PDA

View Full Version : Warning

lindsaymcc
01-Dec-10, 18:52
Would just like to warn drivers that there has been a burst pipe on Ormlie Crescent in Thurso, and it is causing a LOT of water to be running down Heathfield Road. Of course with the current temperatures, it may well mean our street turns into an ice-rink tomorrow morning!!!

Just to warn you all to be careful!

cherokee
01-Dec-10, 19:08
Hi Lindsay,

I don't live anywhere near you, but I really think that, that was very considerate of you to warn other drivers in the area !

Well Done You !! :)

lindsaymcc
01-Dec-10, 19:19
Thank you!

Its actually starting to flood over the pavements on Heathfield Road now, so although it is maybe clearing some of the snow/ice at the moment, Im more concerned at the potential driving conditions in the morning given the -8 temps we have at present!

And also to warn those who drive their kids to the high school, as our road gets used a lot for that!

dragonfly
01-Dec-10, 19:22
omg! just looked out and its all sitting outside our house as we're probably the lowest point on the street - Lindsay, do you know if waterboard have been contacted? just before I call and they are already aware

lindsaymcc
01-Dec-10, 19:23
Yes Julie, we have called...... and there is some guys up there at the back trying to sort it!

Im just so worried about the ice tomorrow now!!!

dragonfly
01-Dec-10, 19:27
cheers! yes I said to hubby to move our car into the off road parking a bit more just in case it does freeze overnight, its bad enough around here on a normal day never mind one where driving conditions aren't good

lindsaymcc
01-Dec-10, 19:31
hubby is trying to decided whether to move the car round into the garages at the back, but thats more to stop anyone from hitting our car tomorrow!

dragonfly
01-Dec-10, 19:37
it would be safer, especially if you can get it in and out of there with little problem. Our dogmobile is stuck down at the bottom of our garden as we can't get it up the hill with the snow!

highland red
01-Dec-10, 19:50
Nice decent common sense thinking to warn people of this potential hazard.
Thank you.

lindsaymcc
01-Dec-10, 19:52
The flow seems to have stopped now, but no signs of anything being done to clear the static water....... just pray the council are gathering resources to do it before it ices over.

dragonfly
01-Dec-10, 20:28
had folk at our door now telling us we have water running down our path!! just hope it stay out of the house!!

lindsaymcc
01-Dec-10, 20:32
Anyway of getting out with a brush and sweeping some of it away from your property?!

I really do wish the Council had been a bit more pro-active than simply saying its Scottish Waters problem!!!! Lets see if they still think that tomorrow when the road is closed due to numerous cars or buses hitting the ice and crashing!!!

upolian
01-Dec-10, 21:22
Get the ice skates out [lol]

ducati
01-Dec-10, 21:30
Anyway of getting out with a brush and sweeping some of it away from your property?!

I really do wish the Council had been a bit more pro-active than simply saying its Scottish Waters problem!!!! Lets see if they still think that tomorrow when the road is closed due to numerous cars or buses hitting the ice and crashing!!!

Is it on a school bus route Lindsay? If so the Council have to grit it early as a priority.

upolian
01-Dec-10, 21:34
Is it on a school bus route Lindsay? If so the Council have to grit it early as a priority.
Nope,but it is on a bus route.

lindsaymcc
01-Dec-10, 21:43
upolian is right - it isnt a school bus route, but it is a normal bus route.

Saying that though, we have the ploughs down once or twice in the day and thats it, no gritting that ive seen!

Fingers crossed it wont be too bad, but it doesnt look good out there - there is a glassy look to the worst bit already!

dragonfly
01-Dec-10, 22:57
hubby has been out and tried to make a channel to take the flow from the road, down our path and out through our back garden, water is pretty deep still on main road!

George Brims
01-Dec-10, 23:05
Good for him. Don't fancy that myself in those temps!

PS you better put the kettle on, he will need something hot when he gets in!

Scarybiscuits03
02-Dec-10, 00:00
Careful it doesna backfire and flood ur house - keep an eye!!!;)

dragonfly
02-Dec-10, 00:14
nah its well down now so don't think that will happen, more worried about 1st car to hit it after it freezes and car to skid out of control and come rocketing into the house!

lindsaymcc
02-Dec-10, 09:44
We wont be taking the car out today by the looks of things!

Hope everyone stays safe out there! x