PDA

View Full Version : Vandal caught.

fender
04-Dec-10, 08:40
So the vandal who decided to trash the Jervis Bay memorial has been caught. However because she is only 14 she cannot be named. I'm sorry but this is a case where she must be named and shamed for what she has done.
If she had done something good I'm sure her name would be all over the papers

stivagorm
04-Dec-10, 09:15
Sorry disagree, laws are there to bring to justice and protect. On one hand they should be dealt with but also protected. We all make mistakes and am sure that this person will realise that they did make a mistake

painter
04-Dec-10, 09:31
Agree with you there Fender. Name & Shame !!

Corrie 3
04-Dec-10, 09:44
Its the Parents that should be named and shamed for not teaching their offspring that vandalism is wrong.

C3...:mad:

sjr014
04-Dec-10, 09:53
Sorry disagree, laws are there to bring to justice and protect. On one hand they should be dealt with but also protected. We all make mistakes and am sure that this person will realise that they did make a mistake

completly agree with you this person is 14 and we all make mistakes and how can we blame the parents, i made mistakes as a teenager but that certainly wasn't my parents fault!

Doreen
04-Dec-10, 10:01
So the vandal who decided to trash the Jervis Bay memorial has been caught. However because she is only 14 she cannot be named. I'm sorry but this is a case where she must be named and shamed for what she has done.
If she had done something good I'm sure her name would be all over the papersTotally agree my goodness 14 year old should know whats right and wrong

Corrie 3
04-Dec-10, 10:12
There is mistakes and then there is sheer vandalism, in my view vandalism isnt a mistake, it is wanton damage and when it is being carried out the vandal knows that they are doing wrong so how can it be put down to a mistake?

DMFB
04-Dec-10, 10:25
This kid has done wrong and been caught.They will be punished accordingly as set out in whatever system that she will now find herself in.Naming and shaming will not help in anyway other than to satisfy some folks curiosity as to who it is being a small community no doubt the tongues will already be wagging and the jungle drums will be distributing it far and wide.As for her parents well with the best will in the worlld some of us can put our heart and soul into raisning our children in a good manner but it sometimes doesnt work out.She has been caught and will be punished .I hope she learns from her error knowingly or not and moves forward in a more positive manner.

Gronnuck
04-Dec-10, 10:35
It seems to me that on one hand we have a lot of angry and upset people who were hurt that someone could be so insensitive as to write on 'their' memorial plaque. On the other hand we have a young girl who knows little of the war or of the sacrifices made by people involved in that war and acted on impulse and without any thought for the consequences. After all the war to her will be as distant as the Boar War is to many of us.
IMO the girl should be asked to write an essay, a report, or prepare a Powerpoint presentation on the Jervis Bay action and the subsequent repercussions for the relatives or community. This would go a long way to educating her and her generation of their community’s involvement in WW2 and be much more meaningful than the string of dates and events that passes for 'history' in schools today.

Mystical Potato Head
04-Dec-10, 10:37
This kid has done wrong and been caught.They will be punished accordingly as set out in whatever system that she will now find herself in.Naming and shaming will not help in anyway other than to satisfy some folks curiosity as to who it is being a small community no doubt the tongues will already be wagging and the jungle drums will be distributing it far and wide.As for her parents well with the best will in the worlld some of us can put our heart and soul into raisning our children in a good manner but it sometimes doesnt work out.She has been caught and will be punished .I hope she learns from her error knowingly or not and moves forward in a more positive manner.

Very well said indeed,theres too much of this i blame the parents rubbish,yes there are some trouble making parents who are never out of court and probably take pride in their kids vandalism but there are some lovely kind hearted people who do everything for their kids,set a good example etc but there are some who fall into the wrong circles and are influenced by them,doing things to impress their mates etc.
Why should parents who are doing their best be named and shamed other than satisfy the kangaroo courts.

joxville
04-Dec-10, 10:42

I agree

Its the Parents that should be named and shamed for not teaching their offspring that vandalism is wrong.

It's not always the parents fault. I was well raised but still went off the rails as a teenager, as did my younger brother; thankfully we saw the error of our ways and became the decent adults that we were meant to be. As much as I regret what I did, I regret even more the pain I caused my mum.

hunter
04-Dec-10, 10:57
The law regards children who commit offences differently from adults who commit offences.

It's rehabilitation for children more than punishment.

God knows, I got into enough scrapes growing up and did my share of graffiti.

Would I have turned out to be a better or worse adult if I had to live with the stigma of being named and shamed as child villain?

Not an easy one, I know, but children deserve a chance to rectify their ways before they become adults.

The polis will have judged what was in the best interests all round and reached the conclusion they did. Today's newspaper makes clear she was very co-operative with the police, which is a positive sign and indicates an awareness now of the impact of her behaviour.

I'd rather leave that judgement in their hands than join the herd of people baying for the blood of a child.

PS Is it an assumption on the part of some posts that the child lives with one or more parents? Perhaps she does. Perhaps she doesn't. I don't know. People are too quick to judge and moralise.

shazzap
04-Dec-10, 11:01

Have to disagree here C3. Altough there are some parents who do not give a damn what their offspring are doing. Most do care.

It's not always the parents fault. I was well raised but still went off the rails as a teenager, as did my younger brother; thankfully we saw the error of our ways and became the decent adults that we were meant to be. As much as I regret what I did, I regret even more the pain I caused my mum.[/quote]

I am one of those mothers Jox, so can fully empathise with yours.

Droopy
04-Dec-10, 11:02

No ones denying that the vandalism to the plaque was very very insensitive and perhaps someone of 14 years old should indeed know better, but hopefully the girl involved is deeply ashamed, and may use it as 'one of lifes learners'.

If she thinks its OK to do these sort of things then she'll grow up into a right little 'Jeremy Kyle' mother and get all of lifes crap she'll make for herself in bucket loads. i.e. no job, grotty council flat, yellow stained fingers, lovely neighbours etc..:(

And as for the people on here who are calling for her to be named and shamned....why not write a letter to the Groat, and do your duty for all the servicemen that served on the Jervis Bay rather than hide away in cyber world, and have people think your just being nosey........;)

EDDIE
04-Dec-10, 11:33

I wouldnt name and shame her because of her age and she must be prity immature and stupid to do something like that but i do think the bill for repairing the jervis bay memorial should be sent to her parents to pay and not the tax payer

Crackeday
04-Dec-10, 11:36
Maybe what this little tearaway needs is to do some community service for the elderly that fought during the wars? That way they could see first hand what these people had to go through. Then they might understand why people got so upset over her misdemeanor.

whateva
04-Dec-10, 11:52
u r all saying she should be named and shamed is this in hope another orger will name her and she did do wrong fair enough but does she really deserve all this and how does one silly mistake mean shes going to have no job no money yellow fingers and be living in a council flat how would u like this thread to be about u after 1silly mistake
however yes her parents do need to take action but u lot have to remember she is only 14
rant over!

sids
04-Dec-10, 12:09
Worse things happen than misuse of a marker pen.

I was surprised the Groat repeatedly showed photos of the handiwork. That's what graffiti writers would want.

Doreen
04-Dec-10, 12:14
u r all saying she should be named and shamed is this in hope another orger will name her and she did do wrong fair enough but does she really deserve all this and how does one silly mistake mean shes going to have no job no money yellow fingers and be living in a council flat how would u like this thread to be about u after 1silly mistake
however yes her parents do need to take action but u lot have to remember she is only 14
rant over!Well i was not one of them tht said they should be named and shamed i have got teenage daughters and i would like to think they would never do anything like that they should know better

upolian
04-Dec-10, 12:22
Worse things happen than misuse of a marker pen.

I was surprised the Groat repeatedly showed photos of the handiwork. That's what graffiti writers would want.

Well said!!!

caithnesslad
04-Dec-10, 12:25
The damage is done, get over it, worse things have happened, simple.

whateva
04-Dec-10, 12:35
totally agree that worse things have happened
and all these people are quick to bad mouth the teen in question but they are acting like they were goody two shoes when they were 14
;)

Crackeday
04-Dec-10, 13:29
and all these people are quick to bad mouth the teen in question but they are acting like they were goody two shoes when they were 14
;)
Maybe we had some "respect" for our elders though when we were 14?
Naming is no use but shaming gets a thumbs up from me.

Corrie 3
04-Dec-10, 14:00
;)
Of course people are going to bad mouth the Teen, what would you do, send her on a 2 week all expenses paid holiday ?
No wonder the country is going downhill fast with the coudn't care less attitude of some people on here.
Still, let them go on vandalising, I hope you dont have a car that gets done over which seems to be a favourite on Fri/Sat nights...Mind you, if your house or car got done over you might just change your views on vandals....
Slap on the wrist, tell them not to do it again, comes from a broken home, difficult childhood...same old, same old....Whadever!!!!

C3....:mad:

Droopy
04-Dec-10, 14:29
rant over!

Whateva..... please read what I wrote properly. I didnt say that 1 silly mistake would lead to her having no job, living in grotty flat, having yellow fingers etc.

What I did write was that if she continues to live her life in the same manner as vandalising a war memeorial and thinking its OK to do so, then thats the future shes facing. Just take a look around Wick at all the other 'world (taxpayer) owes me everything' goons.

hunter
04-Dec-10, 15:09
Of course people are going to bad mouth the Teen, what would you do, send her on a 2 week all expenses paid holiday ?
No wonder the country is going downhill fast with the coudn't care less attitude of some people on here.
Still, let them go on vandalising, I hope you dont have a car that gets done over which seems to be a favourite on Fri/Sat nights...Mind you, if your house or car got done over you might just change your views on vandals....
Slap on the wrist, tell them not to do it again, comes from a broken home, difficult childhood...same old, same old....Whadever!!!!

C3....:mad:

You disagree with the response of the authorities to this episode.

You sound like someone who knows what happened here. Certainly, I don't.

How would you have dealt with this?

Did she have feelings of guilt and hand herself in at the police station? Was it CCTV that identified her? Did her parents call the police?

Welcomefamily
04-Dec-10, 15:48
It seems to me that on one hand we have a lot of angry and upset people who were hurt that someone could be so insensitive as to write on 'their' memorial plaque. On the other hand we have a young girl who knows little of the war or of the sacrifices made by people involved in that war and acted on impulse and without any thought for the consequences. After all the war to her will be as distant as the Boar War is to many of us.
IMO the girl should be asked to write an essay, a report, or prepare a Powerpoint presentation on the Jervis Bay action and the subsequent repercussions for the relatives or community. This would go a long way to educating her and her generation of their community’s involvement in WW2 and be much more meaningful than the string of dates and events that passes for 'history' in schools today.

I think this is by far the best idea, naming and shaming certainly works however I dont think it should be used for someone at 14, there are very few children at 14 who arent still children and therefore should be treated as such, (most 14 year olds would disagree), some might have a hard exterior for what ever reason.

When I say things like is, "we were working at 14" response is often apparent, but those were very different times. Kids from that generation had a better adapted and a clearer understanding of how they fitted into societys structure.