PDA

View Full Version : Fuel prices

Murchiemannie
12-Aug-06, 23:42
I have just returned from a trip up North and was amazed at the price you have to pay for petrol......Over £1.00 a litre g a s p!!
I am still getting mine for 99.5 not a great difference but every little helps when you are filling the tank (and that is a supermarket garage)
So getting large supermarkets to open up in Caithness can only benefit the motorist and make it more competitive to "shop" around.

muddywilli
13-Aug-06, 11:28
Hopefully the new Tesco will have fuel ata great price. We are moving shortly to Milton. I honestly thought fuel was a good price in Wick seeing it's so far out. We currently live in Warminster Wiltshire where fuel is about 98.9 but in some places i.e. Marlborough outskirts i have seen it at 107.9 which is a radio station not a fuel price.

Kingetter
13-Aug-06, 11:41
which is a radio station not a fuel price.
What a great phrase!
You should have easy and ready access to (Flying?) carpets in your part of the world shouldn't you?

BIMBO
13-Aug-06, 11:50
which is a radio station not a fuel price.
What a great phrase!
You should have easy and ready access to (Flying?) carpets in your part of the world shouldn't you?Flying carpets are definitely not economical. I had 4 large drums of Diesel for my flying carpet and I ran out by the time I was half way up the river. I'm gonna stick to the car from now on unless it's an emergency.
Heated couches on the other hand are very economical as long as you don't leave the burners on all night. :eek:

Kingetter
13-Aug-06, 12:14
Flying carpets are definitely not economical. I had 4 large drums of Diesel for my flying carpet and I ran out by the time I was half way up the river. I'm gonna stick to the car from now on unless it's an emergency.
Heated couches on the other hand are very economical as long as you don't leave the burners on all night. :eek:

Wasn't an Axminster carpet then - you got fleeced when you got yours!
Anyway LPG is as economical!

BIMBO
13-Aug-06, 12:20
Wasn't an Axminster carpet then - you got fleeced when you got yours!
Anyway LPG is as economical!Your best bet is the Pogo Stick if you're not in a hurry, why do you think there's so many pot holes in Wick? Especially on the South road. I'm just so glad I've got big ears so I've got somewhere to hang my shopping when I come out of Lidls. :eek:

Kingetter
13-Aug-06, 12:24
Your best bet is the Pogo Stick if you're not in a hurry, why do you think there's so many pot holes in Wick? Especially on the South road. I'm just so glad I've got big ears so I've got somewhere to hang my shopping when I come out of Lidls. :eek:

"why do you think there's so many pot holes in Wick?"
Gotta have somewhere to put all that rain Wickers get?

muddywilli
13-Aug-06, 16:40
LPG my foot, far to dear. Good old fashioned vegtable oil from Lidl. My Discovery may smell little like a mobile chip van but it clean and cheap. Now as for legal, as long as the tax man can have his share it is perfectly legal.
You must mix with 10% diesel for pump lubrication and 30% in the winter months so stop it thickening.
No doubt there are some out there that laugh at this or already tried it... it works. My old Disco has 208k on the clock still purrs along.
This message wasn't confirming or not confirming anything to the tax man.

Naefearjustbeer
13-Aug-06, 17:10
In a small town place like wick or thurso You will be noticed buying up lots of vegetable oil and may raise tax man suspisions if you do it regularily. I remember a load of surfers from cornwall stopped at the thurso lidls and bought all the oil they could fit into the surf wagon for driving back to cornwall. It was amazing how many people knew about it.

muddywilli
13-Aug-06, 17:56
Indeed it is very hard not to be noticed clearing out stocks of Lidl's veg oil, even harder when you rrive with a landy full f empty plastic containers and the man at the local recycling depo ask you if you are a trader and what chip shop you own. Many moons ago i use to get very strange looks from people when pouring something other an diesel in your landrover. These days it pays (if you gonna risk it) to do it in you own back yard at night.
On a serious note though you can run your vehicle on cooking oil but have to keep account of what you've bought for the inland revenue. They will send you a tax return and charge you the same rate tax as diesel or petrol bought through the pumps. Funny how you are burning cleaner fuel and saving the planet but he still wants his large slice. The tax man... bless him.

Naefearjustbeer
13-Aug-06, 20:32
Ahh the tax man never misses his slice of the pie, Though when you are talking about fuel he gets the biggest bit of the pie the greedy so and so that he is [evil] . If you listen and believe the pertol station owners they dont make much at all. Lets hear it 1 2 3 Ahhh what a shame! I wish I was as poor as a garage owner :D