PDA

View Full Version : Would you welcome a witch at your door?

crayola
28-Nov-10, 14:33
A recent thread discussed the rights and wrongs of welcoming or at least being polite to Jehovah's Witnesses calling at our doors trying to convert us to their brand of religion. Some send them on their way with no further ado, others invite them in and some get upset at them.

It is sometimes stated that they should be tolerated or perhaps even welcomed because they are good people who are doing what they think is right and what their religion tells them to do. This is despite their dogmatic tendencies and their adherence to what many if not most people think is an extremist doctrine.

I sometimes wonder what reception a group of witches would get if we came around your doors trying to convert you to our religion. Witches are a peaceful people and preach love for the Earth and for all humanity.

Would you welcome a witch at your door?

changilass
28-Nov-10, 14:38
If you had put an option for if she was invited, then I would have said yes, its cold callers of any type, I aint keen on.

John Little
28-Nov-10, 14:41
This is not a hypothetical question since we are probably going to move next year to the Glastonbury area. There, whilst getting my teeth round a veggie burger in a whole-food snack bar/cafe I saw a witch and a wizard in full Gandalf type robes going down the road together with matching goat-head staffs. They were deep in conversation and did not seem out of place at all in their context.

So yes - I'd say hi.

Logical
28-Nov-10, 14:45
What kind of witch are we talking about here?

Like a peaceful animal person, earth harmony white witch?

Or an evil spell bounding black witch?

bekisman
28-Nov-10, 14:50
Is that a White Witch?

John Little
28-Nov-10, 14:52
Is that a White Witch?

Careful B - you are not allowed to discriminate.

The witches must be Gaelic in order for you to do so.....

shazzap
28-Nov-10, 14:53
If you had put an option for if she was invited, then I would have said yes, its cold callers of any type, I aint keen on.

Ditto.............

bekisman
28-Nov-10, 15:05
Careful B - you are not allowed to discriminate.

The witches must be Gaelic in order for you to do so.....

I was trying to be careful; "I support Witches and Culture" - how about that?

John Little
28-Nov-10, 15:13
Nearly - you must support the Gaelic though - it is compulsory.

bekisman
28-Nov-10, 15:14
Nearly - you must support the Gaelic though - it is compulsory.
Why is that - thought 98% of Scottish don't understand it?

ravenblueice
28-Nov-10, 15:14
Haha I would welcome them in, appologise about the mess and make a cuppa tea.. same as we do for just about anyone who comes to the door :)

John Little
28-Nov-10, 15:16
Why is that - thought 98% of Scottish don't understand it?

Well - yes that's true - but you must support them anyway.

If you do not then THEY will get you. :eek:

joxville
28-Nov-10, 15:18
You'd be welcome anytime in my home Crayola. :)

Gronnuck
28-Nov-10, 15:21
Why would a witch come to my door? :confused The only reason I can think of is for them to try and promote their 'religion' and possibly attempt to convert me! [disgust]
I would be just as annoyed if Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda knocked on my door to talk to me about the ways of the Jedi. The only difference would be that I'd ask them for their autograph before sending them away with a flea in their ear, :lol:.
If I need any help seeking 'religion', 'spirituality' or any kind of 'ology' I reckon I could find it without too much bother.

Corrie 3
28-Nov-10, 15:33
Only if she let me have a ride on her broomstick and offered to stay the night!!!

C3....:roll::cool::lol:

Sage
28-Nov-10, 15:39
Never met a witch yet who WOULD try to convert anybody. :D

Personally I dont care what religion anyone is...if they try to convert they come up against a brick wall here.

Phill
28-Nov-10, 15:52
Skyclad?

'spose not in this weather..........

Dadie
28-Nov-10, 16:11
Depends on what im in the middle of...
Depends on whether im glad or not with having anyone at the door...
3 kids screaming, covered in paint, needing nappies changed etc...no one welcome!
3 kids playing nicely ... ok!
Or the doorbell going just after putting the wee one down for a nap:mad:
Just dont try to convert me to anything....be it religion, mobile phone provider, or windows and Im happy!
In this weather you might even get a cup of tea if you look frozen.

orkneycadian
28-Nov-10, 16:12
Depends how she proposed to convert me! ;)

If she looked like....

http://www.fullhalloween.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/witchfacewo184.jpg

She would have an awful lot less chance than if she looked like....

http://www.noahsarkfancydress.co.uk/ekmps/shops/sharonbaxter/images/mystical-witch.-sexy-fancy-dress-costume.-halloween-fancy-dress-outfit.-sexy-witch.-party-costume-2237-p.jpg

ducati
28-Nov-10, 16:17
Never met a witch yet who WOULD try to convert anybody. :D

Personally I dont care what religion anyone is...if they try to convert they come up against a brick wall here.

Blimey, How many witches have you met. I'd never even heard of any until I moved to Caithness. If I met one on the bus they would just be filed under nutter, same as any other 'alternative' person. :eek:

John Little
28-Nov-10, 16:17
"Depends how she proposed to convert me!

If she looked like....

She would have an awful lot less chance than if she looked like...."

Is one of those Crayola? :eek:

orkneycadian
28-Nov-10, 16:21
Blimey, How many witches have you met.

Saw a few that looked like the former in Wick on Friday night! [lol]

orkneycadian
28-Nov-10, 16:24
Is one of those Crayola? :eek:

Heck, if it were the latter, I'd have my name changed by deed poll to Cllr John Rosie in a flash!

teddybear1873
28-Nov-10, 16:48
Every married man welcomes his mother inlaw at the door............Doesn't he????

Sage
28-Nov-10, 16:57
Ah now Ducati that would be telling ;)

Let's just leave it at a few eh? :lol:

crayola
28-Nov-10, 17:47
The poll is about cold calling and we are 'good' witches. We're part of a new 'high coven' group.

It's purely hypothetical though. As Sage says, witches just don't do 'conversion'.

I look more like the second photo than the first. :)

Thank you to those who would welcome us. I should be delighted to accept Jox's welcome. I shall come for drinks and spells. :)

teddybear1873
28-Nov-10, 17:53
The poll is about cold calling and we are 'good' witches. We're part of a new 'high coven' group.

It's purely hypothetical though. As Sage says, witches just don't do 'conversion'.

I look more like the second photo than the first. :)

Thank you to those who would welcome us. I should be delighted to accept Jox's welcome. I shall come for drinks and spells. :)

So Crayola, What type of witch are you? Also curious to know what witches actualy do?

Do you cast spells for example or use tarot cards etc etc?

orkneycadian
28-Nov-10, 17:57
I look more like the second photo than the first.

I would be quite amenable to cold calling! :D

John Little
28-Nov-10, 18:06
She'd be a bit too cold if she called wearing that in this weather!

orkneycadian
28-Nov-10, 18:12
She wouldna be for long! ;)

teddybear1873
28-Nov-10, 18:41
Why don't witches wear underwear?

So they can get a better grip on the broom!

Vistravi
28-Nov-10, 18:45
Aye as long as she or he was friendly. I'll talk to anyone lol.

She/he may even meet someone who somewhat believes what they do here too ;)

welsh-witch
28-Nov-10, 19:17
yes yes yes :Razz:Razz:Razz

Logical
28-Nov-10, 19:47
I would be just as annoyed if Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda knocked on my door to talk to me about the ways of the Jedi. The only difference would be that I'd ask them for their autograph before sending them away with a flea in their ear, :lol:

I wouldn't, as a nation Britain is primary Christian but over 390,000 people across England and Wales are devoted followers of the Jedi faith.

We need to learn more about our own culture....

orkneycadian
28-Nov-10, 19:49
yes yes yes :Razz:Razz

You can come round too if you like! ;)

RecQuery
28-Nov-10, 20:14
Well it depends on your definition - fantasy fans, LARPers and Wiccans being quite different, but if you wanted me to convert, than as with with any religion I'd require proof like a Hand of Vecna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_Vecna), demonstrable power or something.

orkneycadian
28-Nov-10, 20:24
but if you wanted me to convert, than as with with any religion I'd require proof like a Hand of Vecna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_Vecna), demonstrable power or something.

I, meanwhile, would settle for a nymphomaniac in a witches outfit! ;)

Alice in Blunderland
28-Nov-10, 20:39
You'd be welcome anytime in my home Crayola.

Oh down boy she couldn't cope with you sitting there drooling over her :lol: [lol]

;)