PDA

View Full Version : snow on car roof

im behind you
01-Dec-10, 16:52
not sure if this is true or not. but there is storys going around that police will be able to stop you in your car and hand out a fine and points if you have snow on the roof of ur car. i did have a laugh but any body else heard this today.

Sandra_B
01-Dec-10, 16:57
I believe they can here in Germany. Something to do with the snow suddenly coming off your car and obscuring the windscreen of the car behind you.

DeHaviLand
01-Dec-10, 17:01
I drove into work this morning behind a moron who hadnt bothered to clear the 4 inches of snow from their rear window. Now if the police want to issue fines for that, i'm all for it.

lindsaymcc
01-Dec-10, 17:02
Ive heard it from family in Glasgow. THey are fining £60 and 3points for failure to clear snow from your vehicle.

onecalledk
01-Dec-10, 17:02
have heard reports that police in Aberdeenshire are enforcing this. SOmething to do with part of the road traffic act? the snow can cause a hazard to other drivers if it falls off your car and of course if you brake sharply and it slides down your windscreen you cannot see.

My friend was narrowly missed from being run over by a car in Huntly reversing out of car parking space who hadnt cleared snow from his car properly and had practically (and obviously) no vision out of the back of his car!

K

Dadie
01-Dec-10, 17:05
Hope not!
I cant reach to clear the roof properly, but I attempt to do it...bad enough doing the windscreens, side windows and lights...besides the snow on the roof wouldnt shift until the car had been run for a while the last inch or so seemed to be welded on.
It did all come off in one go as I braked onto the windscreen which is probably what the police is trying to avoid happening!

Chrisf1961
01-Dec-10, 17:07
Well if there was a visibility of police in Caitness maybe but i can honestly say in the 6 months since ive been in Wick i might have seen one police car....

teddybear1873
01-Dec-10, 17:10
It's common sense to remove as much snow as possible from your vehicle. I have seen numpties in the past driving with little snow removed which is very dangerous to either the car behind or passing and themselves.

onecalledk
01-Dec-10, 17:12
Well if there was a visibility of police in Caitness maybe but i can honestly say in the 6 months since ive been in Wick i might have seen one police car....

You can guarantee that if there is a chance of revenue to be made from this cold weather by the government then it will be done !!

K

ShelleyCowie
01-Dec-10, 17:15
Yeah its true, just common sense to clean it off though i guess :confused

teddybear1873
01-Dec-10, 17:18
Yeah its true, just common sense to clean it off though i guess :confused

Just don't do what he did though lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuLOk_ELt2A

george1234
01-Dec-10, 17:19
its true they call it insecure load if any snow/ice farrs off ur car and hits anothr car and smashes a window its ur fault just remove snow... :) blinkin law.

Tatbabe
01-Dec-10, 17:49
It's common sense to remove as much snow as possible from your vehicle. I have seen numpties in the past driving with little snow removed which is very dangerous to either the car behind or passing and themselves.

I totally agree.

Why not buy a cover for just the top of the car - also limits ice on all screens. If there's snow on top, it'll come off when you pull off the cover.

Gronnuck
01-Dec-10, 18:12
not sure if this is true or not. but there is storys going around that police will be able to stop you in your car and hand out a fine and points if you have snow on the roof of ur car. i did have a laugh but any body else heard this today.

It’s true. There is no excuse; at worse it’s dangerous, at best it's inconsiderate. [disgust] Section 3 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. “If a person drives a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road or place, he is guilty of an offence.”
A driver may also be liable under Section 40A of the Road Traffic Act 1988. Using vehicle in dangerous condition etc. :confused
Currently drivers across the country are being fined £60 and getting 3 points on their licence.
At the end of the day it’s down to consideration; but as we’ve seen lately there are a lot of numpties out there. :confused

rob murray
01-Dec-10, 18:17
yes, one of our customers e mailed us to warn us that the police ( quite rightly ) are enforcing this

andyw
01-Dec-10, 18:25
Hi So what about HGV artics with curtain side trailers then same thing cant get up to clean them off Health and safety so stevens are in for a lot of points and fines. ( its all getting a bit stupid now)

George Brims
01-Dec-10, 18:31
I always clear my windows and mirrors completely, but I leave the stuff on the roof. It keeps the tailgaters off me on the freeway once I get down off the mountains.

SteveBat
01-Dec-10, 18:36
It’s true. There is no excuse; at worse it’s dangerous, at best it's inconsiderate. [disgust] Section 3 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. “If a person drives a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road or place, he is guilty of an offence.”
A driver may also be liable under Section 40A of the Road Traffic Act 1988. Using vehicle in dangerous condition etc. :confused
Currently drivers across the country are being fined £60 and getting 3 points on their licence.
At the end of the day it’s down to consideration; but as we’ve seen lately there are a lot of numpties out there. :confused

I agree with this, it's so inconsiderate, dangerous and damn stupid if you leave snow on the roof of your car, you get what you asked for if you cant be bothered to abide by the law.

S&LHEN
01-Dec-10, 18:42
They are doing this in Inverness too and I have to say I totally agree,
i can imagine the people that leave it on wont mind there windows getting smashed or cracked when a bit of Ice falls from someone elses car (NOT)
Its disrespectful not taking it off its risking lives and property of others and its easy to do a long handled brush will do the job. x

crosstitcher
01-Dec-10, 18:48
It seems to be a new idea to raise money for the goverment as they havent botherd since cars been on the roads that i know off

elaine834
01-Dec-10, 18:51
they've been able to fine you for having snow on the roof of your car for a couple of years as far as im aware and i'm all for it - so dangerous not only to the driver of the car but to other road users

not that hard to take it off the roof, i use a window washer with extendable handle, would rather struggle to get the snow off than to cause an accident!!

Vistravi
01-Dec-10, 18:58
They are doing this in Inverness too and I have to say I totally agree,
i can imagine the people that leave it on wont mind there windows getting smashed or cracked when a bit of Ice falls from someone elses car (NOT)
Its disrespectful not taking it off its risking lives and property of others and its easy to do a long handled brush will do the job. x

Exactly taking the extra time with a long handled brush can save all the agro.

andyw
01-Dec-10, 19:01
Hi try that on a 15 foot high lorry trailer with no ladders

Vistravi
01-Dec-10, 19:08

Aye nothing you can do about that. Snow is there to stay;)

laguna2
01-Dec-10, 19:18
Just been on TV that Strathclyde Police say this is not true - although they would advise folk to clear their cars of snow as much as possible.

pink
01-Dec-10, 19:32
All just a rumour and as per is just a bit of common sence thats needed

http://local.stv.tv/wishaw/news/1616-police-advise-drivers-to-remove-snow-from-roof-and-bonnet/

S&LHEN
01-Dec-10, 19:33
In this case you need to ask Santa for a big ladder :lol:[lol] x

andyw
01-Dec-10, 19:41
I dont need a ladder as i`m saty by the fire better let all the lorries have a ladder in the uk any way should be driving at safe distance behind car / lorry not to be botherd with the snow falling of

highland red
01-Dec-10, 19:48
You can guarantee that if there is a chance of revenue to be made from this cold weather by the government then it will be done !!

K

Well if they ever start fining people for not using their indicators, then The Northern Constabulary will make a fortune from Caithness to swell the Government coffers.;)

Garnet
01-Dec-10, 20:21
I have to agree with that Highland Red, you're either sitting waiting at a junction or the same ones are overtaking like a bat out O' hell with NO indication of intent, scary. [disgust]

Big N Rich
01-Dec-10, 20:24

Pulled out of a car park today with snow on my roof just as the police pulled up. They didn't put the sirens on, mind you it was a blizzard at the time.

Stargazer
01-Dec-10, 20:37
The biggest hazard of not clearing snow on the roof is it avalanching forward when you brake. The warmth inside the car melts the lower snow layer and it slides forward.

At best you break your wipers,:~( at worst..........[evil]?

Gronnuck
01-Dec-10, 20:49
I dont need a ladder as i`m saty by the fire better let all the lorries have a ladder in the uk any way should be driving at safe distance behind car / lorry not to be botherd with the snow falling of

HGV Drivers are liable too. Three years ago I saw the result of a slab of ice from the roof of a curtain sided truck smash a van windscreen. The white-van-man was lucky he only had cuts and bruises. The truck driver was prosecuted. IMO there is no excuse.

rhoda
01-Dec-10, 20:53
Several cars allegedly stopped in Golspie today and drivers fined.

Saveman
01-Dec-10, 21:01
I wonder can we get official confirmation or denial of this from the Northern Constabulary, although it does seem like a sensible thing to do to get all the snow off your car.

Angel
01-Dec-10, 21:10
I understand that snow/ice should be cleared of all vehicle roofs as earlier this year a sheet of ice flew of an oncoming truck on a bend near Mid Clyth... my son an I hit out heads together as we ducked to avoid a huge slab of ice.
The sheet hit our windscreen edge on and cracked it completly across...
This could have been a serious accident. It also caused an insurance claim and I had to pay out £75.00!
So, does the trucker have to clear their roofs and trailers etc?

Angel...

upolian
01-Dec-10, 21:18
Its lazyness not cleaning snow off,just make sure you do it without scratching the car!

Blarney
01-Dec-10, 22:30

K
They need to raise the cash for all the cold weather payments and winter heating allowances from somewhere;)

docker
02-Dec-10, 09:41
Urban myth spread by internet chatrooms.

Murdina Bug
02-Dec-10, 09:49
Last winter I saw someone driving out of Sir Archibald Rd in Thurso with a good covering of snow on the car roof. As she braked for the junction the whole lot shot down onto the windscreen. There was then a moment of panic as the car shot forward a bit then braked again and wipers came on frantically! So, yes it is dangerous to drive around like this. :eek:

bekisman
05-Dec-10, 00:13
Tis True!
Rule 229 of the Highway Code states: "Remove all snow that might fall off into the path of other road users." - might not be the law, but makes 'good safe driving'

hunter
05-Dec-10, 14:08

That's a good thing, isn't it?

Police cars zoom around trouble-spots don't they?

mrlennie
05-Dec-10, 14:49
That's a good thing, isn't it?

Police cars zoom around trouble-spots don't they?

My streets a right little crime hole the amount of dog owners that let their dogs....;)

brandy
05-Dec-10, 15:59
saying this.. the other day i went to tescos, cleared the car off before we went.. cleared all the snow off the bonnet windows top ect.. but there was a hard layer of ice on top i couldnt get off.. went to tescos and then was heading back home.. coming into the town where you would turn up to head towards henrietta street.. i slowed down as a car was going to turn.. the ice had melted enough to all come down onto the windscreen! scared the crud out of me!
so even when you try to do it right dosent all ways work! however i have seen several folks out with a circle cleared in the drivers side winscreen and thats it!

piratelassie
05-Dec-10, 23:46
Next they will be telling us to clear the snow off our house roofs as it is a danger to people walking on the pavements..

pottheed
06-Dec-10, 01:11
Tix True!
Rule 229 of the Highway Code states: "Remove all snow that might fall off into the path of other road users."

The Highway code isn't always the law & that rule isnt the law, its a guide on good, safe driving.

The email is a incorrect, there is no fixed penalty they can give you at the roadside for snow on roof if they wanted to "do" you for it they would need to take you to court

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
06-Dec-10, 08:39
Hi So what about HGV artics with curtain side trailers then same thing cant get up to clean them off Health and safety so stevens are in for a lot of points and fines. ( its all getting a bit stupid now)

Ehhhhh what about a ladder???

jimbews
06-Dec-10, 12:02
Next they will be telling us to clear the snow off our house roofs as it is a danger to people walking on the pavements..
Edinburgh are already warning householders that they will be held responsible for any injury caused by falling snow or icicles from their roofs!