PDA

View Full Version : Councillor John Rosie I want to have your babies. Please, please, please John!

crayola
27-Nov-10, 01:09
He was a councillor when I was a young girl and even then I admired the way he put forward his opinions and performed his business. I am delighted that his enthusiasm and his willingness to speak up for the causes he really believes in have not diminished with age. Until today I sometimes thought that gleeber and I were alone in understanding that a certain element of today's political society has more in common with the Waffen SS than the obsessively undemocratic cultural fascism that other critics accuse them of.

For a ragbag of undesirable waifs and strays the Waffen SS were a staggeringly successful organisation and I'm surprised they aren't copied more often by narcissistic bullying organisations.

John Rosie I love you.

Can we make babies John Rosie? Please! Mwaaaaaaaa

Mystical Potato Head
27-Nov-10, 01:31
very interesting indeed.
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/sat5_photos/g655115633g6.gif

Corrie 3
27-Nov-10, 09:33
Sooner you than me Crayola, I woudnt give him the drips off the end of my nose never mind have his babies. And think of the poor offspring having him for a Father !!!!

C3...;)

crayola
27-Nov-10, 14:04
John Rosie is my Local Hero. He is a local politician who stands up for what he believes and what a huge number of the people he represents believe. The imposition of the effectively-foreign Gaelic language on the people of Caithness and even worse on the innocent school children of Caithness against the wishes of most of its inhabitants and most of its elected councillors is not acceptable to many or most local democrats.

We learned from Webeejeebee in another thread that there are no native-Caithnessian Gaelic speakers in Caithness. Or nearly none at most. And most if not all of the people imposing this language on our county are from elsewhere and the majority don't speak a word of it. Bill Fernie is from Edinburgh and he speaks no Gaelic as far as I know. Most MSPs at Holyrood know no Gaelic and their support is a fob to highlanders to keep us quiet so they can get on with doing their own business. I know because I ask them and they tell me! They set up and funded a body to force us to use Gaelic and they put a lightweight political know-nothing in charge of it to make it seem reasonable. It's like Tony Blair putting up with devolution to keep the Scots wing of his party quiet. And then there are the converts. About half of the loud Gaelic zealots I know in the central belt are English. Allowing others to do your dirty work for you is an effective tactic used by dictators everywhere.

The whole process stinks of political expediency and John Rosie is an expert on dealing with that.

badger
27-Nov-10, 15:06
Quite right crayola - hope he reads this. I emailed him a while ago with my support for his opposition to all the nonsense about road signs. If people want to learn Gaelic, that's fine, but to restrict teacher recruitment like this at a time when we desperately need them is completely irresponsible.

bekisman
27-Nov-10, 15:12
He sounds OK to me...

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2028818?UserKey=

John Little
27-Nov-10, 15:32
“This is a standard requirement for all jobs of this nature and is included because of the council’s commitment to promoting the Gaelic language and culture through the Gaelic language plan.”

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2028818?UserKey&UserKey=#ixzz16UdoINlq

Thanks for that Bekisman- that man deserves a medal. Your link makes my mind crystal clear on this- the council is wrong.

A standard requirement!!

That should be reported to the Equal Opportunities commission and I hope Cllr Rosie does exactly that.

Each
27-Nov-10, 21:07
Mount Pleasant school has a Gaelic Pre school which has 25 children attending.

2 years ago, Parents in Thurso requested the setting up of a Gaelic Medium Unit in Thurso, the Council agreed but the teacher eventually appointed withdrew as a result of the atmosphere towards Gaelic whipped up by a few individuals in Thurso.

The job spec only requires candidates to be supportive of the language - nothing more.

In light of the above this ought to be considere a highly relevant requirement.

It is clear the Mr Rosie and Mr Mackay are not representing their constituents and embarking on a personal cruasade.

John Little
27-Nov-10, 21:31
"1 Recruitment 1.1 Do not allow prejudice (conscious or
unconscious) to affect your decisions.
• Discrimination on a number of grounds is illegal. For example, race, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion or philosophical belief (see 4).
• Focus only on the requirements of the job when hiring people.
• Maintain records, so you can explain why you chose one candidate over another. Remember that applicants can request to see any interview notes."

http://www.icaew.com/enterprise/db/pdf/LA10EMPL.pdf

Corrie 3
27-Nov-10, 21:44
It is clear the Mr Rosie and Mr Mackay are not representing their constituents and embarking on a personal cruasade.
Hear, hear...well said, I coudnt agree more.

C3....:D

hunter
27-Nov-10, 21:45
If anyone is displaying the jackboot tendency associated with the 1930s, its cllrs Rose and Mackay.

Neither of them opposed the gaelic language plan when it was approved by the council in the debating chamber.

Why not?

Why did neither utter a word?

They didn't so much as lose the debate as never even bothered to take part.

If, as they claim, they are merely representing the views of their constituents then they are an abject failure as politicians.

They bring shame and embarrassment to the area.

gleeber
27-Nov-10, 22:02
Boy boy. You canna turn your back but the Gaelic lovers are up you.
Well done to Councillor Rosie and a particular well done to Donnie Mackay for his support of the Caithness people who find the idea of introduciing a modern version of Gaelic culture and language, determined by academics, politicians and hobbyists of all nationalities to a part of Scotland whose identity has been determined by father time and not by some deep seated romanticism by the aforementioned 21st century psuedo Gaels.

hunter
27-Nov-10, 22:07
I can't recall offering an opinion about Gaelic culture, so I'm assume you're not referring to me as a "Gaelic lover".

Unfortunately, by seeking to polarise this issue as Caithness versus the rest of the world, you reinforce the image that is being created in the Highlands and beyond of a small number of small people with an enormous chip on their shoulder.

Whatever next?

What other invasive species would you like to cleanse from the area?

English language lessons to be replaced by Caithness dialect?

History lessons to be taught about Caithness history only?

No churches found elsewhere to be tolerated in Caithness?

Insularity and intolerance reigns supreme.

Moira
27-Nov-10, 22:15
John Rosie is my Local Hero..

Don't be silly. Local heros are local so John Rosie can never be yours....

John Little
27-Nov-10, 22:17
Hear, hear...well said, I coudnt agree more.

C3....:D

I would hope they are embarking on a crusade C3. That's UK employment law I linked for you up there. You think they are doing wrong because they walk out over what seems to be, prima facie, a breach of the law?

Supporting any culture or language is not a requirement to do the job of a Head Teacher. It might be desirable, but making it a requirement is something that any decent employment lawyer would make hay with.

The job may be done very well by someone with the ability and a clear open mind. It does not require loyalty oaths of any form.

gleeber
27-Nov-10, 22:22
I can't recall offering an opinion about Gaelic culture, so I'm assume you're not referring to me as a "Gaelic lover".

Unfortunately, by seeking to polarise this issue as Caithness versus the rest of the world, you reinforce the image that is being created in the Highlands and beyond of a small number of small people with an enormous chip on their shoulder.

Whatever next?

What other invasive species would you like to cleanse from the area?

English language lessons to be replaced by Caithness dialect?

History lessons to be taught about Caithness history only?

No churches found elsewhere to be tolerated in Caithness?

Insularity and intolerance reigns supreme.
To be honest your post is hardly worthy of attention because it shows no understanding of the difficulties inherant with the Gaelic Bill not only in Caithness but in the rest of Scotland.
I love hearing the Gaelic language and the Mod was a once in a lifetime experience for me. I could take exception at being called insular and intolerant but I am tolerant enough to allow for your ignorance of my position.

bekisman
27-Nov-10, 22:35
"The job spec only requires candidates to be supportive of the language - nothing more."

These type of conditions are abhorrent - so there might be a truly brilliant applicant, but for personal reasons 'not supportive of the language' so not chosen on those grounds - how stupid and in truth; pathetic - let alone contrary to Employment Law

No doubt the rest of Britain would be amazed..

Also surprised to see that Bill Fernie “The interviews have been set up for some time and it’s hardly helpful for these two councillors to decide so near the interviews that they disagree with part of the person spec that has been in place for some considerable time and has been used for candidates in many schools.” and He added "the canvassing of support for Gaelic is incorporated in the specifications of all council posts in keeping with the council’s commitment to giving Gaelic the same status as English." Well I never.

NB: It seems the taxpayer will have coughed up over £100 million since the passing of the Gaelic Language Act five years ago.

But don't want to go down the repetitive Caithness ain't or is Gaelic threads do we..? But bearing in mind that c98.8% of Scots do not speak Gaelic, fair bit of our cash spent on 'em.

Anyway that's my own opinion of course - so as a non-Scot, can't really say too much - or can I?

Corrie 3
27-Nov-10, 22:59
I would hope they are embarking on a crusade C3. That's UK employment law I linked for you up there. You think they are doing wrong because they walk out over what seems to be, prima facie, a breach of the law?

Supporting any culture or language is not a requirement to do the job of a Head Teacher. It might be desirable, but making it a requirement is something that any decent employment lawyer would make hay with.

The job may be done very well by someone with the ability and a clear open mind. It does not require loyalty oaths of any form.
Nae bother John.
It maybe sometime near in the future that the Council will have to have the job spec altered to include a lot more languages other than Gaelic. I wonder what Rosie will do when he see's the likes of Urdu on the spec sheet?
That will give him something else to beef about.
And as been said before, he is not representing or speaking for all the folk in Caithness is he?...My God, they dont have this problem in Skye where Viking and Gael mix admirably.
I am sure the candidates for the job will sigh relief that Rosie and his sidekick arent at the interview.

C3....:confused

crayola
28-Nov-10, 00:39
Mount Pleasant school has a Gaelic Pre school which has 25 children attending.

2 years ago, Parents in Thurso requested the setting up of a Gaelic Medium Unit in Thurso, the Council agreed but the teacher eventually appointed withdrew as a result of the atmosphere towards Gaelic whipped up by a few individuals in Thurso.

The job spec only requires candidates to be supportive of the language - nothing more.

In light of the above this ought to be considere a highly relevant requirement.

On the contrary. Messrs Rosie and Mackay are representing their constituents in a brave and honest crusade against an unrepresentative council diktat. Just look at the backlash against them from the garlic zealots and their apologists. It takes a brave man to say what he really thinks when he has the head zealots of the colonial council in the 100-mile-away City of Inverness ready to attack him in public. Why should Caithness councillors fall in line behind the demands of a small number of garlic-zealot parents when their main responsibility is to the vast majority of the people of Caithness they represent on the council?

I know you are a Gaelic speaker so I respect your views although I don't agree with them. What annoys me is being told what to do and think by those who don't have the Gaelic, those who know nothing about the language and nothing about the history of the language or its people. These ignorant zealots are doing untold harm. [disgust]

Sadly it's not only in Caithness that control of education by garlic ignoramuses is happening. I know a number of teachers at a local school with a garlic medium unit down here. These are teachers that once supported the drive for Gaelic-medium education at their school. But they have been for some time so united by their despair of the garlic zealots that I could not send my children to that school because of the deep split that those zealots have created there. Why should we in this country cave in to the demands for garlic education from parents from England and Edinburgh and Dundee and Aberdeen and so many other places that have never had significant numbers of Gaelic speakers?

Boy boy. You canna turn your back but the Gaelic lovers are up you.
Well done to Councillor Rosie and a particular well done to Donnie Mackay for his support of the Caithness people who find the idea of introduciing a modern version of Gaelic culture and language, determined by academics, politicians and hobbyists of all nationalities to a part of Scotland whose identity has been determined by father time and not by some deep seated romanticism by the aforementioned 21st century psuedo Gaels.That's a good account of recent events gleeber. Except their version isn't modern. It's made up. And made up by people who know nothing of true Gaelic culture and most of whom have never been to Caithness. [disgust]

I too should add my thanks to Donnie Mackay for his principled stance in support of the views of the majority of the Caithness people. I did not so say previously because I have never knowingly known him.

Aaldtimer
28-Nov-10, 03:46
Crayola, the use of the word "garlic" demeans your argument, and is insulting! Please desist if you want to retain any credibility.[disgust]

hunter
28-Nov-10, 08:35
On the contrary. Messrs Rosie and Mackay are representing their constituents in a brave and honest crusade against an unrepresentative council diktat. .

Rosie and Mackay are members of the Highland Council.

The Gaelic language plan was presented to all councillors.

They could have said no to the plan before them.

Mackay and Rosie never uttered a word.

It was approved by all councillors, inc Rose and Mackay.

That doesn't sound like representing the interests of constituents if, as you assert, a majority were opposed to. Nor does it sound like an unfair council diktat, since it was approved by a democratic process after public consultation.

But it does sound like you've swallowed the sob stories hook, line and sinker of those councillors who find it easier to lob insults at big bad Inverness than expose their own political incompetence to local scrutiny.

These councillors are boycotting the appointment of teachers because they oppose a policy that they themselves approved. That doesn't sound brave or honest. It just seems incompetent to be honest.

hunter
28-Nov-10, 08:37
Duplicate - deleted

Corrie 3
28-Nov-10, 10:12
Crayola, the use of the word "garlic" demeans your argument, and is insulting! Please desist if you want to retain any credibility.[disgust]
I think Crayola lost all her credibilty when she announced she wants to have Rosie's babies...

wheres the sick bucket???

C3....;)

John Little
28-Nov-10, 11:38
"As an employer will I be forced to carry out positive discrimination?

The Act will allow employers to take proportionate measures, not merely to train or encourage under-represented groups to apply for jobs, but also to overcome a perceived disadvantage or to meet specific needs based on protected characteristics.

"This enables employers to take a wider range of steps in relation to any protected characteristic, for example sex or race.

Any steps taken under this provision are on a voluntary basis and an employer must be able to show that steps taken are proportionate.

Employers will need to exercise caution in recruitment as any positive discrimination could result in claims from unsuccessful applicants. This may lead to an argument that they are more qualified than the successful applicant and the employer therefore had no right positively to discriminate.

In addition, because employers can only positively discriminate where there is no policy of doing this (the rationale being to discourage positive discrimination simply in order to satisfy quotas), the use of this right by employers is likely to be limited"

http://www.personneltoday.com/articles/2010/09/29/56632/the-equality-act-questions-for-employers.html

So the new Equality Act, effective from October 2010 does allow for positive discrimination. However, looking at paragraph 5 I think that it is highly likely that making a support for Gaelic a requirement will, sooner rather than later, result in a court case.

Who will be held liable for the legal costs of such an action?

Will it be the Council, using taxpayers' money to defend their corporate position?

Or will it be individual Councillors for taking part in the discrimination?

Were I a Councillor I would not touch it with a 20 foot bargepole.

And I never have agreed with positive discrimination anyway. I think a person should get a job based on their ability to do it, not the content of their character.

Thought police have no place in Britain.

Or do they?

hunter
28-Nov-10, 13:03
Culture isn't one of the protected characteristics of the Equality Act, so I do not understand its relevance here.

The gaelic language plan is now policy of the Highland Council, as a result of a public consultation and a motion to approve the plan at a democratic meeting where neither Cllr Mckay or Rosie raised any objection.

Employees of any organisation are expected to adhere to the policies of their employer.

A willingness to embrace Gaelic as part of the education of children doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing to include in the job spec of a school teacher in the Highlands.

Get it changed if you don't like it. Cllrs Mackay and Rose have the powers to do that, but instead have chosen to chuck their toys out the pram like a pair of brats.

crayola
28-Nov-10, 14:07
Crayola, the use of the word "garlic" demeans your argument, and is insulting! Please desist if you want to retain any credibility.[disgust]On the contrary. There's nothing quite so tasty on a snowy Sunday afternoon as a lightly-grilled mature garlic zealot in a peanut sauce. Would you like that?

Thought police have no place in Britain.

Or do they?They do according to an 'explanatory' message I received yesterday. It seems that all Highland councillors must actively support the policies of the council that employs them. I suppose opposition councillors that don't support all of the ruling group's policies will be disciplined and then expelled from the council. No-one else will employ them because of their politically-incorrect views so the Council will need to build accommodation for them to keep them off the streets. This costs a lot of money and the residents will need some work to occupy them. And so on....

I look forward to hearing Conservative, Labour and LibDem councillors in SNP-run councils demanding Scottish Independence. :lol:

hunter
28-Nov-10, 15:05
How many people does the council employ? 10,000?

Imagine if your employer passes a policy - democratically - and expects you to implement it. Then you have some of those who sit at the top table and passed the policy telling you its a lot of a rubbish and to ignore it.

What kind of organisation would that be to work for? One that never got anything done, I imagine, because it would be riven with inertia and an attitude that it was safer to do nothing.

Rose and Mackay didn't so much lose the democratic debate as never even took part in it, yet are now setting an example to employees that says "up yours employer, you're behaving like the Nazis".

Is that a responsible thing to do?

I dont think this issue is as much about Gaelic as it is about the unwillingness of some to be associated with the Highlands in any shape or form.

They remind me of these UK Independence candidates who were elected to a parliament they do not believe in, the European Parliament. They become an utter irrelevance to its workings and achieve absolutely nothing from it on behalf of their constituents.

How much influence do you think Rose and Mackay will have now on the affairs of the council, after branding their colleagues nazis? Absolutely none.

Is that in the best interests of their constituents?

That's why I think they are politically incompetent and an embarrassment, especially since they did not object or speak out against the policy they now claim to detest so much.

Skerries
28-Nov-10, 16:52
I think Crayola lost all her credibilty when she announced she wants to have Rosie's babies...

C3....;)

I thought I couldn't be surprised but I really have heard it all now :eek:

crayola
28-Nov-10, 17:15
I thought I couldn't be surprised but I really have heard it all now :eek:
You'll not get ahead of me in the queue by feigning surprise. :D

rob murray
29-Nov-10, 13:18
I heard on the radio that Gaelic was desirable for the post...not essential, interviewees do not require gaelic...it would be different if Gaelic was stipluated as essential.

Skerries
29-Nov-10, 22:12
You'll not get ahead of me in the queue by feigning surprise. :D

No, you're right. This is an entirely predictable thread which I should have expected ;)

Alison77
01-Dec-10, 13:49
Its a pity that our Councillors wouldnt spend so much time and so much effort into saving the Dunbar Hospital and other more pressing issues that affect our town.
I am sick of reading of all this anti Gaelic stuff from Councillor Rosie. He was out of line earlier this year when he compared it to an Apartheid like system and his recent comments liking it to events during the War were totally beyond the mark and offensive.
Do we really need all these Councillors in Caithness? And why are they travelling to meetings in Inverness in separate cars? Would it not make sense to car share and save some public money. Or take public transport even.
To conclude from what I read the Head Teacher post did not expect the successful candidate to be able to speak Gaelic. He or she was to be seen to encourage it.

Corrie 3
01-Dec-10, 14:09
Its a pity that our Councillors wouldnt spend so much time and so much effort into saving the Dunbar Hospital and other more pressing issues that affect our town.
I am sick of reading of all this anti Gaelic stuff from Councillor Rosie. He was out of line earlier this year when he compared it to an Apartheid like system and his recent comments liking it to events during the War were totally beyond the mark and offensive.
Do we really need all these Councillors in Caithness? And why are they travelling to meetings in Inverness in separate cars? Would it not make sense to car share and save some public money. Or take public transport even.
To conclude from what I read the Head Teacher post did not expect the successful candidate to be able to speak Gaelic. He or she was to be seen to encourage it.

I agree entirely, well said !!!

C3...:)

hunter
02-Dec-10, 00:07

Maybe if you suggest changing the name of the building to its Gaelic translation!

Why do people always talk about saving a hospital rather than patients? I'd rather not be in a hospital, especially one as ancient as that.

Whitewater
02-Dec-10, 23:28
The people trying to force the Gaelic down our throats belong to an unelected overpaid quango set up by the SNP to do their dirty work for them. They attempt to force on all of us what they want without consultation of any sort. When we complain we are told that we are are against the Gaelic language, but that is not true, what we are against is the assumption by the quango that their undemocratic decisions should be accepted without question. The sooner this particular quango is disbanded and proper debates take place regarding the Gaelic language the better. I fully support John Rosie and Donnie Mackay.

hunter
03-Dec-10, 00:02
The people trying to force the Gaelic down our throats belong to an unelected overpaid quango set up by the SNP to do their dirty work for them. They attempt to force on all of us what they want without consultation of any sort. When we complain we are told that we are are against the Gaelic language, but that is not true, what we are against is the assumption by the quango that their undemocratic decisions should be accepted without question. The sooner this particular quango is disbanded and proper debates take place regarding the Gaelic language the better. I fully support John Rosie and Donnie Mackay.

There's been consultation after consultation after consultation . . .

And while I respect your disagreement with the policy, I don't think you can say its implementation by a government elected at the ballot box is undemocratic. The Parliament voted for it.

Bashing a quango is easy. But a quango only does what it is empowered by parliament to do.

Your argument is with those who approved the policy, who were the MSPs.