PDA

View Full Version : Whats on in caithness today ?

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
04-Dec-10, 11:07
Unfortunately despite submitting our event to the what's on guide this week it has not appeared.

Canisbay Hall Craft / Table Top / Trade sale - Canisbay Hall today at 12:00 - 15-00.

15 stalls booked all teas/coffee/ raffle in aid of Dochas Education Trust.

newpark
04-Dec-10, 12:50
I too sent a email to have our toddler group in the whats on pages every wed and it is still not showing up.

ducati
04-Dec-10, 13:11
It's not for everyone Chris :lol:

upolian
04-Dec-10, 13:16
Whats in in Caithness today....... m let me see absolutely chuffin nowt...a barren souless land of nothingness...... cant wait until my rent agreement is up and then hopefully i can get back to the land of the living where folk actually TALK to you ...there ive said it ....... christ knows how i landed here ......

Tell it how it is!!![lol]

Gronnuck
04-Dec-10, 13:36
Whats in in Caithness today....... m let me see absolutely chuffin nowt...a barren souless land of nothingness...... cant wait until my rent agreement is up and then hopefully i can get back to the land of the living where folk actually TALK to you ...there ive said it ....... christ knows how i landed here ......

You'll be leaving then..... You will have made the effort to get out and about and meet and mingle....., you'll have made an effort to participate in your community and make lots of new friends. But all your efforts have been in vain because everyone else can't organise a party in a brewery....., they are all wrong and only you are right, :eek::confused.
Well cheerio....., don't slam the door on your way out.

zappster
04-Dec-10, 13:44
There must be a problem with it KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN coz our event that we submitted Did not go on either... Live music (inc some xmassy tunes!) with Doon Major in Wetherspoons Wick Tonight 10pm Free admission

Gronnuck
04-Dec-10, 14:33
Oh im leaving dont worry about that i will leave you to your county that still sits back in the 15th century and is so bloody stagnant that if i ever return to Wick(more chance of snow going up) that it will have never have changed and progressed one iota
Your welcome to it...just unfortunate i have a few months before i can say adios .....

Ps yes tell it how it is ...the truth as they say hurts .....

YOUR truth isn't hurting that many. There are a lot of people who have chosen to live here and enjoy it.
If you want every convenience available to you then I'd be the first to agree, Caithness is perhaps not for you. However I suspect you'll find difficulty wherever you carry the chip on your shoulder, ;).

upolian
04-Dec-10, 15:22
Oh im leaving dont worry about that i will leave you to your county that still sits back in the 15th century and is so bloody stagnant that if i ever return to Wick(more chance of snow going up) that it will have never have changed and progressed one iota
Your welcome to it...just unfortunate i have a few months before i can say adios .....

Hence why im also moving!

davem
04-Dec-10, 16:52
The point of the OP was to mention what was happening, not whether the choices available matched your view of what to expect from your choice of domicile. I think it is really rude to piggy back on a worthy post by wingeing about a choice 30k other people feel is just fine.
Once you have left you can go elsewhere to be disappointed.

welsh-witch
04-Dec-10, 17:17

well ive been here six years now n i find it a great place to live, people speak to me, but there again i make the effort to speak to them too,, and as for barren souless land of nothingness, well i have a feeling that will follow you around wherever you go:roll:

_Ju_
04-Dec-10, 17:57

You are confusing truth with opinion. Opinions are as many as there are people and yours has as much value as the next.
I moved here 8 years ago. From a climate that many pay good money to get to. I had to move back to that climate and home for a while, but after only a few months Caithness called me back. I love living here. It is remote and cold and the winter is long and dark. But it is beautiful. The summer light more than makes up for the winter nights. A sharp bright winter day with crisp snow on the ground is, in my opinion, better than a sandy beach in warmer climes. The people are welcoming. What is important to have up here is up here. Everything else I can reach through the woderful world of internet shopping.
My family and I feel that this is our home and I hope I am here for a very long time. An "incomer" (to use the local word and in the nicest sense of the word) once told me that they would choose to live their lives out here. At the time I had only just arrived. I do understand what they were saying perfectly now.

upolian
04-Dec-10, 19:06
Absolute twaddle ! One is not confusing truth with opinion at all...not by the amount of pms who have emailed me ..if you cannot see that this county is stuck and i mean STUCK in the 17th century then you need ruddy specsavers ! ( not that there is one here!)
Oh im getting a bus organised from Wick town squre January the 1st ( its already fully booked by the way ) heading down the A9 with all those people including myself who are totally depressed nah suicidal at the thought of living any longer ! Im having a leaving Wick party on board....thatta way driver!

There coming to take me away ah ah! maybe im going in a white van !

I can't disagree with what your saying........i will grab the case of beer for the bus down the a9 [lol]

crayola
04-Dec-10, 19:22
Whats in in Caithness today....... m let me see absolutely chuffin nowt...a barren souless land of nothingness...... cant wait until my rent agreement is up and then hopefully i can get back to the land of the living where folk actually TALK to you ...there ive said it ....... christ knows how i landed here ......Where is the 'land of the living' that you're heading back to?

crayola
04-Dec-10, 19:33
Can you be a little more precise? :lol:

I know it's none of my business but what made you move from 'South of Gretna' to Wick in the first place? I imagine you thought you would like living in Wick. What went wrong?

crayola
04-Dec-10, 19:48
It does appear that your hasty move wasn't the best choice on this occasion. I hope you find stability and happiness on your return south. And I hope you will take away some happy memories of Caithness and her people.

Blondie
04-Dec-10, 19:51
So why exactly the worst move? Please explain?

sids
04-Dec-10, 20:15
we couldnt find a house with an enclosed garden ...

Not anywhere between York and Wick?

Best of luck anyway.

sids
04-Dec-10, 20:22
What you need is a job. It doesn't half pass the day!

shazzap
04-Dec-10, 20:28
I love Caithness.
But one of the things i missed when i was there was, a decent take away, and take away delivery. Trivial i know but.

ducati
04-Dec-10, 20:40
Personaly, I don't see the deal. I dont live in Wick or Thurso so Chris would see me as even more impoverished.

Why on earth would you want to move to such a remote area if your idea of entertainment is a retail park. Have you been to see any of the coastline for instance, there is quite a lot of it and some of it is very spectacular. Visited a lighthouse perhaps, we have two or three of those. Go for a trip into the country side (I appreciate the weather but it's the same in Yorkshire).

Really, what were you thinking?

crayola
04-Dec-10, 20:46
Chris, if what you want is shops then I'm not surprised you weren't happy. Wick isn't about shops, it's about people and wide open spaces and big skies and remoteness from cities like Leeds. It's about the sea and the hills and the wind. But most of all it's about its people and its community. It seems to me that you might be complaining because Wick's community is different from the community you left behind. Are you sure you didn't like Wick just because it was different from what you were used to? I wonder whether you would have liked St Ives or Newquay or Plymouth if you'd headed to the far south-west instead of the far north. Would you have liked London or Bristol or Glasgow or Aberdeen. Have you lived anywhere other than Yorkshire and now Wick?

Wick and Thurso are different from York and Leeds but they're not 17th century. Don't forget that Caithness built Dounreay. And Caithness folk have been at the heart of the North Sea oil industry from the very beginning. And Caithness had two cinemas when I was young but sadly not now. :(

My son has just served up fajitas for dinner so I shall now stop...............

lindsaymcc
04-Dec-10, 20:49
I actually moved here to get away from the rat-race!

As the previous poster said, there is stunning scenery, fantastic walks all lifes essentials on your doorstep.

Ok, so there isnt a cinema or bowling alley or any of that - but there used to be and it obviously didnt work out due to people not using it!

As a young couple with 3 children, this is the best move we made. My children are so much happier and can actually play out without constant supervision, they have freedom! Not to mention my youngest girls asthma has improved drastically since moving here..... good clean scottish air!

At the end of the day, Caithness isnt for everyone..... my own brother looked at me as if I had 3 heads when I said we were moving here! He would hate to live here, he likes to visit, but he is a towny through and through. If it isnt for you, move on, but dont slate the area just because it isnt YOUR cup of tea!

changilass
04-Dec-10, 21:00
Having lived in Leeds for a number of years, I know which one I prefer, but then I don't like cities, as such I would never move into one again.

If you don't like the countryside/coast, then I suggest you never move to one again.

As most folks watch dvd's then the need for a cinema is just not there.

A trip to Inverness is a treat if you like cities, for me after a couple of hours I just want to get out of there.

I just don't see the atraction of cities, once you have been to one you have just about seen them all, same shops, same noise, same getting bumped in crowds, but each to their own.

Good luck with your move, just don't be too hasty and end up too far away from the bright lights again.

gingernut
04-Dec-10, 21:28
I also used to live in Leeds and was born in Bradford. Have lived in Caithness for 22 years and absolutely love it and would no way live back in Yorkshire.
Only venture back there once a year to visit relatives and can't wait to escape back to the far north.
Relatives living in Yorkshire constantly tell me about all the crime and problems they face on a daily basis i.e road rage, car theft, burglary etc etc
Caithness folk are friendly and welcoming and in my opinion Caithness is the best place on earth!

Blondie
04-Dec-10, 21:35
So what did you mean about moving somewhere where people actually talk to you?

Blondie
04-Dec-10, 21:38
I've just realised that you have deleted some of your posts? Why was that?

Blondie
04-Dec-10, 21:44
In fact it looks like you have deleted them all :roll:

Bill Fernie
04-Dec-10, 21:51
Unfortunately despite submitting our event to the what's on guide this week it has not appeared.

Canisbay Hall Craft / Table Top / Trade sale - Canisbay Hall today at 12:00 - 15-00.

15 stalls booked all teas/coffee/ raffle in aid of Dochas Education Trust.

The item appears in our Whats On listing at the admin end. But as it updates on a 24 hour cycle I can only assume it was only put in quite late on. Also the items all have to be authorised and as I was away maybe the authorisation was waiting till I got home.

Best bet for the Whats On is to get items in as far in advance as the event date is known

Sorry your event missed out.

Bill Fernie
04-Dec-10, 21:58
I too sent a email to have our toddler group in the whats on pages every wed and it is still not showing up.

I dont understand this about an email to have something in the Whatws On. the idea is that folk enter their own entiries in the Whats On. We long ago set it up as we could not cope with the volume of enquiries to get items on the web site for events.

Its easy to make multiple entries. All you do is enter it once then submit. Then hit the back button in your browser and change the date leaving the other entires in place. Repeats afor all the dates you require.

Sorry if I missed your email - assuming it came to me. I have got about 2000 in my back log awaiting attention. I do try to pick out ones that need immediate attention for the web site but the volume these days is massive.

So I do hope you can try and enter your events again using the submission for in the whats on section. There is also a link to it on the front page

Bill

Moira
04-Dec-10, 21:59
Yes I noticed that too Blondie. I thought the Ord was closed and Chris was stranded on this side of it......... but Nope, the Ord is open.

There are not too many roads out of the County of Caithness. I hope Chris is able to select the one nearest to him and take it. I wish him all the best. :)

_Ju_
04-Dec-10, 23:33
Absolute twaddle ! One is not confusing truth with opinion at all...not by the amount of pms who have emailed me ..if you cannot see that this county is stuck and i mean STUCK in the 17th century then you need ruddy specsavers ! ( not that there is one here!)
Oh im getting a bus organised from Wick town squre January the 1st ( its already fully booked by the way ) heading down the A9 with all those people including myself who are totally depressed nah suicidal at the thought of living any longer ! Im having a leaving Wick party on board....thatta way driver!

There coming to take me away ah ah! maybe im going in a white van !

There might not be a spec savers, but there is an optricians in Wick, close to the Coop. I suggest that you are sorely in need of them if you think that your living standards are equivalent to the 17th century ( or the 15th century. You have acused Caithness of being in both time warps). As I said before, it is an opinion. And good for you that you are making the decision to change what is making your life unhappy. Don't insist that everyone agree with you, or dismiss their opinions if they do not, though. It is a free world allowing you to take the road that will take you away and allowing others like me to happily land up here.
I think that your posts were probably deleted because you regreted some of the things you said or you wrote them when perhaps a 21 year old pultney had lossened your tongue. Or maybe you regreted the fact that some people who might know you and your nickname might read what you wrote. Either way, i just had to tell you something about Caithness: no one "talked to me" when I got up here either. But many people talked WITH me.

Gronnuck
05-Dec-10, 00:04
Originally Posted by Chrisf1961 http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=794343#post794343)
IMO this rant is indicative of someone who wants everything handed to them on a plate. There is enough going on in Caithness if you make the effort to get out there and participate! There are, as many of us have found, no strangers in Caithness, just friends we haven't met yet.
So Chrisf1961 instead of whinging about what Caithness has not done for you I would really like to know what you have done for Caithness.

crayola
05-Dec-10, 01:23
So what did you mean about moving somewhere where people actually talk to you?
Could it be that he always vanishes before anyone has a chance to reply to him? :confused

aurora32
05-Dec-10, 01:44
I was born in Leeds, lived in Otley and moved to Turriff(country home) in 1989, ive never been back to Yorkshire since moving up here and do not have the want to either, I moved up here from Aberdeen which I hated in May with my partner who is a Wicker and i have to say i have never met a more welcoming, nicer set of people, well most of them :) than i have done up here in Caithness, its a beautiful place with beautiful scenery, walks etc and you dont have to worry about getting stabbed whilst walking you kids to school, or gunmen making your street be closed and your building be in lockdown and surrounded by 20 plus police cars, riot vans etc cos he has had a falling out with his girlfriend and threatening to kill people. I wouldnt want to be anywhere else.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
05-Dec-10, 08:45
The item appears in our Whats On listing at the admin end. But as it updates on a 24 hour cycle I can only assume it was only put in quite late on. Also the items all have to be authorised and as I was away maybe the authorisation was waiting till I got home.

Best bet for the Whats On is to get items in as far in advance as the event date is known

Sorry your event missed out.

Thanks for the apology - I submitted twice - Once on Tuesday and then once very late on in case you were updating on Saturday.

Thanks