PDA

View Full Version : Councillors are unfit to interview teachers

hunter
26-Nov-10, 21:48
Did you see this in today's local papers?

Councillors refuse to appoint head teachers because the interview includes a question about Gaelic (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8939/Row_over_Gaelic_in_job_specs.html)

Words failed me when one said this was Nazi-esque.

I'd never read anything so stupid and ignorant for a very long time.

People usually resort to Hitler insults when they cannot think of anything senseible to say.

I'm pleased neither of these councillors will have anything to do with the appointment of teachers for our children. They're unfit to choose people for such important positions..

Shame on them for turning the appointment of children's teachers into a political stunt. Shame on them too for such crass insults. They are just an embarrassment.

Corrie 3
26-Nov-10, 22:08
I cannot believe what I have just read,how can you compare the Gaelic to Hitlers Brown Shirts?
Hang your heads in shame you ignorant Councillors...stupid, stupid Men!!!

C3...[evil]

theone
26-Nov-10, 22:14
I don't understand why councillors should be on an interview panel in the first place.

What qualifies them to assess the ability of a teacher?

Corrie 3
26-Nov-10, 22:16
I don't understand why councillors should be on an interview panel in the first place.

What qualifies them to assess the ability of a teacher?
It makes them feel superior and important.....both of course they are not!!!

These two need getting rid of ASAP....

C3....[evil]

theone
26-Nov-10, 22:24
It makes them feel superior and important.....both of course they are not!!!

These two need getting rid of ASAP....

C3....[evil]

Well, the votes will tell at the next elections.

Somehow though I feel this will not stir up nearly as much bad feeling towards the councillors in question than the ASDA situation did to their colleagues!

ywindythesecond
27-Nov-10, 02:23
Did you see this in today's local papers?

Councillors refuse to appoint head teachers because the interview includes a question about Gaelic (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8939/Row_over_Gaelic_in_job_specs.html)

Words failed me when one said this was Nazi-esque.

I'd never read anything so stupid and ignorant for a very long time.

People usually resort to Hitler insults when they cannot think of anything senseible to say.

I'm pleased neither of these councillors will have anything to do with the appointment of teachers for our children. They're unfit to choose people for such important positions..

Shame on them for turning the appointment of children's teachers into a political stunt. Shame on them too for such crass insults. They are just an embarrassment.

Your opening statement
"Councillors refuse to appoint head teachers because the interview includes a question about Gaelic (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8939/Row_over_Gaelic_in_job_specs.html)"
was your interpretation of a press report.

The actual headline statement in the Groat was
"TWO local Highland councillors have withdrawn from an interview panel after learning that the prospective head teachers would be expected to support the Gaelic language."

I think you need to stand back and read the rest of the article before you blow off. Nazi-esque is your word. I recommend that anyone reading this thread revisits the newspaper article at http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8939/Row_over_Gaelic_in_job_specs.html and reflects on it before posting.

brandy
27-Nov-10, 02:37
i did reread it after the first time.
and what i took from it, was that it had been known for some time that Gaelic was a stipulation and they both backed out at this late date, leaving the rest of those involved in a very tough situation.
personally, that to me screams unprofessionalism.
if they had concerns then it should have been brought up long before now.
honestly it sounds as if they are looking for publicity, and just spouting off a lot of hot air.
why would they be appaled that the head teacher would need to have Gaelic knowledge?
quoting from the groat.. in the first line... it says
TWO local Highland councillors have withdrawn from an interview panel after learning that the prospective head teachers would be expected to support the Gaelic language.
now what is wrong with supporting the gaelic language in scotland?
one would think that encouraging languages would be supported.
do we not want our children to broaden their horizons?
A public figure Must always be carefull of what they say, as everything they say can and will be used against them. Obviously this gentleman does not have a clue about tact or decorum after reading what i read in the groat.
if i were able to vote.. pretty sure he wouldnt get it!

theone
27-Nov-10, 03:01
one would think that encouraging languages would be supported.
do we not want our children to broaden their horizons?
A public figure Must always be carefull of what they say, as everything they say can and will be used against them. Obviously this gentleman does not have a clue about tact or decorum after reading what i read in the groat.
if i were able to vote.. pretty sure he wouldnt get it!

Although I have no problem with the sentiment of preserving the Gaelic language and it's culture, I think this is a subject that has so many levels.

I think there's no coincidence that the upsurge in public funding and promotion of the language has occured when the Scottish nationalists are in power. Highlighting differences and driving a wedge between the Scots/Gaels and the English would meet their agenda. That's one level.

Another is, and lets not forget, this is about educating our children. Are the powers that be letting political thinking interfere with the education system? Childhood indoctrination is a great tool, just ask the church!

Although I repeat that I feel for the sentiment of it, I do not believe for a minute that teaching our children Gaelic will help them in the future. Let's promote the teaching of Chinese or German, the biggest exporters (and hence likelyhood of business links) in the world. I think learning a foreign language would be far more beneficial than Gaelic. Indeed Latin or Greek would possibly be more beneficial due to the legacy they have left in English, the "world language" and subjects such as science and medicine.

Time will tell, but as I said before, I think public opinion AGAINST the councillors will not change very much. I actually wonder if a majority of their electorate agree with them.

Aaldtimer
27-Nov-10, 04:08
This thread from another forum might be enlightening, particularly the comments from Arthur:- http://www.footstompin.com/public/forum?threadid=1343759 :)

John Little
27-Nov-10, 09:39
I think Aaldtimer's link is excellent in pinpointing the nub of this issue.

I also think the councillors are correct in their reservations.

There are certain criteria which apply to job descriptions - and in this case they should relate to doing the job well.

Once you start attaching subjective criteria with political agendas to job applications you are in very dangerous ground indeed.

Pouleriscaig
27-Nov-10, 10:08
I suppose the one thing about all this is it exposes people's attitudes for all to see.

Corrie 3
27-Nov-10, 10:17
Whether we like it or not, Gaelic is a big part of Scotland now and in the past. Believe or not, it does bring in revenue into Caithness and Rosie would do well to remember this.
Just because he doesnt want Gaelic in Caithness doesnt mean that we all feel the same, I love the language and the culture, Rosie could learn a heck of a lot from the Gaels, how not to be a bigot for one!!

C3....:mad:

brandy
27-Nov-10, 10:23
they seem to have hit the nail on the head with their comments.
i also agree that other languages should be taught.
However at the same time i see no problem with teaching Gaelic.
It is a beautiful language and a dying one.
i think more along the lines of preservation than obsolete.
the councilmen in question actions are what i am more concerned with.
the way he has behaved is atrocious.
as far as im aware it is a desired quality but not a required one?
and as the school has a Gaelic nursery and the children are already learning Gaelic would it
not be beneficial for the said children?

John Little
27-Nov-10, 10:48
Whether we like it or not, Gaelic is a big part of Scotland now and in the past. Believe or not, it does bring in revenue into Caithness and Rosie would do well to remember this.
Just because he doesnt want Gaelic in Caithness doesnt mean that we all feel the same, I love the language and the culture, Rosie could learn a heck of a lot from the Gaels, how not to be a bigot for one!!

C3....:mad:

I do not dispute that Gaelic is big. And it's a beautiful and poetic sounding language. But a commitment to supporting it should not be on a job description in an area where it is not the majority language.

It's a bit like saying 'must be a woman' or 'must be white'. 'Would suit a candidate in their early 30s.....' Must be a Muslim?

It could be listed as a desirable quality but if it is a requirement then it should not be.

As to their pulling out so late- I wonder if they've just clocked that bit?

gollach
27-Nov-10, 11:25
Why are councillors on the interview panel in the first place? Surely the selection of a head teacher (or was it two head teachers in this case?) is far too important a job for it to be left to people who are not education experts?

Perhaps there is a council official from the education office in Inverness who sits on the panel during the interview process and "guides" their selection, but would that not mean the councillors are just a pair of gnomes with the task of rubber-stamping someone's decision? If so, these councillors won't be missed, regardless of their views.

badger
27-Nov-10, 15:14
Must admit I'm not sure why councillors, any councillors, are interviewing teachers. Seems odd. However since they are, and since I think it's fair to assume they did not know sooner about this Gaelic business, they were quite right to withdraw. There is a shortage of teachers and we need the best wherever they come from. Children need to learn the basics. If they want them to be taught a second language, Mandarin is probably the most useful these days but I can't imagine lack of that or any other language would be a bar so why Gaelic?

RecQuery
27-Nov-10, 15:26
Why are councillors on the interview panel in the first place? Surely the selection of a head teacher (or was it two head teachers in this case?) is far too important a job for it to be left to people who are not education experts?

Perhaps there is a council official from the education office in Inverness who sits on the panel during the interview process and "guides" their selection, but would that not mean the councillors are just a pair of gnomes with the task of rubber-stamping someone's decision? If so, these councillors won't be missed, regardless of their views.

Unfortunately this happens practically everywhere and for everything. If the person interviewing you has no experience in the field themselves then all the candidate has to do is stay one lesson ahead of the interviewer.

I've been an interviewer on a few panel interviews. I was the tech guy (these interviews were for IT jobs) and the other two quite frankly shouldn't have been there but they were. They came out with such insightful and useful comments as:

I don't like the way this guys looks
He sounds annoying
He reminds me of ...

One of them would spend the whole interview process just doodling on her notepad.

The worst part is that in these processes it usually comes down to a vote.

Also the Gaelic brigade seems out in force on this thread, misinterpretting Scottish history Walter Scott style as usual.

hunter
27-Nov-10, 18:27
Good to see the leadership of the Highland Council rebuking Rosie and Mackay.

Something tells me they will have neither the dignity nor political nous to realise their stupdity, however.

Backlash at ‘Nazi’ jibe in Gaelic jobs spec protest (http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2028818)

Each
27-Nov-10, 21:02
Mount Pleasant school has a Gaelic Pre school which has 25 children attending.

2 years ago, Parents in Thurso requested the setting up of a Gaelic Medium Unit in Thurso, the Council agreed but the teacher eventually appointed withdrew as a result of the atmosphere towards Gaelic whipped up by a few individuals in Thurso.

The job spec only requires candidates to be supportive of the language - nothing more.

In light of the above this ought to be considere a highly relevant requirement.

It is clear the Mr Rosie and Mr Mackay are not representing their constituents and embarking on a personal cruasade.

bekisman
27-Nov-10, 22:42
Your opening statement
"Councillors refuse to appoint head teachers because the interview includes a question about Gaelic (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8939/Row_over_Gaelic_in_job_specs.html)"
was your interpretation of a press report.

The actual headline statement in the Groat was
"TWO local Highland councillors have withdrawn from an interview panel after learning that the prospective head teachers would be expected to support the Gaelic language."

I think you need to stand back and read the rest of the article before you blow off. Nazi-esque is your word. I recommend that anyone reading this thread revisits the newspaper article at http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8939/Row_over_Gaelic_in_job_specs.html and reflects on it before posting.
Quite agree Windy - some people just do not take the time to read, I know it's English but...;)