PDA

View Full Version : Which would you buy? (need ur help)

ShelleyCowie
01-Dec-10, 17:27
So the hubby has said he wants either of these for Christmas and its up to me to decide which one to get him! I know nothing about these so could do with your help folks! Which one would you buy and why?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wireless-Reader-Wifi-Graphite/dp/B002Y27P46/ref=amb_link_158512367_3/279-6458844-9780057?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=right-csm-1&pf_rd_r=0918AZT1029ZW0YXJJQW&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=219778427&pf_rd_i=468294

OR

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/16255707/Disgo-Tablet-6000-2GB-7-inch-Touch-Screen-Android-2-1-Tablet/Product.html?searchstring=NewAndroid&searchtype=MBLS&searchsource=2&searchfilters=s%7BNewAndroid%7D%2b&urlrefer=search

Any help appreciated!! :Razz

lindsaymcc
01-Dec-10, 17:33
For me it would be the tablet...... a kindle is cool, but i love the feel of opening a book and turning the pages myself. Also not sure that I could read a book on the computer........ where as the tablet has the whole WIFI thing going on for facebook/email etc!

george1234
01-Dec-10, 17:38
the one from play.com hope im helping, i know it is expenciver but its worth it. :D

debsj01
01-Dec-10, 17:52
i bought my husband the kindle with wi-fi and 3g and he loves it, hes got loads of books on it most of which were free. He does go online but prefers to use the laptop for that in the house and he reckons if he was out and about then it would be ok to use..i think it really depends what you want it for - mainly reading i would go for a kindle and if you want a little reading and to go online more then get the tablet.

ShelleyCowie
01-Dec-10, 17:55
Price doesnt matter.

The plus side to the kindle is the battery life, it lasts a month. But the tablet has wifi etc etc...seems to have more features. :)

I just hope i make the right decision! lol

Chrisf1961
01-Dec-10, 18:10
Neither there tooo bloody expensive lol :Razz
The original scrooge me lol

redeyedtreefrog
01-Dec-10, 18:14
Tablets are going to get really good in the beginning of 2011, probably best not to get one yet. If reading in bed, tablets can cause eyestrain, but the kindle doesn't have a backlit screen so it's just the same as a paper book.

nicnic74
01-Dec-10, 18:22
I'd go for the kindle, that's what im wanting from santa myself lol

George Brims
01-Dec-10, 18:32
I prefer books, hardback if possible.

Sandra_B
01-Dec-10, 18:37
I'd go for the Kindle. I believe Santa may be bringing me one this year, however I will still be buying hardbacks from my favourite authors.

EDDIE
01-Dec-10, 18:47
the kindle is an ebook and thats it the Disgo Tablet 6000 deals with all your entertainment needs and you can go online and surf and u can use it for ebooks as well
For me its a no brainer its got to be the Disgo Tablet 6000
The Disgo Tablet 6000 more or less does that exact same thing as an ipad only difference the disgo is at a really affordable price

cherokee
01-Dec-10, 18:55
Hi Shelley

Kindle - something you light the fire with ! :eek:
Tablet - Its summat that my Darling Mum was great at making.... mmmmmm!!

Sorry, did you guess that I'm a total technophobe !!! LOL :lol:

Good Luck with your research though XX

purplelady
01-Dec-10, 19:09
i wud say the kindle i brought my fella one last yr and he loves it xxxxx

laguna2
01-Dec-10, 19:12
So the hubby has said he wants either of these for Christmas and its up to me to decide which one to get him! I know nothing about these so could do with your help folks! Which one would you buy and why?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wireless-Reader-Wifi-Graphite/dp/B002Y27P46/ref=amb_link_158512367_3/279-6458844-9780057?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=right-csm-1&pf_rd_r=0918AZT1029ZW0YXJJQW&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=219778427&pf_rd_i=468294

OR

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/16255707/Disgo-Tablet-6000-2GB-7-inch-Touch-Screen-Android-2-1-Tablet/Product.html?searchstring=NewAndroid&searchtype=MBLS&searchsource=2&searchfilters=s%7BNewAndroid%7D%2b&urlrefer=search

Any help appreciated!! :Razz

Bought my hubby a Kindle (wi-fi) and he loves it. So would recomment that!

RecQuery
01-Dec-10, 20:05
I'd hold off on the tablet and buy a Kindle; tablets are still what's called 1st generation technology and suffer in a few ways as a result. The Kindle is about 3rd generation at this stage, plus you could buy a cover for it and preload it with some books for the price of a tablet.

EDIT: If you do decide on a Kindle your next choice will be wireless+3G or just wireless (£50 difference). I just got the plain wireless one BTW. Also using a tablet or smartphone to read ebooks just isn't the same with regards to battery life, screen, readability etc. As the Unix/Linux philosophy says, do one thing and do it well.

Big N Rich
01-Dec-10, 20:20
I would go for the one from play.com.........but im not your husband

laguna2
01-Dec-10, 20:38
I'd hold off on the tablet and buy a Kindle; tablets are still what's called 1st generation technology and suffer in a few ways as a result. The Kindle is about 3rd generation at this stage, plus you could buy a cover for it and preload it with some books for the price of a tablet.

EDIT: If you do decide on a Kindle your next choice will be wireless+3G or just wireless (£50 difference). I just got the plain wireless one BTW. Also using a tablet or smartphone to read ebooks just isn't the same with regards to battery life, screen, readability etc. As the Unix/Linux philosophy says, do one thing and do it well.

Just checked and it is the wireless + 3G that I bought hubby. As I said he is delighted with it.

floyed
02-Dec-10, 08:31

Me too.............:D

Dialyser
02-Dec-10, 08:46
These are two very different machines and it really depends what your husband is wanting to use it for. You can't beat the kindle if it is purely an ebook reader he wants. On the other hand if he wants something for general computing use the tablet will be far better (but wouldn't be as good for reading books on in my opinion).

RecQuery
02-Dec-10, 08:56

Me too.............:D

Really personally I prefer reading scrolls/clay tablets/stone tables/cave walls... sorry I'm being facetious but I've never understood it when people say they don't like this aspect of technology yet use technology of another sort.

Moonboots
02-Dec-10, 09:36
Why waste money on a stupid little toy when you can spend the money on your kids better... basically im not worried about what i get for xmas... I would have nothing as long as my kids get loads..... Xmas is for kids thats what i say...

redeyedtreefrog
02-Dec-10, 17:34
The Disgo Tablet 6000 more or less does that exact same thing as an ipad only difference the disgo is at a really affordable price

And that it's a bit crap.

TudorRose
02-Dec-10, 17:40
It depends what your hubby is really after. I have the Kindle 3G, it was a birthday pressie, eight weeks ago and I love it. I've read eighteen books so far and some of these 'classic books' are really long!

I've always been classed as a 'bookworm', as I've always enjoyed reading, I never thought I would enjoy an e-reader as I love 'proper' books so much, but the kindle is pretty special. It is so easy to read, your eyes do not tire as much, as when reading normal books. In between these eighteen books read, I also read a normal book and found it strange to turn the pages, I was so use to clicking on the next page.

There are hundreds of free books in the Kindle store on Amazon, not only the classics but also more modern books, offered from the publishers from time to time and immediately snapped up by Kindle owners.

Has your husband downloaded Kindle for PC or other apps? This would give him more of an idea of the books on offer and it would sync with any books read on his Kindle if you decided to get him one.

On the Kindle store page there is also a Kindle forum for people to discuss Kindles and that might be worth a look.

If you decide to go for Kindle, you won't be disappointed, it's the best present I've ever received.

Good luck with deciding. :)