PDA

View Full Version : Thurso Otter

Seabird
25-Aug-04, 18:38
Any one seen the Thurso River Otter this year?
He was the playful creature that was often seen near the island between the road bridge and foot bridge by Harbour Road.
I saw him several times last year but so far this year no sign.

As is typical of animals at the top of the food chain, otters are among the first species to disappear when the environment is polluted and congested.
I found the above quote, i hope this is not whats happened here.

htwood
25-Aug-04, 22:18
I saw a very playful otter swimming up the river near the Halkirk bridge on the 14th, my reliable source said its good luck to see one. Also saw an amazing meteor shower around midnite, so thats double luck. ;)

lynne duncan
25-Aug-04, 22:35
I saw 2 a couple of months ago swimming close to the cliffs at broadhaven and this week a family of 3 were spotted out past the north baths in wick.

Seabird
26-Aug-04, 20:35
I saw a very playful otter swimming up the river near the Halkirk bridge on the 14th, my reliable source said its good luck to see one. Also saw an amazing meteor shower around midnite, so thats double luck. ;)

Thanks for the input on the otter, Astronomy was a boyhood hobby of mine.
the meteors you saw were prob from the Perseid meteor shower that takes place from the 27/7 until the 17/8 each year, some can be quite spectacular.
Regards seabird.

Seabird
26-Aug-04, 20:38
I saw 2 a couple of months ago swimming close to the cliffs at broadhaven and this week a family of 3 were spotted out past the north baths in wick.
Thanks for the info
Regards
seabird

clayman
28-Sep-04, 00:05
I saw the Thurso River Otter at exactly the spot mentioned, between the road bridge and the footbridge on harbour road!

I had never seen an otter before and I thought at first that it was a very young seal, but then decided that it was just too small.

Just a 4" long head popping up at various points in the water for about 15 seconds, every minute or so.

This must have been about 3 weeks ago, perhaps 29th Aug :D

Mr P Cannop
28-Sep-04, 06:25
the seal will be hearing noise from cars or people

gooner
13-Oct-04, 11:43
I saw two of the wee beasties last Thursday down in the harbour in Thurso, great!!
:D
:Razz

Seabird
13-Oct-04, 17:43
Thanks Gooner.
I thought the otter may have passed on.
In fact i thought i saw him my self 2 weeks ago, but it was a pesky seal resting on the island covered by the high tide with just his head showing.

Loafer
13-Oct-04, 21:47
Solastar and myself saw a most beautiful wee otter in Forss river recently. After being born and brought up in wur lovely county for 33 years, it was the first time I had ever seen such a lovely sight.

The Loafer

phoenix
13-Oct-04, 22:15
Saw two of them just along from Castletown harbour earlier on this year, it was magical watching them at play. :)