PDA

View Full Version : School closures

georgegwf
29-Nov-10, 20:20
Does anyone know if the schools are open tomorrow.... Mfr website not working properly and the council servers are down because of a water leak :mad:

Scarybiscuits03
29-Nov-10, 20:36
Seems to be thawing a bit - if there is no more snow then it should be business as usual.

shaz77
29-Nov-10, 20:37
HIGHLAND Council is urging people needing information about school closures to visit www.highlandlife.net (http://www.highlandlife.net/) as its own website has crashed. ...

changilass
29-Nov-10, 20:43
That site just gives you the number to call and tells you what schools were shut today, so not much use really.

Bobinovich
29-Nov-10, 20:54
Am sure I heard on MFR Live at 5 that all schools in Highland Region are shut tomorrow - unfortunately their latest bulletin was this mornings one, but no doubt it'll be updated sometime :roll:

Wouldn't mind official confirmation on that myself though.

shaz77
29-Nov-10, 20:58
Might update early morning! just passing on information i was given!! best going on your own judgement as to sending kids 2 school :) if it snows more in wick 2night mine will be at home same as today :):D

changilass
29-Nov-10, 21:05
If school is open then mini changi will be going in, when I told him school was shut today he burst out crying, bless him.

He wanted the snow but loves school more and wants it to go away now and come back at the weekend lol.

lindsaymcc
29-Nov-10, 21:24
I can see Miller Academy still being open tomorrow so long as not too much more comes down. I think they did fantastically well today to get teachers and pupils in - my girls said there were only 4 children in both their classes absent!

Latest on the phone line for Miller is that all to go ahead tomorrow but a confirmation will be on the message system by 8.15am tomorrow.

kitty
29-Nov-10, 21:36
New MFR link for school closures that i got from their Facebook page :)

http://www.mfr.co.uk/Article.asp?id=1685598

lindsaymcc
30-Nov-10, 08:08
Am I the only one who cant get through on the phone line?!

Venture
30-Nov-10, 08:15
I got through OK. Message now changed to Wick High School is OPEN to town pupils only. Country pupils will NOT be uplifted.

Telephone Number

ks
30-Nov-10, 08:17
I got through but Pennyland isn't updated yet.

chaz
30-Nov-10, 08:18
Thurso high closed today

groater
30-Nov-10, 08:29
wick high open to town pupils only

Ash
30-Nov-10, 08:32
Mount pleasant primary school is closed to everyone

lindsaymcc
30-Nov-10, 08:34
No update for Miller Academy yet......

buddy
30-Nov-10, 08:36
does anyone know if thurso college is open today? it got closed yesterday afternoon i know that it doesn't close very often. thanks

Daisy
30-Nov-10, 08:40
Miller Academy and Three Bears Is closed today.

tracy ann
30-Nov-10, 08:40
Bower School Shut

chaz
30-Nov-10, 08:43
crossroads and halkirk closed

Allsorts
30-Nov-10, 08:43
Not sure i like the new MFR school site, as they have announced some that are closed up here but they aren't on their new web site yet

lindsaymcc
30-Nov-10, 08:44
Miller is definately closed...... grrrr!!! So much to do today and was hoping to do it with 1 child in tow, not 3!!!

Allsorts
30-Nov-10, 08:45
Not sure i like the new MFR school site, as they have announced some that are closed up here but they aren't on their new web site yet. I liked it when you got a list of schools shut rather than putting them all in one at a time if you have kids at different schools.

Allsorts
30-Nov-10, 08:48
Keiss and Wick North have no school transport

Venture
30-Nov-10, 08:51
Pulteneytown Academy and Nursery OPEN. Car park CLOSED.

chaz
30-Nov-10, 08:51
Not sure i like the new MFR school site, as they have announced some that are closed up here but they aren't on their new web site yet. I liked it when you got a list of schools shut rather than putting them all in one at a time if you have kids at different schools.

I agree, it was easier with a list with kids at two schools:)

ks
30-Nov-10, 08:52
Helpline now updated - Pennyland closed for all pupils.

alanatkie
30-Nov-10, 09:00
Castletown School, nursery & playgroup closed

lynne duncan
30-Nov-10, 09:01
have just put a request into mfr to use the old list format, as we are th same and have four schools to check, the list format was easier to check

starflower
30-Nov-10, 09:05
does anyone know if the college is open today

Scarybiscuits03
30-Nov-10, 09:06
There is snow forecast for the next few days - does that mean no school?
One long Xmas holiday!!! lol

newpark
30-Nov-10, 09:11
Is Thurso College closed? Have been trying to call them but no answer.

floyed
30-Nov-10, 09:18
south school was updated at 7.30 and the school was open to staff and pupils today but im going to check back at about 8.30 as i think it could change:D

Bradcon
30-Nov-10, 09:19
no update on hillhead yet!!

LRM
30-Nov-10, 09:25
Hillhead is always late at letting us know!!

Julia
30-Nov-10, 09:32
All primary schools in Wick are open according to Furry Mouth Radio

minnie
30-Nov-10, 09:35
Going by the MFR website Hillhead is Closed but still no update on phoneline.

lynne duncan
30-Nov-10, 09:35
north and hillhead closed

nicnic74
30-Nov-10, 09:36
Just wish Hillhead would let us ken one way or the other, its still yesterdays message thats on answering machine

floyed
30-Nov-10, 09:37
south school is closed was updated at 8.30

black16i
30-Nov-10, 09:39
Hi

The Blackstairs playgroup in Wick is CLOSED........

Thanks

Venture
30-Nov-10, 09:41
Seems like ALL Wick primary schools are closed now.

lynne duncan
30-Nov-10, 09:46
south school closed

KCI
30-Nov-10, 09:49
*sigh*

Is North definitely closed? I've checked the number twice, and it still says it's open to town pupils.
I have a 9 year old arguing with me that I should let him go to school, even though I have told him it seems to be closed! :roll:

KCI
30-Nov-10, 09:58
Just spoke to Mrs Miller at North Primary - the school is open to pupils, but there is no school transport.
Just sent my 9 year old off to school - he couldn't get out fast enough!

carasmam
30-Nov-10, 10:04
Hmm wonder if Norlin is open then? Better get dressed after all :eek::lol:

lynne duncan
30-Nov-10, 10:04
why then did mfr have it that the north was closed, a bit of clarification required methinks!

KCI
30-Nov-10, 10:06
Lynne - I told Mrs Miller about the message on MFR. She said it was wrong, and the info she had given was that the school was open, but no transport.

Allsorts
30-Nov-10, 10:09
See they have now closed Wick High School only after everyone has left to get there....

Blondie
30-Nov-10, 10:12
Yeah I had a struggle to get my son there and I am not happy! I checked the phone line before we left and it was still open.

A disgrace!

carasmam
30-Nov-10, 10:16
Norlin Playgroup is shut folks

ShelleyCowie
30-Nov-10, 10:47
Now where is the organisation in all this? Some schools saying open, kids get there and get turned home! [evil]

Personally i think ALL school closure updates should be complete by 8.15am. Giving plenty of time to kids who have to travel a bit further!

I think its totally unfair to the kids who dragged themselves to school today when it wasnt open.

My step-sons go to pennyland, if no update by 8.15am tomorrow, i wont be sending them out the door! Simple! hmph lol

Venture
30-Nov-10, 10:56
The problem with the Wick schools this morning was the change in the weather. Most had updated by 8 am but by 8.30 the weather had changed with heavy snow. Perhaps it's better that these decisions are based on what the forecast is to be rather than what the weather is like at the time of phoning. Saves for a lot less hassle especially for those parents who work.

Julia
30-Nov-10, 12:17
I sent my kids off to school as according to MFR all Wick primary schools were open, ten minutes later they reappeared saying the school was closed, not bothering with the radio, website or school severe weather line tomorrow, I'm just going to phone the school and get it straight from the horses mouth!

KCI
30-Nov-10, 12:29
Phoning the school isn't much help either Julia!

I phoned the school to check and was told it was open. So I sent my one off to school, then heard on FB about 10 minutes later that the school was shut. No sign of him coming home, so had to call his Dad to go looking for him, then got a call from School telling me to go and get him!

Not easy, pushing a pushchair with a sick toddler through the snow.

So much confusion this morning about the schools - I thought I had done the best thing by speaking to the Headteacher myself, but apparently not.

fordfocus66
30-Nov-10, 12:40
The headteachers should be looking at the forecasts and take the action required the day before.
Aberdeenshire and Orkney councils are able to do this without any problems.
I called Pultentown Acd today at eight and was told it was open Except for the Carpark.
If the carpark was too dangerous then the whole school should of been Closed no question.!
So then at 08.45 we hear the whole school is closed just a shambles and still nothing on the MFR web about it.
The head teachers comments were i can get in ,i remined her that a seven year old might have problems in the snow as the paths have not been cleared

Torvaig
30-Nov-10, 12:46
I don't envy all you mums and dads as the weather is not a controlled science! No matter how many updates there are, it is impossible to get it right all the time; the weather changes so quickly plus transport can be dicey and I do feel sorry for working parents as it must be a nightmare trying to do the right thing to keep your bairns safe.

Keep warm...

kitty
30-Nov-10, 15:40
The highland council closure website is now back online..... although it isn't listing any schools at the moment.