PDA

View Full Version : Council gritting/ploughing

theone
01-Dec-10, 00:59
Just wondering if anyones road has been gritted or ploughed since the snow came?

In the past they normally make it around most of the town within a couple of days, I've noticed many streets in Thurso not yet done, and saw a few people reversing down roads in mount vernon and pennyland today as they couldn't get up the hills!

I've had a look at the policy on the council website and realise that non bus routes are low priority, but I still would have thought they'd have made it round by now.

sweetpea
01-Dec-10, 01:10
To answer your question mine hasn't been gritted but I don't think it's a main road so I wouldn't expect it to be gritted. Lats time I was snowed in it took a farmer with a tractor to get me out not a council lorry so can't compare.:)

shaz77
01-Dec-10, 03:18
Have seen many gritters in wick today plus 2 tractors!! just shows u how bad we are going 2 be hit! with snow and black ice!!. stay off the roads not worth the risk..;)

Venture
01-Dec-10, 08:29
Hats off to the council workers who cleared the footpath around our village of hard packed snow and ice yesterday. It took a lot of hard work with shovels and was much appreciated, particularly by the elderly.

brandy
01-Dec-10, 08:31
drove thru wick yesterday at lunchtime and most roads were clear... well done to the wick gritters! our street is never done.. but its a side street so dosent count *laughs*

ShelleyCowie
01-Dec-10, 08:50
I saw a gritter/plough on my street on the first day of snow. Dont think it gritted the road though.

A few cars been stuck in my street. Paths really need cleared tho.

But the council are doing great at trying to keep the main roads open :)

Cattach
01-Dec-10, 08:54
I saw a gritter/plough on my street on the first day of snow. Dont think it gritted the road though.

A few cars been stuck in my street. Paths really need cleared tho.

But the council are doing great at trying to keep the main roads open :)

Have you been out in the country? If you had been you really would see where the priorities lie. Hard get in to get food, difficult for emergency services. You can walk to the shops allbe it a little difficult. How lucky you are being able to see cars even trying get up hills.

ShelleyCowie
01-Dec-10, 09:04
Have you been out in the country? If you had been you really would see where the priorities lie. Hard get in to get food, difficult for emergency services. You can walk to the shops allbe it a little difficult. How lucky you are being able to see cars even trying get up hills.

No i havent been to the country but i know alot of people who are stuck and getting desperate to get out. And yes i understand the food situation for some, im getting desperate myself...but the pram will not move out there. not a chance! Baby milk is a must so im gonna have to get out today at some point.

SunnyChick
01-Dec-10, 09:12
Yesterday the road between Scarfskerry and Thurso was pretty tough going and at no point on the journey were you able to see tarmac!

When these village-to-town link roads are bad, it's not a wonder the town's streets haven't been seen to. So wrap up and walk into town if you can, if you have that option!

Start Christmas cheer early by looking after your neighbours - pick up soup/bread/milk for them if you are going to the shop, that kind of thing. :D

Vistravi
01-Dec-10, 11:06
I've seen the snow plough on our street just the other day. Our street is right next to a bus route so makes sense.
We're only using the car if we truly have to. We are lucky that i insisted the buggy we have is a big three wheeler that has off road wheels. It doesn't even slow down in the snow :D Glides right through it all. However if the snow gets so high that the wheels are burried in it then it won't go lol.
We do have a small three wheeler with stroller wheels that we use we go travelling and tend to leave in the car boot. Can defintly imangine how hard it is for some parents to take their kids out if they have a buggy similar to it. I'm just lucky to have a good one that can handle it atm.

lindsaymcc
01-Dec-10, 11:16
Being on a bus route, the road has been ploughed, but not gritted. Ploughing is all fine and well, but its like a sheet of ice now because they havent been gritting.

We had managed to get the car out over the last few days, but today is a NO NO. We will be walking anywhere we need to go! Ive given up on the pushchair in favour of a sledge!

Skerries
01-Dec-10, 12:00
The reason some roads are not getting done is because the gritters are having to replough and regrit routes as they are covered in snow again. This happens throughout the day and evening.

bekisman
05-Dec-10, 12:56
Have nothing but praise for the Highland Council gritter/plough.. 'our road' - the U155 - which serves just three houses, has been gritted every day when needed - they were even here this morning, gritting the ice that had formed overnight..

We had ordered our heating Oil from Simpson's in Wick and the roads 'out west' were diabolical, and coming down to us would have most likely meant a stuck lorry.. however yesterday, the faithful gritter team were down, and Simpson's were able to get down (and up) and filled us up - the driver said that out towards Bettyhill was terrible..

So thank you gritter men!:D

hunter
05-Dec-10, 14:05
I live in a quiet street on a housing estate, not a bus route. Seen the plough/gritter 3 times here in last few days.

I'm full of admiration for the guys and gals who go out in this weather to keep things moving for the rest of us. Well done!

lindsaymcc
05-Dec-10, 14:41
I had noticed the council had started on the minor roads over the last few days..... but with the fresh snowfall, I can see them being back to major routes again!

mums angels
05-Dec-10, 15:33
My road was done on day 2 and day 4/5 as far as i can see but my son , neighbour and their son went out with shovels yesterday and removed most of the hard ice and snow and then with use of a sledge they filled they then gritted what was left .. very good of them , my wee boy was a bit disheartened this morn to see that the roads were white again after all his/there hard work but thankfuly just a thin layer :D