PDA

View Full Version : Not just england

bigjjuk
07-Dec-10, 09:14
Just a little post to wind a few patriotic scots up :)

Well seeing the news its not just england that cant handle the weather eh???

Dont take this to personal, just having fun :)

Corrie 3
07-Dec-10, 12:53
10 inch of snow in the central belt in freezing conditions is a lot more hazardous than the half inch that brought London to a standstill.
We have had it now for 14 days, how on earth would they cope with that lot down south?

Oh I know, they would panic buy !!!

C3....:lol:

upolian
07-Dec-10, 12:54
What snow?

Dadie
07-Dec-10, 13:22
:lol: I panic buy everytime I go shopping!
Its called shopping with 3 kids with me!
Its called throwing stuff in the trolley as fast as I can...then wondering how it costs so much.
Its going to be bigger less frequent shopping trips at the moment...
As im refusing to leave the house until I really have to.
But im running low on dogfood (special diet) and nappies...even with using the reusables at home on Euan and leaving Iona with a bare bum.
Bread, milk,veg and meat etc is all ok.
But I will combine the shopping trip with the dentist appt.
And I will ask a couple of people if they need anything before I go!
I dont mind driving in snow if im on my own, but its a different story with the kids in the car, between them fighting and argueing if we got stuck I would be driven demented!

ShelleyCowie
07-Dec-10, 13:32
:lol: I panic buy everytime I go shopping!
Its called shopping with 3 kids with me!
Its called throwing stuff in the trolley as fast as I can...then wondering how it costs so much.
Its going to be bigger less frequent shopping trips at the moment...
As im refusing to leave the house until I really have to.
But im running low on dogfood (special diet) and nappies...even with using the reusables at home on Euan and leaving Iona with a bare bum.
Bread, milk,veg and meat etc is all ok.
But I will combine the shopping trip with the dentist appt.
And I will ask a couple of people if they need anything before I go!
I dont mind driving in snow if im on my own, but its a different story with the kids in the car, between them fighting and argueing if we got stuck I would be driven demented!

Im desperately trying not to panic buy, but i dont drive so im stocking up so i dont have to rely on my mum taking me out.

Wont be running low on nappies anytime soon! Bought bulk packs when i was in asda (have about 200 nappies between the 2 in them) baby wipes im fine. Running low on formula tho :eek:

Using alot of veg for soups so im running low on that too. I hope i can get shopping tomorrow because there are things i really need!

But....at times like this im glad i have a bread maker!! :D make my own instead of fighting for it at the supermarket!

lindsaymcc
07-Dec-10, 13:34
admittedly, Tesco didnt have as much bread as usual today, but milk seemed ok. I have stocked up with enough to last until at least saturday/sunday.

bigjjuk
07-Dec-10, 16:03
The pics that my friends from London sent me, state they had about 10 inches as well. ITs just a bit of fun :~)

porshiepoo
07-Dec-10, 16:45
10 inch of snow in the central belt in freezing conditions is a lot more hazardous than the half inch that brought London to a standstill.
We have had it now for 14 days, how on earth would they cope with that lot down south?

Englandshire doesn't just consist of London you know.
Yorkshire has suffered just as bad as us with the snow as have many other places.

mrlennie
07-Dec-10, 16:55

Yeah I heard it was bad people staying over night in schools and stuff your about to see how they cope with it down there as it is said to be heading south:eek:

emb123
07-Dec-10, 17:24
it's all well and good having a poke at how Scotland is coping, but it looks to me like there is some sort of countrywide council conspiracy going on to do as little gritting and snow ploughing as possible and at times when it makes the least sense whilst still going through the motions of being seen to do their 'best' just to prove to Holyrood & Westminster that if their budgets are being cut then they'll make the whole country grind to a halt.

The roads were nothing like as deadly over winter last year but the weather was every bit as bad as this, if not worse. It's either cost-cutting, maladministration or both. Take your pick.

I see the council website's section about the roads in winter...
http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourenvironment/roadsandtransport/wintermaintenance/

This section made me laugh...
The Council is NOT responsible for winter maintenance on unadopted roads. It will however make every effort to provide assistance for emergency and medical services during severe weather conditions where there is an urgent need for safe access.

I take it that Highland Council Inverness's definition of 'unadopted road' means 'a road that is north of Golspie' ??? ;-)

patsy1
07-Dec-10, 22:54
well l must admit when l was down south last year we had a lot more snow than this and l being a community carer l didn't stop we all kept driving round to our people.
But everything else stopped ha ha ha

ywindythesecond
07-Dec-10, 23:16
it's all well and good having a poke at how Scotland is coping, but it looks to me like there is some sort of countrywide council conspiracy going on to do as little gritting and snow ploughing as possible and at times when it makes the least sense whilst still going through the motions of being seen to do their 'best' just to prove to Holyrood & Westminster that if their budgets are being cut then they'll make the whole country grind to a halt.

The roads were nothing like as deadly over winter last year but the weather was every bit as bad as this, if not worse. It's either cost-cutting, maladministration or both. Take your pick.

The Council is NOT responsible for winter maintenance on unadopted roads. It will however make every effort to provide assistance for emergency and medical services during severe weather conditions where there is an urgent need for safe access.

I take it that Highland Council Inverness's definition of 'unadopted road' means 'a road that is north of Golspie' ??? ;-)

When did your Council tax last go up? If people don't pay tax, Governments and Councils don't have money to spend. I suspect that you have been happy to pay low Council tax for the last few years, so don't whinge now.
An unadopted road is a private road not yet brought up to the standard required for the Council to take over its maintenance without a cost implication to the Council Tax payer,(my definition) ie you, if you own property. Or one of your neighbours if you don't.

northener
07-Dec-10, 23:43

Ya only moaning because you bought a girlie car that spins round in the snow, mate.;)

Stick some bags of cement in the boot of the car and you'll be happy again.:Razz

Or I'll rent you me Ford Connect for a sizeable payment.:cool:

Serenity
08-Dec-10, 00:05
My local shop has no fresh food at all :( Luckily I have some tinned soup in.

This year is an exception - the snow in south west England was pretty bad and now the central belt of Scotland is totally ridiculous and is not helped with people abandoning cars (a few of my friends did this). No post, no rubbish pickup, no streets near me gritted or ploughed, no deliveries of fresh stuff to my local shop. I live in a city!!

But this is particularly bad. It is normally the case that Scotland gets on with it when there are fairly heavy snowfalls and southern England grinds to a halt if they so much as see a flake. This time both have seen really bad weather though. So it's not the normal comparison.

emb123
08-Dec-10, 00:35
When did your Council tax last go up? If people don't pay tax, Governments and Councils don't have money to spend. I suspect that you have been happy to pay low Council tax for the last few years, so don't whinge now.
An unadopted road is a private road not yet brought up to the standard required for the Council to take over its maintenance without a cost implication to the Council Tax payer,(my definition) ie you, if you own property. Or one of your neighbours if you don't.
I hate to say it but you are kind of stating the obvious as far as council tax and cash to spend is concerned, and you were rather putting words in my mouth which I wasn't saying or implying.

If I have a beef, it's that with local government being down in Inverness, we tend to get the table scraps up here. I also think that we all pay enough tax; heck, even children pay tax on the stuff they buy with their pocket money, to pay for the roads to be gritted when there is a need. If the council don't get enough from fixed council tax then some of the money the goverment extracts from us in other ways should find it's way to paying for the job to be done.

I know what unadopted roads are btw, I was being facetious. :)

emb123
08-Dec-10, 00:45
Ya only moaning because you bought a girlie car that spins round in the snow, mate.;)

Stick some bags of cement in the boot of the car and you'll be happy again.:Razz

Or I'll rent you me Ford Connect for a sizeable payment.:cool:
Aye, a 'hairdresser's car' lol, and you're right, it does help a lot having some weight in the boot. All the same I'm leaving it parked up just now and taking e bus. Too bloomin' dangerous on the roads. As you've mentioned yourself, doesn't matter how careful you drive, if folks around you aren't driving 'with due care and attention' then it can still get ugly.

How much ???