

sweetpea
09-Dec-10, 01:01
So if I fancy a swim during the day I can just show up at the High School and dive in, great!. Sounds like it will be better facilities than the ones we have now.

_Ju_
09-Dec-10, 07:43
Public access to the swimming pool will be just as restricted as now then. Or even worse. And how can a public library give the highschool pupils the space they need to carry out their work?

squidge
09-Dec-10, 09:20
The pool in culloden is at the high school. It's a lovely pool but you can't swim during the day during term time.

brandy
09-Dec-10, 09:24
see this is where my major problem with the guym and swim idea is! i as a full time mum only have the time during school hours to go to the gym or pool.. now how are we the public who only have available time during school hours going to use the public facilities that in fact are not public like we were told.
im also concerned with the usage of gym equipment but underage students. do you honestly think that12-13 year olds are not going to be trying to use the equipment?

bluechesse
09-Dec-10, 10:25
Building on the Highschool playing fields sounds by far the best option. Dont understand why they would want to spend the extra on a public pool, gym and library though? Would it not be more like sense to leave the perfectly good pool and library where they are, rather than creat more empty buildings? By all means have a pool and library for the students, as there was in the old school. I cant see why you would want to put the public pool and library there though?

Venture
09-Dec-10, 10:56
In the transcript of the public meeting Bill Fernie answered the following question about the pool and library.

Questioner unknown: If we have a community library in the school, the adults can only use it when the pupils are not using it. Why can’t we have the pool and library in the school and have our own in the town?

Answer – Bill Fernie: One of the pressures facing the Council are the cuts cutting across Govt and local government for up to 10 years that government departments will face cuts and we have an opportunity here to consolidate our running costs and to reduce the costs of running many of our buildings. We have nigh on 2,500 buildings many of which of which are similar to Wick High School, they are not fit for purpose and difficult to dispose
of because we can’t move things easily. If we do not start to address the issue of costs, and some of these are hidden from the public. For example we face additional costs arising from the carbon tax, any organisation employing more than 5,000 people is obliged under law to pay a levy in relation to the energy consumed by that organisation. In future years if the Council does not reduce its output of carbon we face paying charges imposed via Europe and the Scottish Government. One of the ways of reducing the payment of carbon taxes is by reducing outputs in relation to fuel usage, heating, diesel, petrol for vehicles. Buildings are a big issue, with 2,500 buildings across the Council and when an opportunity arises to consolidate buildings, as in this instance in Wick, we have the possibility of reducing our running costs and therefore avoid future carbon levy charges. In relation to the pool it will be bigger than the existing pool – a 6 lane pool with seating which the current pool doesn’t have. With regard to libraries, for these of you who attended the budget consultation meetings in Caithness you will be aware that there are severe cuts coming. One of the ways of assuring a library service in future in Wick is to have a consolidated library service in one place within the new school.

PantsMAN
09-Dec-10, 11:01
The Scottish Govt. are giving an extra £2m pounds towards the new 6 lane pool.

The technology available for heating/ventilation and heat recovery has moved on since the last pool was built and may be a large factor in the new build.

The document available from the link below details the opening hours for the public at Portree pool which is also part of their new school.

http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/F25AB998-AB60-49AA-A206-7A9ECE7BF698/0/101027arainnfhinnfingalcentreswimmingpoolxmastimet able2010.pdf

Stack Rock
09-Dec-10, 20:02
Has apathy set in? - I'm amazed at the lack of response to this post.