PDA

View Full Version : Advice for tonight/tomorrow

Tugmistress
08-Dec-10, 18:03
it may not occur to everyone, but when all this snow melts it needs to run away down drains etc, if you know where your nearest drain hole in the gutter is, then please go and dig it's surface free from snow so the melt water can run away faster! i've just done the one i know where it is outside the garage and also made a chanel through the thick stuff to it from the middle of the road.
i know it seems obvious but i remember seeing a house flood through melt water when their drain was blocked with the remnants of snow lol

my apologies if you've already thought of this.

Corrie 3
08-Dec-10, 18:06
Good advice Tugs...I wonder if the council have unblocked the road drains at all. I havent seen the Gully Sucker round here in years.

C3....:(

bekisman
08-Dec-10, 18:13
Just looked around the back of the house - in the shade and on the north side, and the snows melted! - still on the south though...

cazmanian_minx
08-Dec-10, 18:29
Melting just up the road here too - BUT there's just been a big rattle of hail at the windows :(

Stack Rock
08-Dec-10, 18:31
Good advice Tugs...I wonder if the council have unblocked the road drains at all. I havent seen the Gully Sucker round here in years.

C3....:(

I've witnessed the gully sucker cleaning out the road gullys in the main towns and villages on numerous occasions especially after the autumn leaves. They probably can't get to them all.

Blarney
09-Dec-10, 00:56
Another timely reminder might be to warn folk that huge quantities of snow and ice will be falling off roofs as the thaw starts. I witnessed a massive fall of snow off a roof on Saturday during the rain. Luckily there was no-one directly beneath it or there would have been injuries.

sweetpea
09-Dec-10, 00:58
Another timely reminder might be to warn folk that huge quantities of snow and ice will be falling off roofs as the thaw starts. I witnessed a massive fall of snow off a roof on Saturday during the rain. Luckily there was no-one directly beneath it or there would have been injuries.

Yes icicles in some places.