PDA

View Full Version : Charity Auction & Dinner - Ackergill Tower

wick-festival
14-Aug-06, 12:11
Hi All,

As part of our summer of 'firsts', we're holding a charity auction & dinner.

We have weird and wonderful items for auction, special items such as chauffered dinner tickets, weekends away and novelty items that won't raise much more than 50p!

Tickets can be booked via telephone 01955 605858 or by email carol.smith2@highland.gov.uk

http://partisgroup.com/ackergill.jpg

gleeber
14-Aug-06, 17:59
I went to a charity auction boxing evening in darkest Hertfordshire about 30 years ago. It was an unlicensed event, bare knuckled fighters and the door was manned by a guy who had been a member of the Kray gang. The good cause in question was for 2 families whose husbands had been stitched up by the local lawmen and although these guys were career criminals the police would have recieved heavy sentences were their methods believed. The families recieved every penny from the event and the crook who supplied the marquee paid for it out of his own pocket. He could afford to. He was a bank robber. Nasty bunch, but that's life.
I know this is a far cry from the Ackergill Tower doo, but I wondered how much of the 50 quid for dinner was being given to the good cause?

wick-festival
14-Aug-06, 19:34
I went to a charity auction boxing evening in darkest Hertfordshire about 30 years ago. It was an unlicensed event, bare knuckled fighters and the door was manned by a guy who had been a member of the Kray gang. The good cause in question was for 2 families whose husbands had been stitched up by the local lawmen and although these guys were career criminals the police would have recieved heavy sentences were their methods believed. The families recieved every penny from the event and the crook who supplied the marquee paid for it out of his own pocket. He could afford to. He was a bank robber. Nasty bunch, but that's life.
I know this is a far cry from the Ackergill Tower doo, but I wondered how much of the 50 quid for dinner was being given to the good cause?

Nice example!

As with all the events in our summer of firsts, they're being organised by the memorial garden (world war II air raid victims - wick ltd) and so naturally all profit goes to the garden. No volunteers are paid for their time, the members and board included.

Ackergill do the dinner at cost, and give us the venue and staff for FREE. So we will get approx half of the cost of the dinner as 'profit' which will go to the garden. All the auction items are being donated, nothing bought in, so 100% will be gained from that.

So the bottom line is that there is one, but it will be minimal thanks to the kind and generous folks at the tower.

obiron
14-Aug-06, 19:48
as nice as it would be the tickets are a bit out of my price range. lot of money for the 2 of us.

gleeber
14-Aug-06, 20:27
Ackergill do the dinner at cost, and give us the venue and staff for FREE. So we will get approx half of the cost of the dinner as 'profit' which will go to the garden.
Thanks for the reply.
That sounds like a nice gesture.
Is it a posh do, frocks and suits and how many does the Tower hold for dinner?