PDA

View Full Version : Wanna buy a warship?

bekisman
30-Nov-10, 20:25
Hmm, might be interested in this one - trouble is can only be sold for non-warlike purposes, there are a number of ex-navy on the Org, anyone interested?, tourist trips around Orkney?

"HMS Invincible has been put up for auction on a military disposal website.
Invincible is being sold by the Disposal Services Authority, which says it has secured receipts of more than £900m for the MoD in the past 16 years. The Barrow-built light aircraft carrier, which has an estimated metal weight of 10,000 tonnes, will "almost certainly" be sold for scrap, said naval expert Jon Rosamond.
HMS Invincible was decommissioned after 25 years' Royal Navy service in 2005.
Mr Rosamond, editor of Jane's Navy International, said: "It has been offered by the MoD for non-warlike purposes.
"Even if someone did want to take it on as a going concern it would never be used as an aircraft carrier again."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-11872743

Phill
30-Nov-10, 21:51
Was havin' look this afternoon but they've taken the bliddy engines out and it disnae come with any Harriers.

Bum deal if yer ask me.

ducati
30-Nov-10, 22:29
I've on old 916 Desmo kicking about, should chuff out about 110 BHP. I'm sure it'll fit with a bit of fettling. She went to the Falklands on one engine anyway.

I'll leave aircraft procurement to you, but I believe the yanks have a few old A6s they don't need any more. :cool:

Of course without a steam catapult, they will just plop off the end of the ski jump :eek:

squidge
30-Nov-10, 23:09
I was wondering what to get my hubby for christmas

golach
30-Nov-10, 23:43
Hmm, might be interested in this one - trouble is can only be sold for non-warlike purposes,

Is it coloured grey? [lol]

Phill
30-Nov-10, 23:49
Aircraft procurement sorted. Got some state of the art up to the minute aircraft here (http://www.aviationclassifieds.com/advertise-20103-4-0-Harrier+Jump+JetJaguars+For+Sale++).

Found a selection of MiG's but the reliability isn't too clever, I'm liking the Sukhoi Flanker (http://www.prideaircraft.com/flanker.htm) though.

Hmmm, steam catapult....could we use a couple of them Espresso machines?

Bazeye
01-Dec-10, 00:04
First ever boat I worked on as a fresh faced apprentice.

Phill
01-Dec-10, 00:13
First ever boat I worked on as a fresh faced apprentice.

Cool, professional opinion. What d'yer reckon to ducati's desmo, me espresso machine, a bit of fettlin' and we'll have a better sea attack/defence capability than the current Navy?

Phill
01-Dec-10, 00:16
That's Illustrious.

edit: someone removed their post after the ker-ching moment

George Brims
01-Dec-10, 02:42
Aircraft procurement sorted. Got some state of the art up to the minute aircraft here (http://www.aviationclassifieds.com/advertise-20103-4-0-Harrier+Jump+JetJaguars+For+Sale++)
Pricey. Met a bloke at an airshow once over here, USAF pilot who had ferried in a Hawker Hunter for the day (the owner was driving his other ride, a MiG-15). He said the guy got it for thirty thousand dollars, minus engines and avionics. Once it was restored he flew it the N Atlantic route (maybe he stopped in Wick, I don't know). That cost him another thirty thousand in fuel!

Phill
01-Dec-10, 09:39
Pricey. Met a bloke at an airshow once over here, USAF pilot who had ferried in a Hawker Hunter for the day (the owner was driving his other ride, a MiG-15). He said the guy got it for thirty thousand dollars, minus engines and avionics. Once it was restored he flew it the N Atlantic route (maybe he stopped in Wick, I don't know). That cost him another thirty thousand in fuel!

Engines n' avionics are what cost the money though, havin' said that I can do a 2 seat Hawker hunter for $49,000 (with engine):

http://camelotaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/DSCN3782.jpg

ducati
01-Dec-10, 09:50
Does the hunter come with that high tec awning? I'm looking for ideas for a camper.

billmoseley
01-Dec-10, 11:36
maybe if we club together we could start caithness cruises/ defence force open to hire. see the world and protect the innocent

ducati
01-Dec-10, 12:34
maybe if we club together we could start caithness cruises/ defence force open to hire. see the world and protect the innocent

"I'm not going unless I can bomb someone" :mad:

G W Bush

bekisman
01-Dec-10, 13:47
Thanks everyone for PM's and emails

Sorry for delay, but been quite busy.

On Tuesday I had an interview with John Bosloe and Dougal Finneson of Highland and Islands Enterprise (HIE) at Tollemache House, in Thurso and discussed with them the possibility of financial support with reference to partial refurbishment of HMS Invincible, to wit 'safety structures to enable the public to be accommodated upon the flight deck'..

Initial indications are positive and I was encouraged by the enthusiasm shown.. Obviously further details will have to be drawn up - the minimum capital grant threshold is £25,000 per application, it is indicated that this will be exceeded.. Steel Fabrication carried by Nigg could be envisioned..

The intention is to offer a circular tour from Scrabster around Orkney, and to this end I've been in touch with James Orteson at Scrabster Harbour Trust who are provisionally supportive of the idea of having HMS Invincible using the Queen Elizabeth pier as the departure point for said cruises.

As these cruises would be non-landing, no other berth would be required, although winter lay-up could be envisioned for Kirkwall..

The various Maritime laws that would have to be observed, below are a sample:
1. Safety at Sea, para 27 subsection 6(b)
2. Statement of non-Asbestos; HMSO Chap. 20-28.
3. Passenger Conveyance in Home Waters: CHTL Chap 6, paras 5-80
In addition public liability et al would be needed.

Of course this venture will be time consuming, and because of positive interests from a number of influential people, a group of shareholders will be formed, details will be released later as they come in - the present weather here in the Far North precludes travelling to meetings further afield..

Phill
01-Dec-10, 15:26
And I wuz thinkin' we could have had it and formed ourselves into some kind of maritime A team. Patrolling the high seas available for hire to the right bidder, maybe contract ourselves to the shipping companies and insurance underwriters for anti piracy work.
I think it could be good sport steaming round the Gulf of Aden taking out pirate skiffs and potting smugglers.

Seeing as the ski jump is out of action we'll have to get some hellychoppers instead, but I've found some russian ones with some interesting 'additional extras'.

I suppose we could do pleasure cruises in the summer and skiff bombing in the winter.

billmoseley
01-Dec-10, 16:00
i can see a plan coming together here and even Ducati might get to bomb someone. i'm sure there would be a waiting list to be a crew member. how about charging each crew member and being a self funding force and any money we take from pirates we keep.

Kenn
01-Dec-10, 21:09
Can we declare independence as and when it's up and running?

Anfield
01-Dec-10, 21:19

First trip could be to Gaza, I wonder how Israel Navy would react to a ship bigger than what they have

bekisman
01-Dec-10, 21:40
First trip could be to Gaza, I wonder how Israel Navy would react to a ship bigger than what they have

Refer to posting #1 "trouble is can only be sold for non-warlike purposes" so no can do; Be reasonable Anfield, it's for Orkney Cruises only!

Phill
01-Dec-10, 22:04
"trouble is can only be sold for non-warlike purposes"

Yeah but, once we've got it and ladened it full of blackmarket arms and some quality airborne assets from 'Ivan the Honest' who's gonna come and argue?

We'll have a bigger boat than the Navy's got left.

An' we can do pleasure cruises to make it look good then when they're not lookin' we can go and bomb skiffs and other littler boats n' stuff.

bekisman
01-Dec-10, 22:06
Yeah but, once we've got it and ladened it full of blackmarket arms and some quality airborne assets from 'Ivan the Honest' who's gonna come and argue?

We'll have a bigger boat than the Navy's got left.

An' we can do pleasure cruises to make it look good then when they're not lookin' we can go and bomb skiffs and other littler boats n' stuff.

Didn't want that to become public, I did mention (wink wink) 'Winter lay-up'

John Little
01-Dec-10, 22:14
Fit her out as a prison hulk and moor her in the Flow! Fill her full of tailgaters, queue jumpers, boy racers, speed limit exemptions and double parkers.

Hire vampires from Portgower as guards and no heaters in winter.

Any other prisoner category suggestions welcome......

Phill
01-Dec-10, 22:32
Didn't want that to become public, I did mention (wink wink) 'Winter lay-up'

That was supposed to be a PM :eek: shhhhh, just don't tell anyone, I don't think they'll notice.

edit: damn, this wasn't a PM either!

George Brims
01-Dec-10, 22:46
Engines n' avionics are what cost the money though, havin' said that I can do a 2 seat Hawker hunter for $49,000 (with engine)
I'll put it on my Christmas hints list. But I won't hold my breath. The USAF guy said he thinks the Hunter is the sexiest jet plane ever built (he was an F-15 driver himself).