PDA

View Full Version : Rumours, rumours and more rumours

bagpuss
12-Aug-06, 22:16
Okay- so we didn't get the dental school and already the workforce in the new call centre has dropped considerably.

The latest rumour seems to be a hint that once the Asda/Tesco lot get up and running that Somerfield will close and their premises will be taken by Matalan.

However there are empty buildings in the Wick Business park and the retail park. Can the developers and the councillors account for this?

We seem to get increasing doses of rumour lately- can anyone set the record straight?

Murchiemannie
12-Aug-06, 22:28
Matalan would be great for Wick.
I do hope the rumours are correct as I'm sure you would all enjoy some more stores to open up. Think of the variety as well as the competitive prices.... which would be great.
The more that open the less you will have to travel to Inverness to shop.
Bring it on!!!

Kingetter
13-Aug-06, 00:30
Is there salt in the sea? Easy question, easy answer.
"can anyone set the record straight?" Easy question - impossible (to) answer. But, no doubt, folk on here will tell us they know the answers - just wait.

Rheghead
13-Aug-06, 00:45

cheapo rubbish. so I would agree...

Fran
13-Aug-06, 00:57
Yes, rumours, and rumours can be wrong. The dental school will still be opening in a few weeks.
It would be great to have matalan here, but i don't think it will happen.

katarina
13-Aug-06, 11:11
Well I enjoy my trips to the city - and largely because of the shopping. If all the shops come to Wick, bang goes the novelty value and that will be another of my life's little pleasures gone.

pultneytooner
13-Aug-06, 11:12
cheapo rubbish. so I would agree...
Are you saying wickers are cheap?[lol]

scorrie
13-Aug-06, 20:04
I do hope the rumours are correct as I'm sure you would all enjoy some more stores to open up. Think of the variety as well as the competitive prices.... which would be great.
The more that open the less you will have to travel to Inverness to shop.
Bring it on!!!

I must be missing something. I have been in Matalan in Inverness a couple of times and can't say they had anything I would buy. It seemed that the quality you got was reflective of the price. A bargain is only a bargain if it is good quality and low in price. Many people seem to associate cheap with value.

ps I hardly ever venture to Inverness to shop. I buy local and via mail order living very happily without Inverness. Seems like it is one of these local myths, the day trip to Inverness. A throwback to the days before anyone had credit cards or the internet to hand.

Ah the old trip, catch the train in Week at 4am and arriving in Inverness for the pubs opening at 5pm. Changing at Georgemas, stopping at Scotscalder so the driver could milk the coos, sheep on the track at Forsinard, picking up the Yoghurt in Rogart, delay at Tain to get yesterdays papers, waiting for the guard to get his Lairg over. Aye it wiz some trip, the Orient Express without the murdered Countess and Peter Ustinov nowhere to be seen. The age of the train? About 105!!

bagpuss
13-Aug-06, 21:38
So if Wick is such a cheap joint, why not just have Primark and be done with it? Cheapness sadly did not save the More Store- it just gave anything bought in that establishment the dubious distinction on being 'bofty'.

My trips to Inverness tend to be Monsoon, Laura Ashley, M&S and McEwans - so I for one will still need to have the odd day south.Not that I'm being snobbish.

DrSzin
14-Aug-06, 11:44
Seems like it is one of these local myths, the day trip to Inverness. A throwback to the days before anyone had credit cards or the internet to hand. A myth? It's not a myth. Lots of people do it. I used to visit Inverness quite frequently, and the car park at Tesco was usually loaded with cars bearing SK plates. The occupants' accents were a bit of a giveaway too. Just because you shop online doesn't mean that everyone should. Some of us actually enjoy going to shops to see things with our own eyes before we buy, to touch them, and to try them on - where relevant! There's also the social aspect of the shopping trip to consider.

scorrie
14-Aug-06, 12:20
A myth? It's not a myth. Lots of people do it. I used to visit Inverness quite frequently, and the car park at Tesco was usually loaded with cars bearing SK plates. The occupants' accents were a bit of a giveaway too. Just because you shop online doesn't mean that everyone should. Some of us actually enjoy going to shops to see things with our own eyes before we buy, to touch them, and to try them on - where relevant! There's also the social aspect of the shopping trip to consider.

You missed my point I think. The Myth is that "The Inverness Trip" has the same necessity now that it had in the "Good Old Days"

My opinion is that people are doing the Inverness trip because it was what their mothers and fathers did and, well, other Weekers are doing it!! This seems to be borne out by your report of SK plated cars swarming around Tesco like wasps round a jam jar.

As I reported earlier, the social aspect of the shopping trip is long dead. How can a mere, soulless, two hours in a car compare to the true adventure of the Trans Siberian Express in December?

Let's summarise shopping in Wick and Inverness. In Wick you shop shoulder to shoulder with fellow Wickers, in Inverness you shop shoulder to shoulder with fellow Wickers. My that is a refreshing change and a day-out that recharges the batteries ;o)

DrSzin
14-Aug-06, 12:41
You missed my point I think. The Myth is that "The Inverness Trip" has the same necessity now that it had in the "Good Old Days"

My opinion is that people are doing the Inverness trip because it was what their mothers and fathers did and, well, other Weekers are doing it!!I disagree.

As I reported earlier, the social aspect of the shopping trip is long dead. How can a mere, soulless, two hours in a car compare to the true adventure of the Trans Siberian Express in December?

Let's summarise shopping in Wick and Inverness. In Wick you shop shoulder to shoulder with fellow Wickers, in Inverness you shop shoulder to shoulder with fellow Wickers. My that is a refreshing change and a day-out that recharges the batteries ;o)A day out which involves shopping in Inverness is very different from one in Wick, as I'm sure you're well aware.

scorrie
14-Aug-06, 17:48
I disagree.

A day out which involves shopping in Inverness is very different from one in Wick, as I'm sure you're well aware.

OK.

Not for me it isn't.