PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Roads

Wick66
06-Dec-10, 09:09
Any reports on the road conditions in Caithness this morning.

george1234
06-Dec-10, 09:30
latheron, little sprinkling, bower and surrounding apparently 2 inches... hope i helped a little bit

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
06-Dec-10, 09:32
Hubby doing 25mph in lorry at Thrumster - roads pretty rubbish - Groats to Thurso bad too.

george1234
06-Dec-10, 09:35
hope youre hubby gets home/work ok..... roads are not good atall.

DocStone
06-Dec-10, 10:33
Wick to Thurso road is mostly white, 30 to 40 mph the whole way. Really hope the wind doesn't pick up or the drifting will be really bad.

Walter Ego
06-Dec-10, 10:51
Our roads are still there. They're still made of tarmac.

Scrape away the snow and you'll see them.

Corrigall51
06-Dec-10, 10:56
There has been an accident at Hempriggs I just heard on MFR and vehicles blocking road

ducati
06-Dec-10, 11:27
Big snow again here. I'll bet they will regret re-opening many of the schools :eek:

supernova
06-Dec-10, 11:34
Has anyone been on the A9 or A99 got to travel to Inverness later for an exam tomorrow was wondering whether I'll make it or not.

neepnipper
06-Dec-10, 11:45
Blizzard conditions in Auckengill and no sign of stopping yet.

Jeid
06-Dec-10, 11:48
Just went to Spittal from Thurso and the roads were ok... then I came back and I'm pretty sure there was a road there, but I couldn't see it

lindsaymcc
06-Dec-10, 11:51
I wouldnt risk any journey at the minute...... wait and see how it pans out later once the gritters and ploughs have had a chance to catch up.

changilass
06-Dec-10, 12:00
Big snow again here. I'll bet they will regret re-opening many of the schools :eek:

They have just sent Castletown home.

Dadie
06-Dec-10, 12:07
Thats it..no option but to stay in and make a big pan of soup!
Might take the sledge out after the soups done...so we can have it when we come back..but the car is staying put...and the buggy..Euan can go in the baby carrier..

lindsaymcc
06-Dec-10, 12:08
Might take the sledge out after the soups done...so we can have it when we come back..but the car is staying put...and the buggy..Euan can go in the baby carrier..

Sounds like a plan!

Im waiting for the school to phone to collect the girls if this carries on much longer......

Doreen
06-Dec-10, 12:15
Daughter just phoned to say thurso high school is closing

Doreen
06-Dec-10, 12:16
Might take the sledge out after the soups done...so we can have it when we come back..but the car is staying put...and the buggy..Euan can go in the baby carrier..Good idea think i will do the same my car is staying put as well it needs dug out anyway:D

unicorn
06-Dec-10, 12:24
Daughter just phoned to say thurso high school is closing
Any idea about the kids in exams?

northener
06-Dec-10, 12:27
Ah well. Game over for the day by the looks of it.

The pub beckons.....:Razz

Doreen
06-Dec-10, 12:30
Any idea about the kids in exams?Dont know probably be cancelled what a sha:(me if they are

brandy
06-Dec-10, 12:37
*laughs* you mean your not going to teach the learners advanced snow driving tech?

northener
06-Dec-10, 12:44
*laughs* you mean your not going to teach the learners advanced snow driving tech?

Been doing it over the past few days with quite a few of my students. Great fun - especially on the Reiss to Sibster road.:Razz:Razz:Razz

Unfortunately, the blizzard this morning falls into the category of "it's not you that concerns me, it's the skill level of the prats around us that worries me" - so I've bailed out.

All it needs is one clown losing it on a bend (as witnessed at the Tescos' entrance this morning) and I'm out of action for more than a couple of lessons. Common sense, really.

Pity, but there y'go.

Dadie
06-Dec-10, 12:56
Wonder if the weather is bad enough to send the big kids home from work early?
Hubby wont say if sent home early..he will just appear at the door!

emb123
06-Dec-10, 13:03
Are the roads even being gritted any more ? I understand from the radio that Scotland has excellent stockpiles of salt.

I appreciate that we are entering into a period of needing to economise but it seems a bit crazy to skimp on the roads. If people can't get into work then gradually everything will just grind to a halt.

Not everyone lives in town. People are going to get killed. I think that is important.

Howcome Canada and Scandinavia can cope but the Highlands can't ?

I heard on the radio from a Scot now living in Canada that minus 20 degrees with a bit of sunshine is a nice balmy day for going out with sleds and snowball fights. Minus 40 and minus 45 is common during their winter. They don't close the schools unless the temperature drops to minus 50.

Sorry, but I'm quite angry with the state of the roads. Too much pennypinching on what is really important. Lives come before Christmas lights, for instance, even though it would be so dismal without the lights, I think the priorities are wrong.

brandy
06-Dec-10, 13:39
i would like to know whats happening as well dadie! don is due on back shift today! im slightly concerned now! and the weather line hasnt been updated since 6 am

Dadie
06-Dec-10, 13:52
The shifts are last to get off!
Unfortunately for Don....and if it gets bad through the later hours he might have to do a double shift...not fun!
Im going demented...Lauren and Iona are not giving me much chance of getting bored...how did a clementine fit in the video player I will never know!
Think we will be painting and glueing this afternoon as the snow is too deep for Iona to walk in...she went out the door and fell flat on her face twice on the path....:lol:

SunnyChick
06-Dec-10, 14:02
Our roads are still there. They're still made of tarmac.

Scrape away the snow and you'll see them.

Ha haaaaaaa. :lol:

Gronnuck
06-Dec-10, 14:40
I’m catching on fast with this Caithness driving malarkey. Leaving the car covered in snow, peering through a dinner plate sized clearing in the windscreen takes a bit of courage but a lot of these auld sweats can do it nae bother,:eek:. I learned today that hereabouts there is a shortage of vehicle light bulbs and you can preserve the life of your battery and save electrikery by driving without any lights on even if it’s blowing a blizzard! I’m sure a lot of Caithness folk have had years of practice.
I’m a bit more concerned about driving in this weather while using the mobile phone and balancing a cup of coffee/ tea on my knee; that must takes years of training. As a relative ‘newby’ and ‘incomer’ to boot I much prefer staying at home. However I will admit this morning’s run to Wick and back was a bit of an adventure; I’ve had enough adrenalin to last me till spring. ;)

Tugmistress
06-Dec-10, 15:00
absolutely brilliant gronnuck! hahaha sat here giggling now and about to head off in to 'the expert drivers' ;)

upolian
06-Dec-10, 15:05
My mates driving back from manchester,good luck to him [lol][lol]

emb123
06-Dec-10, 15:28
was just thinking up expected answers to any questions about why the roads are not being properly treated from 'responsible people' in Highland Council, Transport Scotland etc....
"we recommend that people heed warnings from the Police and motoring organisations, and make only essential journeys".

How do we define "essential" ? What kind of useless recommendation is "make only essential journeys" ?? Does 'earning a living to pay for increased coal/oil/propane costs so you don't freeze to death' get classed as 'essential' ? What is the cut-off point point where it is it better to freeze or starve or both than dare to use the roads ??? [disgust]

Rant over :)

Btw, brilliant assessment Gronnuck!!

onecalledk
06-Dec-10, 15:36
I drove back from Huntly last night. Left Huntly at approx 4pm, maximum speed really was about 45mph, roads actually not too bad. From Forres to about Golspie roads excellent back up to 60mph in places, black, lulled me into false sense of security.

My nightmare started from Brora and just got worse and worse. Causeymire wasnt too bad thought I till I got to Georgemass. When I set out I thought that driving from Aberdeenshire would be the worst bit, how wrong I was. But they appear to have gritted the roads down there.

Thurso to Castletown was interesting and Castletown was a lot of praying.

There is a lot of snow in aberdeenshire but the roads ARE driveable once the gritters have been out. I would never have thought that Caithness would be so difficult to drive in. As the population up here is really far apart in distantance and people HAVE to drive to reach food/shops/work why are the roads so bad ?

K

fingalmacool
06-Dec-10, 21:42
Seen two wrecks today on the back of two separate lorries in Wick today, strangely enough they were both 4+4s, does this speak volumes about the mentality of some drivers that think just because they have the machine to cope with the conditions, means that they can drive like a prat:confused

Incidentally one of said prats passed me today, while i was doing around 40mph on packed snow??:confused

Duncansby
06-Dec-10, 21:53
Mentality of some drivers I think. Some seem to forget that regardless of how good a machine you may have, driver competence is much more important. I had a 4x4 sail past me last week and I had to chuckle to myself as he slid about in the slush as he came back in. That is until I thought about where me and my car could have ended up if he didn't regain control!

Corrie 3
06-Dec-10, 22:18
Gronnuck,
I made it into Wick today after 10 days of heeding warnings not to drive only if its essential, well today was essential and I have witnessed the most awful and dangerous driving by the good people of Wick. I know they arent the best in the world even on good days and I often wonder how some of them would go on in say Glasgow?
Today I have witnessed people pulling out in front of me causing me to brake in the slush, loads of people turning and not using indicators, people using indicators but you cant see them because they havent cleared the snow off them. People with peep holes to see out of the windscreen, snow flying of the roof because they havent swept it off. When it was dusk I lost count of the people who hadnt put their lights on and quite a few had bulbs that had blown turning them into one eyed monsters.

Thankfully I wont have to go to Wick again this year but next time I go I am going to be very weary, surely the standard of driving in Wick has got to improve for everyones sake.

C3....:~(

QUADBIKER
06-Dec-10, 22:52
Seen two wrecks today on the back of two separate lorries in Wick today, strangely enough they were both 4+4s, does this speak volumes about the mentality of some drivers that think just because they have the machine to cope with the conditions, means that they can drive like a prat:confused

Incidentally one of said prats passed me today, while i was doing around 40mph on packed snow??:confused
inconsiderate drivers, whilst the recovery operator was recovering these vehicles, the recovery operator was near took out by an idiot in a porsche cayenne. This was on the A99 at Hempriggs, the idiot in the porsche was doing about 60-70 mph there had already been a two car accident due to the conditions. I hope this pratt is a member on here an inch or two more and the recovery operator would not be here now. before any smart comments the recovery wagon had hazard lights, headlights, and a large flashing beacon on the roof all operating also the technicians had high vis clothing on.

Scarybiscuits03
06-Dec-10, 23:02
inconsiderate drivers, whilst the recovery operator was recovering these vehicles, the recovery operator was near took out by an idiot in a porsche cayenne. This was on the A99 at Hempriggs, the idiot in the porsche was doing about 60-70 mph there had already been a two car accident due to the conditions. I hope this pratt is a member on here an inch or two more and the recovery operator would not be here now. before any smart comments the recovery wagon had hazard lights, headlights, and a large flashing beacon on the roof all operating also the technicians had high vis clothing on.

What folk need to realise is that at driving at those speeds in these conditions, it's not only their own lives they're putting at risk - what about the folk they collide with......absolute idiots!

black16i
06-Dec-10, 23:11

fingalmacool
06-Dec-10, 23:16
are you right ? how do you know that these people were all from Wick? i think that these are bad drivers all over the country...not just Wick...but hey if you aint happy, dont come back to Wick, im sure we wont miss you........

Face Palm moment:confused

Scarybiscuits03
06-Dec-10, 23:21
Face Palm moment:confused

Brilliant !!!!:lol:

Gronnuck
06-Dec-10, 23:35

Let's not get mad at the Porsche Cayenne driver they've been training for years to be Caithness's one and only stunt car driver. :confused They probably started with a Citroen Saxo with a boom box and a plastic body styling kit. :cool: Now they think they're at the top of the tree.
You'll notice tho' that the Cayenne will never be parked on any of the town's streets or in a Tesco car park; thae places will now be beneath them. :lol:

fingalmacool
06-Dec-10, 23:37

You cant take it back now, you got to stand by your foibles:confused

brandy
06-Dec-10, 23:46
i have a 4x4 but still was going only about 10-20 mph yesterday! *grins*
more than likely anytime i am out i will have my kids with me.. so im not going to be stupid
when it comes to driving.. and even if i didn't have them with me.. im not gonna be stupid.. as i don't want to leave them with out a mum!
i saw an idiot going down my street this afternoon at normal speed.. our street dosent even get gritted at all! i was just waiting for him to plow into one of the parked cars!
however, if this keeps up im heading for watten stealing a certain mare that i love.. and hooking her up to a sleigh.. *Laughs* im sure i wouldn't be shot.. wait.. no i might be.. hmmm if i stay close enough to the horse her owner wouldn't risk it!

beelag2000
07-Dec-10, 00:03
Is part of the current problem the assumption that so much salt will be thrown on that the tracks should be black tar but with the quantity of snow that keeps falling then it becomes a slushy, slippy, unpredictable sloosh.
Many of our comparable latitude nations do not have the benefit of the gulf stream to keep them mostly clear of snow and ice during winter, how do they cope?
Not by trying to melt the snow with millions of tons of salt, (in their length of winters it would bankrupt their countries) but by regular ploughing. Vehicles then drive on top of firm packed, non salted, stable snow. With suitable tyres (anyone remember 5" wide Town and Country's, they took a bit of stopping) for the conditions and drivers that have honed their skills on this stuff every year they manage every year with no fuss.
This is how it used to be in this country as well until we were wooed in the 60's/70's by this love affair for salt, salt and more salt. (Not good for your arteries y'know)
Part of the problem also is that our modern cars (and many of the poseur 4x4's) have wide low profile tyres with mostly longitudinal tread patterns, great for black tar, absolutely hopeless in slush, snow and ice.
Will we ever go back to no salt? probably not, but it would have probably been easier to drive in, other than in the steepest of hills, over this last week.
Just a thought

beelag2000
07-Dec-10, 00:10
Is part of the current problem the assumption that so much salt will be thrown on that the tracks should be black tar but with the quantity of snow that keeps falling then it becomes a slushy, slippy, unpredictable sloosh.
Many of our comparable latitude nations do not have the benefit of the gulf stream to keep them mostly clear of snow and ice during winter, how do they cope?
Not by trying to melt the snow with millions of tons of salt, (in their length of winters it would bankrupt their countries) but by regular ploughing. Vehicles then drive on top of firm packed, non salted, stable snow. With suitable tyres (anyone remember 5" wide Town and Country's, they took a bit of stopping) for the conditions and drivers that have honed their skills on this stuff every year they manage every year with no fuss.
This is how it used to be in this country as well until we were wooed in the 60's/70's by this love affair for salt, salt and more salt. (Not good for your arteries y'know)
Part of the problem also is that our modern cars (and many of the poseur 4x4's) have wide low profile tyres with mostly longitudinal tread patterns, great for black tar, absolutely hopeless in slush, snow and ice.
Will we ever go back to no salt? probably not, but it would have probably been easier to drive in, other than in the steepest of hills, over this last week.
Just a thought

purplelady
07-Dec-10, 00:11
I travel between perth and wick last nite by bus it was a bit hairy at times but we made it home and only 10 mins late getting in hats off to the bus driver who had to drive in some awful conditions xxxxxxx

emb123
07-Dec-10, 00:16
Just a thought
Yep, I agree with your comment and all the other comments about ridiculously dangerous driving being done in these road conditions. And yes, my car is rear wheel drive with wide low profile tyres and longitudinal tread patterns. Absolutely lethal in this weather.

A WARNING to anyone driving up the rear of any sports/powerful car (i.e. the sort of car that would be rocketing past you in summer) absolutely crawling along in this weather.....
....we're not crawling along at 20mph because we're wusses, it'll be because if we put our feet down so that you're happy, the whole back end of the car will spin round turning into a metal wall directly in front of you.

Keep your distance if you don't want to test your airbags, lose your car & no claims discount.

Remember: sports cars are death traps in this weather and if you are too close to one if it goes out of control it could be your death too.

brandy
07-Dec-10, 00:18
i remember the blizzard of 93 back home.. (NC) the snow plow went off the road at the top of the hill! it was a really bad one let me tell you! the police were ticketing people for being out in the weather without good cause.. and also asking for help with vehicles!
they asked anyone with 4x4s and chains to call the stations and offer the use of their cars.. so they could get transport for emergency personnel to and from hospitals, fire stations, police stations ect..

oldmarine
07-Dec-10, 00:26
I'm sure enjoying the pleasant winters in Tucson where I no longer have to see the ice and snow on the roads I used to see in Northern Indiana where I lived prior to WW2. The South Pacific spoiled me and I had to find a warmer climate. I found it in Tucson. Arizona and I enjoy the warmer weather here.

sweetpea
07-Dec-10, 00:32

I saw the 2 wrecks at Geordie Hacksaw's. That man must have seen some crashes in his time.
I got a lift from Thurso to Wick at lunch time today and there was some nutters overtaking us the whole way on packed snow.:(

Dadie
07-Dec-10, 00:37
I was stuck ...couldnt move the car....did I care ...no!
Well yes really I need stuff..but it can wait a couple of days as the wee shop in Watten doesnt stock what I need!:lol:

sweetpea
07-Dec-10, 00:43
I took the bus up to Thurso but then got a lift home, haven't had the car out for days as it skids all over the place. I'm seriously planning winter tyres but was told I might have a job as they might be sold out. My tyres are pretty new but I think winter ones can be used in summer which would make up for the money to put them on.

ducati
07-Dec-10, 08:42
Winter Tyres. My understanding of the claims for modern winter tyres are that they perform marginally better on cold wet Tarmac. (below 7 degrees Centigrade).

So, snow-No. :eek:

Snow tyres would be useful, but they only work well on snow. On tarmac they will wear out very quickly.

suth13
07-Dec-10, 13:58
what about the idiots that wont give way to vehicles coming up a hill covered in snow,common sense if you stop have way up a hill covered in snow your going to get stuck ,rant over.

lindsaymcc
07-Dec-10, 14:11
heard a rumour today that we are all out of salt up here now!!! May explain the state of the roads!

webmannie
07-Dec-10, 14:15
Anybody seen a gritter?

mrlennie
07-Dec-10, 14:19
I got over took by a lorry the other day. :(

I left my masculinity on the thurso wick road.....

Scarybiscuits03
07-Dec-10, 14:20
heard a rumour today that we are all out of salt up here now!!! May explain the state of the roads!

Surely not????? If that's the case I'll be housebound for a while!!! :lol: (on with the dressing gown and fluffy slippers!)

bekisman
07-Dec-10, 14:52
Well we ordered our 'Tyre socks' - (go on look it up).. And today had a call from M&H Carriers to say they had a parcel for us, but could not deliver as could not get onto Strathy Point; cos of snow.. now ain't that ironic! :(

MR_A
07-Dec-10, 15:46
What about the plank that parked their black vehicle half on and half off the verge after the bends after the hump back bridge leaving thurso?

Driving home after work last night in the pitch black and in the snow only to see what looks like a parked car up ahead, to get closer and find out its partly parked on the main road.

A good dolop of snow on top making its visibility extremely poor only to see the property has a drive but covered in snow. Surely its better to spend some time clearing the drive to get the car in than have someone plough into the back of it.

That's about as bad in my book as the numpty's in the WV transporter and Ford Mondeo that ranted past me leaving Wick the other day only to end up 2 vehicles in front of me getting out the Thurso side of Watten.

It really is shocking some of the planks on our roads.

Tugmistress
07-Dec-10, 15:49
Just driven from scrabster up to ormlie, going as canny as i could approaching the junction where castlegreen road? comes out opposite train station and could not stop! speedo wasn't even registering any speed heading down that bit of slope! luckily there was a gap and i could come straight out, but i apologise if i gave anyone the hibeejeebies ! that slush is worse than ice :(

webmannie
07-Dec-10, 16:38
Just driven from scrabster up to ormlie, going as canny as i could approaching the junction where castlegreen road? comes out opposite train station and could not stop! speedo wasn't even registering any speed heading down that bit of slope! luckily there was a gap and i could come straight out, but i apologise if i gave anyone the hibeejeebies ! that slush is worse than ice :(

Same happened to me this lunchtime, was purposefully driving VERY VERY slowly to the junction and the car carried on, luckily no cars in either direction as well!

porshiepoo
07-Dec-10, 16:47
Anyone know what the weather / road conditions are like at Skarfskerry at the moment?

OH is driving me nuts and if he can get out our lane tomorrow, that's where he'll be headed.

Gronnuck
07-Dec-10, 16:53
Anyone know what the weather / road conditions are like at Skarfskerry at the moment?

OH is driving me nuts and if he can get out our lane tomorrow, that's where he'll be headed.

I'm on the Mill of Mey side of Scarfskerry. Gritters are to-ing and fro-ing so the road has been cleared and well gritted but there are some ugly dark clouds blowing in from Orkney.
I'll update you in the morning porshie.

porshiepoo
07-Dec-10, 17:53
I'm on the Mill of Mey side of Scarfskerry. Gritters are to-ing and fro-ing so the road has been cleared and well gritted but there are some ugly dark clouds blowing in from Orkney.
I'll update you in the morning porshie.

Thanks for that.

emb123
08-Dec-10, 01:04
I got over took by a lorry the other day. :(

I left my masculinity on the thurso wick road.....
know how you feel :)

...but no buddy, just proves you're man with the brains of a man, not an impatient hormonal teenager still needing to prove something to his insecure little ego. (In case it makes you feel better lol)

Gronnuck
08-Dec-10, 10:00
I've PM'd you.