PDA

View Full Version : Water bottles?

Dadie
30-Nov-10, 21:51
Same problem as last year....
Frozen water bottles...
Any more tips out there?
I have just changed the water bottle over to the spare and given the bunnies porridge for supper..their bed is full of straw..so that should keep them warm..I dont like to leave them without water when the bottle keeps freezing, though what can you do overnight in this weather?

chaz
30-Nov-10, 21:53
sock and bubblewrap?:)

Dadie
30-Nov-10, 21:56
Doing that already...well a version of..got a thinsulate neoprene wine cooler sock (that works at keeping things warm as well as cold) over it...a Christmas pressie I never used:lol:

chaz
30-Nov-10, 21:59
lol what about loft insulation or the harder foam used to lag pipes? Some pressies come in handy for the oddest reasons:)

Liz
30-Nov-10, 23:37
Not sure whether this would fit a water bottle Dadie? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Outside-Garden-Tap-Jacket-Frost-Cover-TAPJ01-/360258411792?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenEquipment_Han dTools_SM&hash=item53e1131d10

The only other thing I can suggest is putting one of these disposable hand warmers inside the wrap you're using. They keep warm for hours.
I could send you one to try if you want?

Dadie
01-Dec-10, 00:08
the ones in the link,they dont fit...have one on the tap for the hose...it doesnt work!
Is it the ones you get for backache/PMT etc...?
I have some in my bedside cabinet..I will dig them out (I bought lots on special offer when pregnant now I know why:lol:)
I have the re usable ones with the clicky button that you boil up after you use them as well from lidls, but they only last an hour or so!

ks
01-Dec-10, 08:13
Could you try warmish boiled water so it wouldn't freeze so quickly!

Dadie
01-Dec-10, 10:04
Doing that too!
But just been out and swapped the water bottles over again as the one on the hutch was frozen.

ks
01-Dec-10, 10:41
Poor bunnies, I suppose if you are putting out warm water it will be a wee while before it freezes and then as you change it in the morning it will only be a few hours without water so they will be okay. If they were in the wild they would go for a lot longer than that!

Dadie
01-Dec-10, 10:49
The bottles get swapped over first thing in the morning, then at dinner time and again at bedtime.
They are getting toast in the morning, their dried food at lunchtime and porridge at bedtime along with unlimited hay and veg peelings whenever I do the veg (at least once a day).
Trying to keep them warm inside and out:lol:
But they keep emptying their bed of straw and pushing it into the living area as well!
Im also keeping the bird feeders full to keep the little birdies tummies full in this weather...and the heater in Laurens room is on low all day to stop her room getting too cold for the hamsters.
Poppy dog is hibernating on my bed and the cat doesnt really want to go out.

Liz
01-Dec-10, 15:14
the ones in the link,they dont fit...have one on the tap for the hose...it doesnt work!
Is it the ones you get for backache/PMT etc...?
I have some in my bedside cabinet..I will dig them out (I bought lots on special offer when pregnant now I know why:lol:)
I have the re usable ones with the clicky button that you boil up after you use them as well from lidls, but they only last an hour or so!

These are what I use http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/40-LITTLE-HOTTIES-HAND-WARMERS-GLOVES-20-PAIRS-NEW-/220662230760?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Skiing_Snowboard ing_Clothing_LE&hash=item33607e6ee8

If you want me to send you a couple to try just pm your details.:D

Dadie
01-Dec-10, 15:23
I have the bigger ones that stick to your clothes...but im worried they dont like getting wet...and dont know if they will "do something" if they do.
So im using the re usable ones ... they have a clicky button in them you press and they heat up to about 45 deg and harden, then you boil them in a pan with water and they go back to liquid....found out you can be crafty and after boiling pop one in the sock and the next time im out click the button:lol:
You should try the re usable ones for yourself with this weather getting cold cant be good for you!

Liz
01-Dec-10, 15:49
I do use them Dadie and have stockpiled for winter!:lol:

It's a flipping pest as the water for the birdies keeps freezing up and have to use a food warmer which uses tealight candles to stop the stray cats food from freezing:roll: Also have a big LED candle in their shelter where the food goes so they are now dining by candlelight.:D

Your furbabies are so lucky to be looked after so well Dadie. x

Dadie
01-Dec-10, 16:04
Have you tried bunging a ball in the birdies water?
It should leave a wee hole thats not frozen over.
Then its easier to lift out the ice sheets!
I thought about moving the rabbits into the shed, but, last year I couldnt open the shed door for days at a time.
Dont know if it got iced shut or there was too much snow against it.
So they are going to stay out...

stewart4364
01-Dec-10, 17:25
The only problem with using insulation type materials , bubblewrap etc. the rabbit may chew them and then get bunged up or suffocated. Another method which will keep the bottles from freezing and at the same time keeping your rabbit as snug as a bug in a rug is to invest in a small tubular heater of the type sometimes used in greenhouses. These are available from 300mm long or in old money 12". An electric cable would have to be run to the hutch (hopefully the hutch could be put in the garage or shed over the winter) ensuring that the cable could not be chewed and also make some form of wire guard over the heater to prevent the rabbit getting to close as the heater can get quite warm. Another method is the use of a heat mat normally used in a vivarium. This could be placed behind a piece of glass with the bottle touching the glass but again ensuring that cables are protected. Hopefully this may solve your problem. Why not take your rabbit in and let it share your bed -- this is probably the cheapest and easiest way of overcoming your problem? It could also prove to be an ideal family planning method. Let me know if my last suggestion actually worked.

chaz
01-Dec-10, 17:45
never thought befor but what about what i do for the hens,a tiny drop of glycerin, it works and doesnt harm hens.Maybe worth looking into.

Liz
01-Dec-10, 19:22
never thought befor but what about what i do for the hens,a tiny drop of glycerin, it works and doesnt harm hens.Maybe worth looking into.

Thanks for the tip and must try this in the wild birds drinking water.:D

Dadie I tried putting a ball in the water and it didn't work I'm afraid.

Allsorts
01-Dec-10, 20:07
I too use liquid glycerin in the rabbits water bottles and the hens water too and it works a treat. Have been doing it for a few years now.

Liz
01-Dec-10, 20:14
I too use liquid glycerin in the rabbits water bottles and the hens water too and it works a treat. Have been doing it for a few years now.

Do you just need a small amount? I have a wee bird bath so not sure how much to put in?
It will work out a lot cheaper than the stuff I took home to put in the water and it didn't really work during really hard frost.:(

Allsorts
01-Dec-10, 20:34
I just put a wee bit in and if its not enough add more the next time......I never measure it its been trial and error I's afraid.

Liz
01-Dec-10, 20:36
Thanks Allsorts.:D

unicorn
01-Dec-10, 20:39
If rabbits live outside all year round, all they need is their bed packed with straw and a cover over the front of the hutch to keep them warm.

Dadie
01-Dec-10, 20:54
My bed is usually too full as it is at the moment!
Between hubby and me there is usually at least 1 small child or 2(maskerading as an octopus) the cat and dog.
The rabbits might find our bed a bit crowded.
I dont actually think they are feeling the cold...but their darn water bottle is!
Besides they look for their toast in the morning...and Spot loves to warm his toes on the porridge at supper time:lol:

pirateeye
01-Dec-10, 22:10
Could you try warmish boiled water so it wouldn't freeze so quickly!

warm water freezes quicker than cold water

stewart4364
01-Dec-10, 22:15
Another method to prevent your rabbit's water bottle from freezing is to wrap self regulating heating cable around the bottle. This tape is normally used for frost protection and low temperature maintenance. It is a fairly small tape with dimensions of about 12mm wide and a thickness of about 5mm and can be bent to very small diameters of less than 25mm(if I remember correctly). Information on its use should be available from local electrical distributers or even an electrician. If I can remember they only operate when the temperature falls to a certain level. Someone from Dounreay may be able to help you as I believe that the tape is used on some of their outside pipes.

Bilge rat
01-Dec-10, 22:23
Where do you get your glycerin from?

Liz
01-Dec-10, 23:38
Where do you get your glycerin from?

You can get it from Chemists.:D

Sarah
02-Dec-10, 20:26

I was going to mention this :) it works! Just a few drops.

sweetpea
03-Dec-10, 01:18
Glycerin only works up to a point. You still need to check the bottles as the metal heads might be frozen even if the water bit seems ok.

Dadie
03-Dec-10, 13:18
Yes its the spout, particulary the ball bearing sticking thats causing most of the problems.
There can be a good 2/3rds of water in the bottle but thats not any use if the rabbits cant get the spout working!

Liz
03-Dec-10, 14:21
Glycerin only works up to a point. You still need to check the bottles as the metal heads might be frozen even if the water bit seems ok.

Yes its the spout, particulary the ball bearing sticking thats causing most of the problems.
There can be a good 2/3rds of water in the bottle but thats not any use if the rabbits cant get the spout working!

Oh yes never thought of that! You'll just have to give the rabbits wee lighters so they can defrost the spouts!:lol:

Seriously, would rubbing some kind of oil on the metal spout help? Here's hoping for a thaw very, very soon!!!!

Phoenix200416
04-Dec-10, 14:57
I have been attempting to use Glycerine, but I haven't had any luck with it! I tried a few drops, and that didn't work, I used a whole little bottle of the stuff between the rabbits and still frozen solid by the time I went out to check them in the afternoon! Ok so we have had very low temps, but been higher in the day!