PDA

View Full Version : The right word??

Lolabelle
13-Aug-06, 22:27
I have used the gaelic word "bradach" to describe a villian in my story. In the gaelic dictionary this word means thief or deciever. I don't know if this will sound silly to the locals. As so many of you will end up reading it, I would not want anyone to cringe at my inappropriate use of gaelic. What do ya reckon?
(The reason for the use of the word at all, is because it is partially set in a medieval type of world.)

Kingetter
13-Aug-06, 22:43
This might help you generally -
http://www.ozgaelic.org/

Dr Evil
13-Aug-06, 23:36
how about a nn gaelic suggestion liike theiving little punk

Kingetter
14-Aug-06, 01:40
Use Gaelic if you are sure that your readership understands it otherwise its a lost cause.

Big Jean
14-Aug-06, 03:16
Hi Lolabelle,
I have to admit that I would not know the meaning, as I do not understand the Gaelic language, beautiful as it sounds . If you do use some of the words, could you not put a list of what the words meant at the back of your book ? I am sure it would be read by many people and perhaps I am not alone in not knowing Gaelic . J.

Kingetter
14-Aug-06, 03:23
Though Lolabelle says "I am writing for children". So would you be adding a glossary to a children's book or would you omit 'awkward' words? The alternative might be to add a footnote but I don't know what age group the story is set for.

Lolabelle
14-Aug-06, 05:26
Thanks for the input, the word is explained in the context of the conversation it is used in so having read it out loud, I think it actually does work ok. I am not using heaps of gaelic, just that really. My audience should be early teens, but hopefully will be a good read for others if I get it right. My main concern is to not put in any incorrect information. I have read books where something is stated and I know that it is wrong. I hate that. That's why I wanted to run the "Bradach" by you. It is basically a description of a character. Anyway I am pretty sure it will work ok. But I needed to get it out there and discuss it to clarify it for myself, and this has worked.

Kingetter
14-Aug-06, 11:11
There's lots to think about when writing eh? Lots to remember too.
Another thing that's worth mentioning IMHO is to write up separately a word portrait of each character, descriptions, ages, etc etc, and each place you 'use'. should you - in the course of the story or even a sequel - have to refer to it again, then you don't get yourself in a right old stramach.

DrSzin
14-Aug-06, 11:22
I have used the gaelic word "bradach" to describe a villian in my story. In the gaelic dictionary this word means thief or deciever. I don't know if this will sound silly to the locals. As so many of you will end up reading it, I would not want anyone to cringe at my inappropriate use of gaelic. What do ya reckon?
(The reason for the use of the word at all, is because it is partially set in a medieval type of world.)I would say it's the wrong word. I've never heard anyone use it in Caithness, or anywhere else for that matter. I would guess you're making the common mistake of assuming that a substantial fraction of Caithness people either speak or understand Gaelic.

I would choose a more appropriate word, one that is actually used in everyday language in Caithness. Unfortunately, I can't think of one right now. But I'm sure the collective wisdom of the Org can do it. And, if I'm wrong, then I'm sure the aforementioned collective wisdom will tell me. [para]

Kingetter
14-Aug-06, 11:41
I would say it's the wrong word. I've never heard anyone use it in Caithness, or anywhere else for that matter. I would guess you're making the common mistake of assuming that a substantial fraction of Caithness people either speak or understand Gaelic.

I would choose a more appropriate word, one that is actually used in everyday language in Caithness. Unfortunately, I can't think of one right now. But I'm sure the collective wisdom of the Org can do it. And, if I'm wrong, then I'm sure the aforementioned collective wisdom will tell me. [para]

Good point although I don't have sufficient Scots/Gaelic vocabulary to have an opinion on that word.
I think this example, plus some others, goes to show the problems of writing a story about/set in a place, that the writer has not any real experience of. Maybe that means the story needs to be less specific (therefore more general), so that one minimises these sorts of difficulty.
I have (on another forum) just been trying to explain in some way, what Glasgow humour is, to someone from Sweden. Not so easy.
Lolabelle's characters are supposed to be in Scotland, but, is that Scotland, or an Australian view of Scotland?

Lolabelle
14-Aug-06, 11:47
I guess if it ever gets to publishing stage we will find out if I got it right or not.

Kingetter
14-Aug-06, 11:50
Well keep running those queries - it will surely help.

Lolabelle
14-Aug-06, 11:56
That's why I am here. Gathering info. Ofcourse it remains to be seen what I manage to do with it, doesn't it. Writing about somewhere I have never been was always going to be a challenge, so we'll see. Good practice anyway!

Kingetter
14-Aug-06, 12:00
Treat this like a Writers Group, only you are the only one currently writing?

katarina
14-Aug-06, 12:11
Treat this like a Writers Group, only you are the only one currently writing?

I am too. Trying to get my wits around a novel.

katarina
14-Aug-06, 12:14
(The reason for the use of the word at all, is because it is partially set in a medieval type of world.)

Depends where the story is set. If in Caithness, then I would not use gaelic. The influence here is much more nordic. I may be wrong, but I do not think gaelic was ever spoken this far north.

Kingetter
14-Aug-06, 12:19
If we look at something other than Scots or English language, maybe try this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norn_language

Kingetter
14-Aug-06, 12:22
I am too. Trying to get my wits around a novel.

Then maybe something more needs to be done - not sure what but am thinking (while away to have a bacon roll).

katarina
14-Aug-06, 18:49
enjoy your bacon roll! Actually I just finished my novel - now at the revising stage. Whether it ever gets published or not remains to be seen.

katarina
14-Aug-06, 18:52
If we look at something other than Scots or English language, maybe try this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norn_language
Now I'm interested. why would a north german labguage be spoken in the northern isles? Did we once belong to Germany? Also words like 'peedie' sounds like the french 'petite' to me.

Kingetter
14-Aug-06, 18:52
enjoy your bacon roll! Actually I just finished my novel - now at the revising stage. Whether it ever gets published or not remains to be seen.
I certainly did, thanks very much. since then, mince & tatties. Later, Puffin Poo Ice Cream. Now, all agog about your novel. Umm, just checking I said agog, not agag (as in gagging!).

Kingetter
14-Aug-06, 18:57
Now I'm interested. why would a north german labguage be spoken in the northern isles? Did we once belong to Germany? Also words like 'peedie' sounds like the french 'petite' to me.

No answers I'm afraid - I haven't read that article - just thought it added something to the language issue in this thread.

Errogie
18-Aug-06, 22:52
It depends when your story is set. If it's Berriedale in the mid 19th. century then there's more than a 50 :50 chance of Gaelic being the norm unless it's some of the landed gentry speaking.

Perhaps the word you've heard is "Breugach" or liar. I knew someone who went by the nick name of Calum Breugach and it is also coincidentaly the name of a very old strathspey tune played by fiddlers mainly.

pultneytooner
18-Aug-06, 22:54
Very few people in caithness use gaelic.