PDA

View Full Version : Male Cat refusing to come in.

katrina
27-Nov-10, 15:18
My tom cat has been refusung to stay in the house for over a week now. He still comes to the kitchen to eat several times a day but then cries very loudly to get out and will not stop till he does!!

Even now with the weather like this he is refusing to stay indoors!!

Any idea why he has started this behaviour, nothing has chaged in the household:confused

Liz
27-Nov-10, 15:26
That is strange behaviour indeed! I would have said it sounded like something in the house had frightened but you said nothing has changed.:confused
Do you have any other pets which may have 'attacked' him without you seeing?

What is his behaviour like when he comes in to eat? ie does he seem on edge.

If he seems okay when he's in the house the only explanation might be that there is something like a mice nest which he really wants to get back out to? Try following him to see.

tippytoes
27-Nov-10, 16:02
Could it be he has a lady friend somewhere? :)

katrina
27-Nov-10, 17:04
No other pets in the house at all and it does not seem anything has changed either.

He is quite relaxed when he comes in for food, just wants to get back out, you would think he is missing something!!!

With this waether this is far from ideal, but whenever i try to keep him in he cries so lodly to get out again!! anaot sure what to do with him?

Liz
27-Nov-10, 19:09
Has he been neutered? If not, he may have a lady friend as tippytoes has said.
In which case neutering him would solve the problem.

As he is relaxed when he comes in it really sounds like something is taking his attention and he just wants to get back out to it!
I still think there could be a nest of mice somewhere which he doesn't want to stay away from for long.

Not really a lot you can do about it if he is so determined to get back out.:confused

Fstevens
27-Nov-10, 19:13
Hi,
He is more than likely to have lady friend, my friends:( tom is just the same at the moment. Hope it soon passes for you. Fay

Liz
27-Nov-10, 19:38
Hi,
He is more than likely to have lady friend, my friends:( tom is just the same at the moment. Hope it soon passes for you. Fay

Is your friend's cat neutered Fay? If not,does she know that Cats Protection will help with the cost?:)

katrina
27-Nov-10, 21:16
Thanks for the replys everyone, thankfully he has been neutered:D

Just have to see how things go over the next week:D

Liz
28-Nov-10, 00:33
Glad he's been neutered.:D

I really do think that something outside is really taking his attention and cats can be very persistent.
I'm sure he will settle down by time but good that he's okay when he comes in for his food.

Aaldtimer
28-Nov-10, 04:12
Pretty amazing behaviour considering the weather we're having!
Are you sure he doesn't think he is a polar bear?:confused

bonami
28-Nov-10, 21:26
Sounds like your cat may be courting let him get on with it. Likely soon pass.:lol::lol::eek:

cat2411
28-Nov-10, 22:35
Have you thought of tracing his paw prints in the snow to see where he goes?
I have a female cat that did the same thing for a few weeks, as she kept wanting out but only to sit at the back gate and sit like a guard.

katrina
02-Dec-10, 08:52
Well he has still decided he would sooner live outside even throughout all this weather:confused

Should i be getting worried now, he still comes home for food and drink 4 times a day and only ever hangs abour the field at the back of our house. Thankfully he doesnt go out to wander the streets.

Liz
02-Dec-10, 13:19
There could be a mice nest in the field at the back of your house which is taking his attention?

If he is okay when he does come in for food then there's nothing to worry about. The only thing which would stop him coming in is if anything had frightened him.
You could try a Feliway plug in diffuser to see whether that makes him settle. Also make a real fuss of him when he does come in and give him some of his favourite treats to show him that home is better than the field!

Dadie
02-Dec-10, 15:57
Sounds like he is treating your house like a.................cat!
Out all the time, turning up unexpectedly at all hours, wanting fed!
He has found something that is really interesting for him at the moment...mice, birdies, lady cat...or he likes the snow:eek:

Leanne
02-Dec-10, 19:36
My two used to be house cats but now live in the garage and refuse to come into the house - much more fun outside ;)

teenybash
02-Dec-10, 22:34
Sounds like the call of the wild has got to him....with conditions like...feed and water me when I want and in exchange I do what I want.....;)

weefee
06-Dec-10, 14:38
My cat does this the whole time, he loves being out and about, i would agree that he is just acting like a cat, if he is used to being out the weather won't phase him too much. If the weather is bothering him he will stay in......my daughter can't understand either why our Oz would want to be out in the snow and keeps shouting him in, only for him to greet and cause havoc until he is let out again......don't think its too much to worry about if he is at least coming home to eat.......