PDA

View Full Version : advice on baby

funky-dunky
12-Aug-06, 21:40
hiya i am woundering if anyone could give me advice please am ten weeks pregnent on wednesday the 16th august.

i would like to buy the baby's things now e.g, buggys, clothes, sterilizer, cot, ect just so i have the stuff for when baby's born and i wont have to worry through the last 3 months. but people say its bad luck and some people say i should. so if i can ask people the question off is it bad luck or not? then put it to a vote then i will have a rough idea.

thanks funky-dunky xx

Blazing Sporrans
12-Aug-06, 21:51
My wife and I have had four children and have always purchased clothes, pushchairs etc beforehand. I'm pleased to say that they all enjoy robust good health and haven't succumbed to any kind of 'bad luck' enchantment - unless it's MY bad luck re the noise, constant drain on the wallet etc :lol: Building up the items you require as you go along through pregnancy seems quite sensible to me. Undoubtedly some family members or friends might even promise to purchase some of the larger items for you too. Best of luck with everything and as I've had two kids up here in Wick, I have to commend the midwives and other staff in the maternity unit at CGH. They were brilliant with us.

footie chick
12-Aug-06, 21:57
Have to agree have had all mine in CGH BRILLIANT service all round. Buy bits and pieces whenever you see them on offer is what I did.
Good Luck;)

mr do dar
12-Aug-06, 22:05
hiya i am woundering if anyone could give me advice please am ten weeks pregnent on wednesday the 16th august.

i would like to buy the baby's things now e.g, buggys, clothes, sterilizer, cot, ect just so i have the stuff for when baby's born and i wont have to worry through the last 3 months. but people say its bad luck and some people say i should. so if i can ask people the question off is it bad luck or not? then put it to a vote then i will have a rough idea.

thanks funky-dunky xx if you feel comfy with buying te stuff now then go for it girl dont listen to old wives tales and good luck x :Razz

young_fishin_neep
12-Aug-06, 22:12
sadly my dads girlfriend has stook to every single wives tale and rule book as its her first ever child, she has purchased alot of items but isnt storing them at the house untill she is a couple of weeks due, she has therfore clutered her mums house lol

i wouldnt stick to all wifes tales but there would be a few i would stick to :)

kaz xx

Fluff
12-Aug-06, 22:16
i had dream last night i was pregnant and had a baby. it was so real...

just thought i'd say lol

Blazing Sporrans
12-Aug-06, 22:19
i had dream last night i was pregnant and had a baby. it was so real...

just thought i'd say lol
Off the thread I know but did you run out for a test kit this morning then? :eek:

_Ju_
12-Aug-06, 22:24
Funky, congratulations!

I hope all goes well. Just take care of yourself and you'll be taking care of the little one.

As for luck, a poll doesn't mean a thing. If you believe in luck and have your superstitions, then follow what makes you feel better.

As for me, I am not superticious. But medically things are less certain untill week 12.

By the way, with regard to clothes: don't buy a ton of clothes for newborns.... they wear them for a very short time, and sometimes, if they are born large babies, don't even fit into them. What am I saying.......I'm sure you have everyone in your family giving you this advice already!!!!

As we say back home: Have a small hour!!! (It refers to the labour being a short one!)

Blazing Sporrans
12-Aug-06, 22:27
By the way, with regard to clothes: don't buy a ton of clothes for newborns.... they wear them for a very short time, and sometimes, if they are born large babies, don't even fit into them. What am I saying.......I'm sure you have everyone in your family giving you this advice already!!!!
Good advice Ju - forgot that aspect. I've always purchased larger size clothing for friends and families who've had their happy events as most folk go for newborn sizes and the little darlings (!?) do grow rather quickly...

brandy
13-Aug-06, 12:06
hiya hun
im preg as well with our third.. *grins* and am due about the same time as you.
have already been looking around for things..
what i have discovered is that mother care do a layaway program.. you can pick out everything that you want .. and they store it in their warehouse.. and you can also pay on it as and when you can. all that it is .. is that you need to have it paid up two weeks before the time you want it and they deliver it all to your door!!!
if you go down to inverness they are absolutley lovely there and you can pick and choose on line as well!!!
hope all goes well..
also.. a good place to go as a first time mum is babycenter.co.uk
as it is a website with buliten boards and chats for mums to be.. gives you all info on all stages of preg. and you can talk with other women going thru all the same things you are.. and every fear and worry you have.. you can talk about.. even the little things that you feel absolute silly about!!

pultneytooner
13-Aug-06, 12:28

thanks funky-dunky xx
They say it's bad luck temting fate by buying something for a unborn and then (god forbid), anything bad happening.
It's all personal choice, if you're superstitious then don't buy till the baby arrives and if you are not, take the sensible approach and go ahead and buy what you need for the baby, saves a lot of time and hassle.:)

brandy
13-Aug-06, 12:36
oh forgot to say.. with mothercare.. (asked about this as i had a mc in oct)
if for any reason something terrible did happen they would give you a refund no questions asked.. as they would never want to make a horrible situation like that worse.

taylor.4
13-Aug-06, 12:50

thanks funky-dunky xxThe only thing that i wouldn't have in the house until my kids were born was the pram.