PDA

View Full Version : Flagstone Floor Treatment

mark125
08-Dec-10, 16:13
I have recently moved into an old cottage with beautiful flagstone floors, unfortunately, they have suffered the test of time and are no longer black. They need some work to restore them to their former glory.

Can anyone recommend what to treat them with after a good scrub? An oil perhaps?

Cheers

stixie
08-Dec-10, 16:28
Linseed oil works, but might be costly.

I've also been told milk! But i've not tried it yet! Might be smelly.

Some of the companies such as Caithness Stone Industries might sell a treatment you could try.

seadog
08-Dec-10, 16:43
They certaintly used milk in the past and I have used it on flagstone hearths with good results. It darkens the flag and gives it a good lustre. You will probably have to treat it a few times but easy to keep on top of it once it is done.

And no, I do not recall a sour milk smell treating flags this way and it is very cheap.:)

dream soul
08-Dec-10, 17:05
The crofters used to always use buttermilk because it gave the flags a lovely blue shine. :D good luck with it anyway!!!!

davem
08-Dec-10, 17:22
Caithness Chemicals at the Airport ind Est used to do something that finished flags nicely.
They could well still ..................

stixie
08-Dec-10, 17:33
Great to know milk doesn't smell!!

Used linseed oil on my hearth almost 2 years ago and never had to reapply yet!!

Mind you it's a stove so not many ashes on the hearth if i can help it!

Kevin Milkins
08-Dec-10, 18:09
I have used this product with great result, and I have an unopened tin if you want to give it a shot.

Liberon 004419 Stone Floor Sealer 1 Ltr (http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=Liberon+stone+floor+sealer.&cid=1853031453982128859&ei=Rrv_TNCLB5zixQW82tHVCQ&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p)

jumbledrainbow
08-Dec-10, 22:07
I work at up at one of the quarries, we normally recommend 'glow' from Caithness chemicals.

Although as most people have said already, Linseed oil, Milk...ive even got someone who swears by baby oil. It depends if they are marked or not or if it is literally bringing them up to a better finish scrubbing them then glow would be my advice :) hope that helps!!

oh and I noticed stixie said Caithness Stone might sell stuff, we don't, we can give you proper advice though if you want to bring photos and show us :)

Blarney
09-Dec-10, 00:30
Linseed oil works a treat and a little goes a long, long way.

ywindythesecond
09-Dec-10, 12:44
Black boot polish, lasts for ages.

teddybear1873
09-Dec-10, 14:07
All types of flags need different treatment. Try a test on a few area's.

Even try an impregnator to give it a seal, to see how it comes out.