PDA

View Full Version : Stewarts of Wick

Mike_Granove
01-Dec-10, 05:51
Hello,

I am tracing my ancestors - my great grandfather is John Smith Stewart born Feb 16, 1864. He left Wick in September 1887 for America. His parents were David Stewart and Margaret Moore. I also know our family lived in Argyle Square and we had a cousin John F Campbell (who made a presentation to my great grandfather before he left - we have a clipping from an old newspaper. Any family ties out there???

Mike_Granove
01-Dec-10, 16:14
Somebody posted a census record on another thread I posted (THANK YOU! :D). If this is anyone else's family tree out there, please do tell or add to this...

In the 1881 census at 11 Argyle Square, Wick there is the following family

Daniel Stewart Fish Curer Age 54
Margaret Stewart Wife 51
Family
James, Fish Curer 28
Jane 24
Daniel, Cooper 21
Maryann 19
John S, Pupil Teacher 17 - my great grandfather (became a doctor in Canada)
Hugh T, Scholar 15
Maggie H, Scholar 15
Christina F, Scholar 11

Everyone in the household was born in the Parish of Wick.

Mamie_2
07-Dec-10, 17:20
Donald(often Daniel's are really Donald's) Stewart married Margaret Moore on Feb 15 1850 in Wick.

Not related though.

Mamie

Mamie_2
07-Dec-10, 17:51
Alex only child on 1851 census, Donald a cooper born Sarclet
Alex born c 1851 and Jessie c 1856 on the 1861 census, Donald a fishcurer, born Wick
Alex not at home on 1871 census but Jessie is. Daniel a fishcurer, born Watten lol

1891 Census still in Argyll Sq but at no 54 Daniel fishcurer born Wick also living here son James', a fishery officer, family along with other children Daniel and Margaret

in 1901 both Daniel fishcurer and wife Margeret and granddaughter Maggie are living at 55 Argylle Sq.

consistently Donald/Daniel has a birth year c 1826/1827

Mamie

Tricia
08-Jan-11, 00:06
Hello,

I am tracing my ancestors - my great grandfather is John Smith Stewart born Feb 16, 1864. He left Wick in September 1887 for America. His parents were David Stewart and Margaret Moore. I also know our family lived in Argyle Square and we had a cousin John F Campbell (who made a presentation to my great grandfather before he left - we have a clipping from an old newspaper. Any family ties out there???

Hi Mike
John Smith Stewart is my 2Cousin 1 R. I am a MORE from Wick.
You and I will therefore be related.
Tricia

Mike_Granove
09-Jan-11, 08:56
Hi Tricia,

This is great news. I am glad to have found some family along these lines. Do you have any other family history or info you can pass my way? I know my uncle has a family book with clippings and photos that have been passed on to him from older generations. I look forward to hearing from you - Happy New Year!

Mike_Granove
09-Jan-11, 08:57
Thank you, Mamie.

Tricia
10-Jan-11, 17:08
Hi Tricia,

This is great news. I am glad to have found some family along these lines. Do you have any other family history or info you can pass my way? I know my uncle has a family book with clippings and photos that have been passed on to him from older generations. I look forward to hearing from you - Happy New Year!

Hi Mike
I am not sure what data you have already. Sending this meantime.
I have loads on the MOREs. Margaret More died 14 Nov 1913 at 55 Argyle Square. Her son James Stewart was informant and his address 27 West Church Street, Buckie. Margaret was 84.
55 Argyle Square can be found on Google Maps and zoomed to the door - the house is named KILLORN.
It was a few doors away from my gg father and g'father family in 1901. They were all fishcurers.
Tricia :)

Tricia
10-Jan-11, 19:04
This is son James Stewart in 1901.
Name: James Stewart
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1853
Relationship: Head
Where born: Wick, Caithness
Registration Number: 52
Registration district: Kildonan
Civil Parish: Kildonan
Town: Helmsdale
County: Sutherland
Address: Old Caithness Road (ivy Cottage)
ED: 3
Page: 1 (click to see others on page)
Household schedule number: 5
Line: 12
Roll: CSSCT1901_15
Household Members: Name Age
James Stewart 48
Margaret Stewart 35
Janet Stewart 13 b Lerwick.
Daniel Stewart 10 b Lerwick
Mary McIvor 23 servant
Note; daug Maggie with g'parents in Wick.

Mike_Granove
11-Jan-11, 15:13
Hi Tricia,

Thanks again. I will be getting in touch with my aunt and getting some information on here for you. Please give me some time as I am away on business for the week.

Mike