PDA

View Full Version : heating

zarapopet
02-Dec-10, 19:30
whats best gas , oil, or electric and cheapest to run and install. who best installers . im blooming freezing

Liz
02-Dec-10, 19:42
It really will depend on the size of your house, whether you have cavity wall and loft insulation and how long you are in the house per day.

I have electric storage heating on Total Heating Total Control and absolutely love it!!!
For this though your house needs to be very well insulated.

I am at home all day and have the heating turned up to the highest setting and it is still only costing £37 per week for heating and hot water. The house is sooooo lovely and warm 24/7.

Another thing I like about electric is you don't have to worry about the oil tanker getting through in this awful weather and if the electricity does go off there is still a fair bit of heat stored in the heaters to keep the house nice and warm.

Of course if you live where there is mains gas this will probably be the cheapest option.

It really is horses for courses. You should contact Angela at Ormile Renewables as she was a great help to me.:D

ShelleyCowie
02-Dec-10, 19:48
I have gas central heating, my house is very poorly insulated and if you open the livingroom door thats it...heat gone! You dare not stand in any other room for more than 5 minutes or else i have to wear a jacket!

My house is so cold my washing machine door froze shut yesterday. Kids tred snow in on their shoes, it was still in the hallway the next day! :eek:

So i recommend excellent insulation, its worth it!

Liz
02-Dec-10, 19:58
Oh poor Shelley that's not nice.:~(

Is yours a council house and, if so, why don't you have cavity wall and loft insulation?

I have to say that getting new doors and windows fitted made a real difference as well as, before, the heat used to escape through gaps in both and had lots of draughts.