PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Page and Harrow Harbour

cullbucket
13-Aug-06, 08:05
Well, this one is really for Gleber2 as I hope he will know.
I should have asked him on one of those Newmarket Sunday afternoons years ago....some of the best days of my life....never mind, I can do it now....
Does anyone know why Jimmy Page was up in Caithness in the late 70s and how he ended up opening Harrow Harbour. I have seen the plaque many times but never been able to find out what the real story was.....
Thanks in advance....

scotsboy
13-Aug-06, 09:50
I remember being at the pub in Mey and "dance" in Mey hall afterwards - Gleber2 was indeed there with Jimmy Page. It was a Tuesday night I think.

Gleber2
13-Aug-06, 10:11
Well, this one is really for Gleber2 as I hope he will know.
I should have asked him on one of those Newmarket Sunday afternoons years ago....some of the best days of my life....never mind, I can do it now....
Does anyone know why Jimmy Page was up in Caithness in the late 70s and how he ended up opening Harrow Harbour. I have seen the plaque many times but never been able to find out what the real story was.....
Thanks in advance....

Councillor Bill Mowat met Jimmy Page in Inverness when he(Bill) was a reporter for the Record and Jimmy had bought Boleskine house. Bill, as a councillor, was involved in the scheme to rebuild the harbour at Harrow and he arranged for Jimmy to come and officially open the harbour. He also invited me to play at the dinner party after the event.

Yep, Cullbucket, some of the best music I have ever heard, let alone played, was in the Newmarket on a Sunday afternoon. Glad to hear that others feel the same!!!

sam
13-Aug-06, 11:17
Councillor Bill Mowat met Jimmy Page in Inverness when he(Bill) was a reporter for the Record and Jimmy had bought Boleskine house. Bill, as a councillor, was involved in the scheme to rebuild the harbour at Harrow and he arranged for Jimmy to come and officially open the harbour. He also invited me to play at the dinner party after the event.

Yep, Cullbucket, some of the best music I have ever heard, let alone played, was in the Newmarket on a Sunday afternoon. Glad to hear that others feel the same!!!

lol, the first time i ever saw you play was on a sunday afternoon in the newmarket when i was well under the influence and lord i have never seen anyone who can shake their head to the music like you can, i swear it shook so hard that i thought it was gonna come off and leave you still standing there playing the guitar.:lol: :lol:
no offence ment lol, the music was great and a good afternoon was had by all.

willowbankbear
13-Aug-06, 11:25

Nah, Gleber2 it was in the Camps Bar many moons ago that ye played some magic tunes that made us all get up & dance

Gleber2
13-Aug-06, 11:46
Nah, Gleber2 it was in the Camps Bar many moons ago that ye played some magic tunes that made us all get up & dance

Chings and crivens, all this talk of days gone by is getting me all misty eyed and nostalgic. Almost makes me want to do it again. Auld Bobby Murray was a big part of it and we can't get him back. He's driving the angels mad these days.
I truly miss the craic and although I am well past the big 60, I am better than I ever was(always was a bigheaded basket). Maybe I'll dust off the old Gibson and come and give her laldy in the Camps again although the Newmarket's not the Newmarket anymore now that it's all clean and modern.
Sam, I think I know you, and my head still moves pretty fast and has never come of in the flesh. In the spirit I'm not so sure.

pultneytooner
13-Aug-06, 11:51
Go for it gleber2.....

Gleber2
13-Aug-06, 12:29
Go for it gleber2.....

My old fans will stagger into the Camps with blue rinses and walking sticks, asking for El Paso or Now or Never. Chee this is fun I will say, gritting what's left of my teeth which will never play a Hendrix solo again.. No NO I couldn't bear it.

pultneytooner
13-Aug-06, 12:33
My old fans will stagger into the Camps with blue rinses and walking sticks, asking for El Paso or Now or Never. Chee this is fun I will say, gritting what's left of my teeth which will never play a Hendrix solo again.. No NO I couldn't bear it.
Ach weel, can ye no get yursel on video an post it here:

http://www.youtube.com/

willowbankbear
13-Aug-06, 13:00
I & many others would welcome the re-appearance, trust me:D

Gleber2
13-Aug-06, 13:13
I & many others would welcome the re-appearance, trust me:D

Do I sense a movement? Consult with your local watering hole and if offered enough folding green as an incentive I might be persuaded to be there in about an hour in some form or other.
Seriously, I have never really retired but I sit by a phone that never rings, wondering if people think that I have gone to the happy hash farm in the sky.[evil]

pultneytooner
13-Aug-06, 13:21
What note do you get if you throw a piano down a mineshaft?
A Flat miner.:eek:

cullbucket
13-Aug-06, 18:12
I'm glad I finally found out the story about Harrow Harbour even if it was a wee bit of an anticlimax - I was expecting Devil worshipping in Boleskine and satanistic pacts reagrding harbours, camster cairns etc..... I bet the gig that night was good though....
I would be up for a gig today if I was a bit closer to home, but never mind...
Gleber2 - would you have any recordings of smoke up the ganga, tree of life or my personal favourite - purple haze (HELP ME!) available?
PM and let me know so I can relive some of the old days... it will be a good one to get on the stereo when my old mates come to visit...

Gleber2
13-Aug-06, 18:29
I'm glad I finally found out the story about Harrow Harbour even if it was a wee bit of an anticlimax - I was expecting Devil worshipping in Boleskine and satanistic pacts reagrding harbours, camster cairns etc..... I bet the gig that night was good though....
I would be up for a gig today if I was a bit closer to home, but never mind...
Gleber2 - would you have any recordings of smoke up the ganga, tree of life or my personal favourite - purple haze (HELP ME!) available?
PM and let me know so I can relive some of the old days... it will be a good one to get on the stereo when my old mates come to visit...

Page never played, the wee Irish nyaff. High Society were playing at the dance doing Zep covers and Page refused to join them...I do have old recordings of these tunes and will see I can find them in the archives. Ganja and Tree of Life I have but not brilliant and I have one bad recording of Purple Haze somewhere with a drum machine . I will do some hunting and get back to you.:D

Naefearjustbeer
13-Aug-06, 20:25
Gleber2 - would you have any recordings of smoke up the ganga.

I have a drunken memory of that getting blasted out on the viewfirth green at on of the first open air concerts. How many years ago was that I wonder?

Gleber2
13-Aug-06, 20:29
I have a drunken memory of that getting blasted out on the viewfirth green at on of the first open air concerts. How many years ago was that I wonder?

About fifteen at a guess. Could be wrong. Bad case of prematurely frazzled memory.:eek:

Naefearjustbeer
13-Aug-06, 20:35
About fifteen at a guess. Could be wrong. Bad case of prematurely frazzled memory.:eek: I geuss that sounds about right, I was a poor apprentice back then and I made sure I didnt leave my carry oot lying around cause I would never of seen it again if I set it down. After that night I always remembered to either take a bottle opener or buy tinnies as my teeth paid the price :~( . They were great gigs though it was a shame they fizzled out.

Sporran
13-Aug-06, 20:42
Ach weel, can ye no get yursel on video an post it here:

http://www.youtube.com/

Aye, Gleber2, soonds lek a good idea til me! Would lek til see you an' Chobbersjnr performin' on video! :cool:

SNOWDOG
13-Aug-06, 21:36
ONE OF GROATS'S MANY ACCOLADES IS THAT JIMMY STAYED THE NIGHT AT AN ADDRESS IN THE HEATHERBELL COTTAGES AFTER THE OPENING OF THE HARBOUR. I CANT REMEMBER WHO IT WAS, BUT THEY MET HIM IN THE SEAVIEW AND THEN GOT HIM HOME. I DARE SAY A DRUNKEN MELEE FOLLOWED! :Razz

Gleber2
13-Aug-06, 21:39
ONE OF GROATS'S MANY ACCOLADES IS THAT JIMMY STAYED THE NIGHT AT AN ADDRESS IN THE HEATHERBELL COTTAGES AFTER THE OPENING OF THE HARBOUR. I CANT REMEMBER WHO IT WAS, BUT THEY MET HIM IN THE SEAVIEW AND THEN GOT HIM HOME. I DARE SAY A DRUNKEN MELEE FOLLOWED! :Razz

Not one to question this local folk tale, but Mr. Page claimed he had a bad cold and returned to Inverness. Of course, I could be wrong!!!

scotsboy
14-Aug-06, 16:19
Page never played, the wee Irish nyaff. Aye that was a bit of a dissappointment, and I think you are right I remember Bill Mowat mumbling something about him having a cold etc.

Is Page Irish then Gleber2? I know his middle name is Patrick, and he was born in London - I take it his parents were Irish?? I had heard (somewhat bizarrely) that Jimmy Page was a fan of Glasgow Rangers.......if his folks were from Northern Ireland this may explain it.

Sporran
14-Aug-06, 16:48
Aye that was a bit of a dissappointment, and I think you are right I remember Bill Mowat mumbling something about him having a cold etc.

Is Page Irish then Gleber2? I know his middle name is Patrick, and he was born in London - I take it his parents were Irish?? I had heard (somewhat bizarrely) that Jimmy Page was a fan of Glasgow Rangers.......if his folks were from Northern Ireland this may explain it.

According to Wikipedia, Jimmy Page is English....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Page

....but as you suggest, he could well be of Irish descent - just as Rod Stewart is of Scottish descent.