PDA

View Full Version : Damage/Repair Vehicles

caithnesslad
04-Dec-10, 21:51
Whats peoples views on a category C/D vehicle? Would you buy one?
Only asking because i was considering one as it was local, And it's been repaired to a very good standard, How much value would it lose?
Went to look at it tonight and really thinking about it but there's always something in the back of my mind thinking its had a good knock, The reason I ask is that the car is limited to just 500 released also, Cheers.

mrlennie
04-Dec-10, 21:55
Are you definete the frame/chassis is not twisted? Who did the repair? I don't know much loads about cars but these are basic things you should be looking for.

lindsaymcc
04-Dec-10, 21:56
Having worked in insurance, I wouldnt touch a CAT C with a barge pole. With a CAT D I would be checking out who did the repairs, whether all receipts are with the vehicle, and if there is any warranty on the repairs.

colingel
04-Dec-10, 22:00
Having worked in insurance, I wouldnt touch a CAT C with a barge pole. With a CAT D I would be checking out who did the repairs, whether all receipts are with the vehicle, and if there is any warranty on the repairs.

Why not ??? Its all about value ??? Is it not ??

lindsaymcc
04-Dec-10, 22:04
Its just me and safety! Here http://category-d.co.uk/ explains the categories!

colingel
04-Dec-10, 22:07
My last 4 vehicles have been insurance right offs and waiting on a new one home this week only way to get value for money imho

ducati
04-Dec-10, 22:14
You just have to remember when you sell; potential buyers will have the same misgivings as you do now. For me I would not buy one unless a) I could talk to the person who repaired it, and b) it was unbelievably cheap.

The ones I have seriously looked at where only about 10% less than book price, and that just wasn't worth the risk.

I might be tempted to buy a Cat D and repair it myself.

caithnesslad
04-Dec-10, 22:15
This is about 3k less than it should be un-damaged, thoughts?

mrlennie
04-Dec-10, 22:18
thoughts are too good to be true? can't get rid of it because of obvious faults which youve missed? Like what Ducati said can you speak to the person who repaired it?

colingel
04-Dec-10, 22:19
Sounds good value to me. But you are the one who has to decide

ducati
04-Dec-10, 22:20
This is about 3k less than it should be un-damaged, thoughts?

What is that as a percentage? Also, if it is a very high performance car, be very, very, wary :eek:

caithnesslad
04-Dec-10, 22:47
I wouldnt miss anything obvious, however it is about due for a major belt change which is a good few bob, Runs sweet as you like, It's a clio 182 trophy.

reddevil
04-Dec-10, 23:12
i bought a cat c car it had a vic check which means its not been stolen or been cut and shut car,im very happy with it,ive had it two years and my insurance was no diffrence.

ducati
04-Dec-10, 23:18
I wouldnt miss anything obvious, however it is about due for a major belt change which is a good few bob, Runs sweet as you like, It's a clio 182 trophy.

Interesting car, a lot of special parts, if you are determined to have one it might be the way to go, but be prepared for it to be worth next to nothing in 3 years time. Also check you can get insurance, some companies are reluctant to insure previous right offs. I'd check the belt replacement price as well because I have a feeling you will be horrified. :eek:

upolian
04-Dec-10, 23:56
Tempting as it is a performance car,goes like nuts,handles immense,there are 2 garages i would trust to sort it........who sorted it?

It does affect the value very much,a cat c i would not touch!

caithnesslad
05-Dec-10, 00:41
Yeah i had a run in it earlier tonight runs spot on and to be fair is pretty quick, the sachs damping set up feels unreal on the road too , no idea who repaired it think the guy bought it repaired from down England way, I only looked at it for the fact it was a trophy if it was a cat-d cup i wouldn't have bothered.

mrlennie
05-Dec-10, 00:43
Tempting as it is a performance car,goes like nuts,handles immense,there are 2 garages i would trust to sort it........who sorted it?

Lol richards in wick and richards in thurso?

upolian
05-Dec-10, 01:11
Lol richards in wick and richards in thurso?

Nope they dont do bodywork :P

EDDIE
05-Dec-10, 09:31
Only asking because i was considering one as it was local, And it's been repaired to a very good standard, How much value would it lose?
Went to look at it tonight and really thinking about it but there's always something in the back of my mind thinking its had a good knock, The reason I ask is that the car is limited to just 500 released also, Cheers.

Its not so much value it would lose if you bought and 6 months later wanted to sell it you would have to make people aware of the cars history which might make it harder to sell ?
And you have to tell people if its had any bad knocks its legal requirement.
With most timing belts if you dont change them when they should be there is a high risk it will snap.

I would not touch a car thats been in a smash and repaired no matter how cheap the car is
You dont get nothing for nothing in life

upolian
05-Dec-10, 11:34
Its not so much value it would lose if you bought and 6 months later wanted to sell it you would have to make people aware of the cars history which might make it harder to sell ?
And you have to tell people if its had any bad knocks its legal requirement.
With most timing belts if you dont change them when they should be there is a high risk it will snap.

I would not touch a car thats been in a smash and repaired no matter how cheap the car is
You dont get nothing for nothing in life

Totally agree :)

mrlennie
05-Dec-10, 13:11
Nope they dont do bodywork :P

Thought we were talking about mechanics lol

upolian
05-Dec-10, 13:23
Thought we were talking about mechanics lol

Damaged reapirables are fixed by coach builders aka 'sprayers' mechanics just get greasy and make things move [lol]

mrlennie
05-Dec-10, 13:31
Lol I would have thought that mechanics would have to at least check the car over?

upolian
05-Dec-10, 13:43
Lol I would have thought that mechanics would have to at least check the car over?

Yeah for engine damage or suspension components,for the main chassis and structural part thats the coach builders part!

mrlennie
05-Dec-10, 14:02
Well I learn something new there lol like I say don't know an awful lot about the process

Walter Ego
05-Dec-10, 19:51

If you feel the need to ask this question, then I'd say you're getting well outside your knowledge and comfort zone.

Walk away.