PDA

View Full Version : Continental Market in Wick

brokencross
25-Aug-04, 18:05
Wick people, Thurso people, Caithness peoples, please support this Continental Market, you can buy very nice foodstuffs without the expense of going abroad!!
We,ll put it this way if YOU ( the people) don't attend and buy it will be another proverbial nail in the coffin of Wick (ref: What is happening to Wick) They even have tame, live Haggis so you can choose the short or long leg.

Here in Engerland we have these Continental markets and they are very popular. It is fresh food,it is tasty food, it is food that Safeways or other stores do not store. So please oh please visit the Continental Market. Save Wick, save your town!!!

gravedigga
25-Aug-04, 22:14
I think it'll be great to see the town centre buzzing on aq saturday afternoon for a change :D

lynne duncan
25-Aug-04, 22:31
a huge amount of work has been put in behind the scenes to bring this to wick so as has been said I hope it is well attended. congrats to those behind the scenes!!
I won't be buying any garlic but watch out the pastry and sweety stalls

Doolally
25-Aug-04, 22:47
If I buy a haggis, what should I feed him on?

Maybe, I should get two so they aren't lonely.

The Angel Of Death
26-Aug-04, 12:12
best bet is to get 3 incase you get hungry and scoff one !!!

I for one will be taking a look down and see what sort of tastey stuff there selling

bananas
26-Aug-04, 12:32
I am coming through on Saturday with wife, kids and parents. What time is it on at.

Should be a wee change.

The Angel Of Death
26-Aug-04, 13:05
will prob be 9 - 5 i think

Doolally
26-Aug-04, 21:51
So exactly what is for sale at a Continental Market? I've never been to one!

2little2late
26-Aug-04, 21:54
Support the continental market. We have them in Perth and they are excellent.

The Angel Of Death
27-Aug-04, 09:29
Fingers crossed the weather will get better for it slightly to wet to be out and about today isnt it !!!

2little2late
27-Aug-04, 21:37
So exactly what is for sale at a Continental Market? I've never been to one!

If it's like the one in Perth. It'll be continental food, e.g. cheese, wine, meats etc.

bacardibabe
28-Aug-04, 00:06
a friend went today with people she had visiting.listen to this!!!!!!£2.40 for a loaf of foreign bread.

daviddd
28-Aug-04, 20:37
Full marks to the organisers indeed, but no marks to the stall holders for overcharging. We went along this afternoon and it was nice to see so many folk out in Wick, but we had been to this market in Inverness a couple of months ago and paid £7.40 for a bag of biscuits - they charge by the 100g and by the time we'd pick and mixed a bag we realised too late that 100g is only 4 oz. In Wick today they were selling mixed nuts (usual stuff) and cakes at £3.50 per half pound - 4 to 6 times what you would pay in Safeways! Sorry, but I'll look but not spend, I hate being ripped off! [evil]

Doolally
28-Aug-04, 22:23
The other half bought 6 pastry things and it cost her £10. They were nice but a pure rip off. Profiteering hasn't got a look in with this lot.

Great idea to spice up Wick for a few days but pity it's so expensive.

casper
29-Aug-04, 14:39
We went to the Continental Market earlier today, and I thought it was great. We bought some soap, food and sweets, and lavender plants.

The main problem was the wasps - they were all over the food, especiallly the sweets and dried fruit.

The people working on the stalls were all very friendly, and making conversation with everyone.

I hope they will come back to Wick again - maybe once a year, but later on in the year - a Continental Market at Christmas time would be quite good.

It was great to see Wick being so busy over the last 3 days, and it's all thanks to the Organisers. It looks like a lot of people appreciated their efforts, and showed their support. I really hope this will take place in Wick again - we need something to keep the town alive!

brandy
30-Aug-04, 11:48
well we bought 5 blocks of cheese for a fiver i think that is a great price!
of course things are going to be expensive to cover their costs
but its mire the novelty and excitment of something dif that was so great!

lynne duncan
30-Aug-04, 13:26
it was nice for a change to see the market square buzzing on saturday and sunday with something different, the stall owners must have thought so to as they have seemingly booked for next may

Seabird
30-Aug-04, 19:54
I passed through the market on Friday the wind and rain was yuk !
Being a glutton for punishment i went back on Saturday and i thought it was great.
Yes some stalls were expensive others not bad.
The continental fast food must have been good there were queues at all of them.
Gardeners must have been pleased tulips £5 for 100 bulbs.
Yes this event gets my vote for a return visit congratulations to the organisers.

tides of pentland firth
03-Sep-04, 21:42
Don't want to be a moaning Weeker but four figs = £3.00. Crazy money but a great change to the town square. Hope theres one again soon.

lois17
04-Sep-04, 21:48
Yes, well organised, we enjoyed the buzz, and although the market was very expensive (we didn't buy much) we spent a few pounds in the shops!

How about someone organising a big flea market? There must be loads of stuff to sell! There are many small cos / businesses from sooth that would come up with their stuff - much like the Inverness Sunday morning market. We would defo turn out fer that.