PDA

View Full Version : Hospital food

badger
11-Aug-06, 11:47
Now I know no-one expects a great eating experience in hospital but I am fascinated by the system used at Raigmore for delivering food to "The Lodge", where I have stayed a couple of times and both times (for various reasons) ordered evening meal there. Well, no, not really evening - more like afternoon, but anyway.

In theory the food arrives at 4.45 but can be anything from 4.15 on so it's bad luck if you happen not to be there in good time. It comes in an insulated trolley with what was presumably hot food when it left the kitchen on the same layjer as milk supply for the fridge and whatever pudding you ordered, which could be yoghurt. Result when it arrives hot food is cool and cold stuff is warming up. If you don't catch it immediately, "hot" food is cold and rest is probably going off.

I have mentioned to the hospital that this is maybe not ideal and perhaps whoever delivers could at least put milk etc. in the fridge. They could even put hot and cold on different layers - now there's a thought :roll: There is a microwave but who wants to reheat food that's probably already had that done once?

"Continental breakfast" consists of a plastic box full of Weetabix. Have never tried that as who knows how old it is?

So advice to anyone staying there - I understand the food in the canteen is better, and going into town better still but not always possible. If you don't want to go to the canteen for breakfast, take your own.

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 12:11
No good talking to the Dietician is it?

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 14:31
If you get sick of the food in hospital, do they tell you you're in the right place to be sick?

peedie
11-Aug-06, 15:04
thats a shame, when i was in the hospital which was years and years ago the food was nice, basic but tasty.

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 15:10
But 'things are a-changing'.

badger
11-Aug-06, 16:45
No good talking to the Dietician is it?

Do they even have one? As it happens I wrote to the Unit General Manager as I was writing about something else so thought I'd do everything in one go. She did reply to my main point but not to this as I think it was being passed on but never heard any more. Why am I not surprised? The food is pretty disgusting anyway.

It's all part and parcel of cost-cutting I guess, like replacing meals on wheels with frozen food and a microwave which I thought disgraceful. Apart from the fact that many old folk have probably never used a microwave, it's not much cop at conversation.

bigpete
11-Aug-06, 17:13
Recently in for a whole knee replacement, I'm six foot 1 inch, weigh in at 16 stone, no fat (military then fire service - me knee was knackered in 'the job'.. ) Anyway after the op in ward 3, I look forward to the grub - what a let-down, miniscule amounts, so not surprised that Highland has the lowest spend on food for Scotland! - 'Roast beef': two very small slices of 'meat' a knob of 'smash' a teaspoon of peas and gravy, the next day had my wife bring in Scotch eggs and pork pies to suppliment it. Breakfast; nothing cooked at all, tried the porridge; like water with a few floating oats, absolutely drenched in salt (My Scottish folks left scotland in 1822, but my genes told me that 'aint porridge!)..

My fellow new knees/hips in the ward agreed the food was terrible and inadequate even for those with small appetites..
If I go in again I'm taking a goody bag in with me.

Bingobabe
11-Aug-06, 17:45
I have been in hospital quite a few times for diffirent reasons and the food is always awful. But the thing i cant understand is when the general public go into the canteen in the hospital the food is actullay quite nice!!!!So why are the patients being given such awful food shouldnt they be entitled to a better qualilty of food considering there the sick ones!!!!

I find it very stange indeed, While i was in labour in hospital (and ladys you know how painful labour is) They came in with a cheese sandwich for me i was like eh!!!! Whats that all about i can hardly move let alone eat and if i could eat give me something more than a dry sandwich yuk yuk!!

And in the morning following giving birth they came with two slices of toast with one portion of butter how was i suppose to butter two slices i asked for more butter and they wouldnt give me anymore Mean or what!!!!

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 18:36
Do they even have one? As it happens I wrote to the Unit General Manager as I was writing about something else so thought I'd do everything in one go. She did reply to my main point but not to this as I think it was being passed on but never heard any more. Why am I not surprised? The food is pretty disgusting anyway.

It's all part and parcel of cost-cutting I guess, like replacing meals on wheels with frozen food and a microwave which I thought disgraceful. Apart from the fact that many old folk have probably never used a microwave, it's not much cop at conversation.

Oh yes, there'll be one (maybe more than one)- poking around - wasting NHS money and avoiding contact with those who might wish to throttle the so and so or make him/her eat it!

badger
11-Aug-06, 19:19
Oh yes, there'll be one (maybe more than one)- poking around - wasting NHS money and avoiding contact with those who might wish to throttle the so and so or make him/her eat it!

Now there's a good idea - make the hospital dietician live on hospital food exclusively (and I don't include canteen in that) for a week - nothing brought in, nothing from the shop. Just helpless and at their mercy, like many patients. Even better - get the chairman of every NHS trust to do the same. That'd larn 'em :D . Then maybe we'd see an improvement.

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 19:34
Now there's a good idea - make the hospital dietician live on hospital food exclusively (and I don't include canteen in that) for a week - nothing brought in, nothing from the shop. Just helpless and at their mercy, like many patients. Even better - get the chairman of every NHS trust to do the same. That'd larn 'em :D . Then maybe we'd see an improvement.

But rumour has it that Dieticians are clones (no, not clowns though there's something funny about them). Cyber-Sadists?

Fran
12-Aug-06, 01:25
I have always found the meals in caithness General and raigmore very good. If the meals are not enough for you you can tick the large box on the menu sheet and get a larger portion. the meals in the canteen are very good.
The canteen in raigmore has great meals, i always go there when I am in Inverness. Sandwiches etc are made to order, there is a huge salad bar, omolettes are made to order and there is always a big selection of meals, veg, chips or potatoes, and big helpings too.

lassieinfife
12-Aug-06, 09:07
I feel that I must defend the hospital kitchen' s .......... being an NHS cook myself,we the poor catering staff come in for a lot of stick,nobody ever asks us our opinion,all decisions taken regarding food management is take by higher managers with NO catering experience who don't or wont realize that poor quality ingredients produce poor quality meals, central kitchens are not the solution and don't always work out as a cheaper alternative to on site kitchens,catering staff moral at an all time low,with long term sickness making things harder,as the catering section of the NHS is probably the only section who do not have bank staff... them still at work left to get on with it,we do our best with what little we have,so spare a though for us struggling along working long hours in boiling kitchens [been over 40c some days] for little money... {woopeeeee we got a 15p an hour pay rise that took us to £6:22 an hour,}
and certainly no thanks[disgust]

Kingetter
12-Aug-06, 09:26
Now you are obviously dedicated to doing your best under difficult circumstances, and deserve appreciation. However, there are those who, when they feel their job is just a job and they are not shown any kind of respect for what they do, tend to become pretty apathetic. The results of that are what the patient gets. Also, hospitals may vary considerably so it is never a good idea to generalise too much. Having said that, if the problem never existed, why is there any talk of poor quality food & service?

badger
12-Aug-06, 09:56
I have always found the meals in caithness General and raigmore very good. If the meals are not enough for you you can tick the large box on the menu sheet and get a larger portion. the meals in the canteen are very good.
The canteen in raigmore has great meals, i always go there when I am in Inverness. Sandwiches etc are made to order, there is a huge salad bar, omolettes are made to order and there is always a big selection of meals, veg, chips or potatoes, and big helpings too.

I've also heard canteen meals are good so wonder why it all goes wrong for the poor souls in the Lodge? Maybe they just don't want you to eat there. I've never had meals as an inpatient but outpatients get a sandwich (choice although usually white bread) and icecream - just icecream. If you're waiting for an appointment that could come any time there's no chance to get to the canteen so you're stuck with it.

Fran
13-Aug-06, 01:26
Patients in Kyle court usually get vouchers to get a free meal in the canteen so i am surprised meals are taken to kyle court. it is quite a walk from there to the hospital canteen.
I think a lot of patients dont know that they can use canteens in any hospital, which are open to the public, not just patients, though they do have to pay a surcharge if they are not NHS employees.
today i had a great curry in Caithness General, I highly recommend it, better than i have had in a restaurant.
on wednesday i will be having my lunch in raigmore and i am looking forward to that.

dirdyweeker
14-Aug-06, 00:14
with the schools going back on Tuesday now might be a good time to remind pupils that the hospital canteen is open for lunch. It is close by for them and they can get a good priced meal in clean and warm surroundings. It is always somewhere different to go.

badger
14-Aug-06, 18:52
with the schools going back on Tuesday now might be a good time to remind pupils that the hospital canteen is open for lunch. It is close by for them and they can get a good priced meal in clean and warm surroundings. It is always somewhere different to go.

That's interesting - didn't know anyone could eat there, assumed you had at least to be visiting although thinking about it they don't check. Sounds look a good alternative for lunch.

Fran
14-Aug-06, 23:12
I@m very surprised at your last post Badger as earlier you said the hospital food was "disgusting". Have you had a change of mind!

badger
15-Aug-06, 09:24
I@m very surprised at your last post Badger as earlier you said the hospital food was "disgusting". Have you had a change of mind!

I was talking about food in Kyle Court then, not the Canteens which I think is where we are now for going in to get a meal. I've always heard Canteen food is good, including at Raigmore. So no, no change of mind but just mental note to eat in Canteen next time if possible.

mccaugm
15-Aug-06, 10:03

I worked in Raigmore hospital years ago and the staff meals were always fantastic. I had my 3 baby in Raigmore almost 2 years ago and the food was lovely. I was loathed to leave as it was so great. What I don't appreciate is the fact that if a bed is vacated by a previous patient you are landed with their choice. You can tick for extras like toast or fruit so people with big appetites should not have a problem.

badger
15-Aug-06, 18:24
Pehapse Badger they'd let you walk over to the canteen next time your there.(hopefully there wont be a next time cause you'll be as fit as a orgfiddle[lol] )

Believe me, if there's a next time I will eat in the Canteen. I never ever want one of those trolley meals again. Pity they don't tell you about vouchers as I only found out by accident but even if I had to pay it would be worth it. At least I have two new (refurbished) orgeyes :eek: even if one does have a teeny hole but we won't go into that.