PDA

View Full Version : Tuggs do I need to set the alarm in the morning?

changilass
06-Dec-10, 18:23
Tuggs are we likely to get more snow tonight/tommorow morning?

Is it all gonna freeze overnight?

Just wondering if its worth even setting the alarm so any info would be great.

Thanks Missus
xxx

Tugmistress
06-Dec-10, 20:31
Hi Changi,
mainly clear skies tonight with maybe the odd light snow shower, so yes it will freeze too but i don't think too far below zero, or certainly on the coast anyway.
hope that helps as i have no idea why or not you want to set the alarm lol

changilass
06-Dec-10, 20:33
School :roll:

Tugmistress
06-Dec-10, 20:43
lol fair enough, i would set your alarm then just in case they decide to open lol

lindsaymcc
06-Dec-10, 20:44
I think most schools will open tomorrow...... I think some of them may be regretting their haste in closing early today.

From what Ive seen of the weather, the odd light shower over night, so shouldnt make the roads any worse than they are now, and so fingers crossed for a business as usual day.

Slightly envious of you having to set the alarm though....... my children are my alarm clock........ no later than 6.45am on any day of the week! Although saying that, I woke seconds before the children at 6.57am this morning!

chaz
06-Dec-10, 21:04
I dont think it was in haste for the country pupils, we aquired another 6 inches today:)

changilass
06-Dec-10, 21:10
I think they shouldn't have opened in the first place today.

If the snow had stayed on for much longer and they hadn't closed then folks would soon be complaining if their kids had to spend the night in the school.

Going by Tuggs forecast, I think it will probably be safe tomorrow, but would be more than happy if they sent them home again should a heavy fall come again.

lindsaymcc
06-Dec-10, 21:12
Fair point for the country pupils, but to outright close the school I do think was hasty. Those that needed to travel, then yes, send them home, but for the town kids, there was no need at all.

Would be interested to know a rough percentage of town vs country kids in Thurso schools.....

changilass
06-Dec-10, 21:16
I can see your point, but you also have to take into account the teachers getting home.

Having said that, not all other workers get that consideration lol.

ShelleyCowie
06-Dec-10, 21:28
Truthfully, im hating this now! IF school closes when my step sons are there and i have to go get them, i have to take the pram out and my pram wont even move past my door step! its awful in snow.

my step sons are quite capable of walking home, but the school wont allow it? Why is that? :confused

Either open and STAY open (go by the forecasts in the morning) or close and be done with it! :roll: Not faff around like this, its causing chaos for some mums i know who are struggling to arrange last minute child care!

lindsaymcc
06-Dec-10, 21:43
I think thats where Miller must be doing ok..... I think most of their teachers are local. Admittedly, I know of 1 teacher who left early today, but the rest stuck around.

In my daughters classes today, there where 9 kids left in one class and 7 in the other. My girls loved it - they got Golden Time for the whole afternoon!

Blarney
06-Dec-10, 23:15
[quote=lindsaymcc;795458]Fair point for the country pupils, but to outright close the school I do think was hasty. Those that needed to travel, then yes, send them home, but for the town kids, there was no need at all.

Would be interested to know a rough percentage of town vs country kids in Thurso schools.....[/quote

When you say 'the town kids' I think you're forgetting that the county extends beyond Thurso. The snowfall in the Wick area was several inches today and that was on top of what was there previously.
The school head has to make a decision based on what is in the best interests of the majority and I'm sure that decision isn't taken lightly. They have a curriculum to follow and it can't be fun for the teachers trying to fit everything in to the remaining term time.

ShelleyCowie
06-Dec-10, 23:19
I know this wont help much but when my step sons are home from school just now i have them doing revision books. I have maths and english ones. Also got plenty books for them to read. i know its not helping the teachers with their stuff but i dont want them thinking that a little bit of snow will get them off doing sums! But they love the books and are learning times tables at a good rate :)

Scarybiscuits03
06-Dec-10, 23:25
I know this wont help much but when my step sons are home from school just now i have them doing revision books. I have maths and english ones. Also got plenty books for them to read. i know its not helping the teachers with their stuff but i dont want them thinking that a little bit of snow will get them off doing sums! But they love the books and are learning times tables at a good rate :)

Oh you slave driver!!!!:lol:
Nah I completely agree, I feel guilty when they are off school so try and teach my little one something - unfortunately she often ends up showing me how its done!!!!:eek:

ShelleyCowie
07-Dec-10, 00:08
Oh you slave driver!!!!:lol:
Nah I completely agree, I feel guilty when they are off school so try and teach my little one something - unfortunately she often ends up showing me how its done!!!!:eek:

hehe! They love it though. they arent boring books. Get to put stickers and things in too. The reading....they aint so keen on but i do encourage it! I love a good book :)