PDA

View Full Version : Irritating sayings

bekisman
26-Nov-10, 11:06
Maybe it's my age and being a 'grumpy old man'.. Anyone else get jarred off?

A few minutes ago had a phone call from Priemierline Direct (Insurance):
Good morning 'Mr Beks' this is Priemierline Direct, "how are we today"? Eh, do they really think this is a genuine query upon my health? do they really think I want to get in casual conversation with them... no of course not it's a stupid format they are told to say in these call centres..

Go to Wetherspoon in Wick, meal arrives and a muttered "enjoy".!. What? are they telling me to enjoy?, no just another bloody Americanism that's crept in..

Go into Tesco, Mrs Beks putting the stuff on the belt, whilst I'm standing there placing the scanned items into the bags "Would you like a hand with your packing" the girl says, Eh?, we've got ten items and I'm quite able to pack them myself, bloody hell can't she see I'm standing there doing it?.. I know, it's what she has to say; instructions from management.. Why the hell don't these people realise it's an irritating and pointless question in most cases?
But then again I expect they attended a 'Leadership Course' with 'Team Building' and instructions on their 'Mission' - Oh please come back from mimicking our cousins from across the Pond and lets have normal, sensible comments (like we used to).

Never mind; "have a nice day".

Torvaig
26-Nov-10, 11:35
I with you all the way on that one! I had a young man at my door a few weeks ago, it was pouring rain, it was dark and he started by coming with some inane remarks obviously drummed into him on a course; he made some observations about the neighbours, commented on my dog and eventually got round to asking me to donate regularly to The Red Cross and to give him my banking details so as to make my life easier by not having to get in touch with my bank, just sign a direct debit!

When will these corporate charities suss out that we don't want that kind of sell; that we are capable of making up our own minds about who to donate to; that we don't want to stand listening to trained salesmen/women on our own doorsteps on a cold and wintry night making silly conversation which has not one iota of natural rapport in it.

The sad thing is that it must work by the time they still do it or are we too complacent about being verbally attacked in our own homes?

Other irritating sayings are "Oh yes, it's always cold and wet in Caithness; the weather always turns bad when the kids are on holiday; I've just put out my washing so of course it will rain, etc., etc.

Another one that bothers me is when you ask an assistant for what you want and they reply "no bother". Of course it is no bother, you are getting paid for it, I don't need reassurance that I am not a bother as I don't feel I am being a bother, I am putting money into your pocket and your employers pocket. I am being a customer and you are doing your job.

Irritating sayings are being spouted by those who don't have the manners to be interested in the person they are talking to and just trot out inane words as conversation. I would rather they just smiled genuinely, dealt with your business and take the lead from the customer instead of prattling on about nothing.

Is it obvious that the Christmas spirit is yet again infecting Torvaig with a sense of well-being, complacent tolerance of all the nonsense involved in this happy season which lasts from October to February and a feeling of being taken over by corporate stooges in the management of my time, money and life in general?

Anyone got a croft in the middle of nowhere they can sell me? Oh and where are you going for your holidays?:confused

golach
26-Nov-10, 11:49
Tut tut Torvaig, I am the original Grump on the Org, how dare a nice Orger like you, post a rant such as this, did you get out of bed on the wrong side this morning?
Have a nice day, and I really mean that :lol:

highland red
26-Nov-10, 11:50
I'm right behind you two here. I am a grumpy old man and so what?

"ticks all the boxes" is one that does me in and I must admit "enjoy" rubs me up too. "Been there, done that, got the tee shirt" is another.

I heard a Brit presenter the other week refer to having "done the math". Bloody hell is nothing sacred?
:eek:

Torvaig
26-Nov-10, 11:52
I'm right behind you two here. I am a grumpy old man and so what?

"ticks all the boxes" is one that does me in and I must admit "enjoy" rubs me up too. "Been there, done that, got the tee shirt" is another.

I heard a Brit presenter the other week refer to having "done the math". Bloody hell is nothing sacred?
:eek:

Yes, when did "Math" become singular? In my day it was always called "maths". Same with the pronunciation of "sixth". Now it is "sicth" which I find especially irritating.....:(

Torvaig
26-Nov-10, 11:56
Tut tut Torvaig, I am the original Grump on the Org, how dare a nice Orger like you, post a rant such as this, did you get out of bed on the wrong side this morning?
Have a nice day, and I really mean that :lol:

Golach, I know you do and I thank you.

I'm afraid I always get extremely grumpy at this time of year when the whole land goes potty on spending money they don't have and then complaining about having to or that they can't afford it. If you can't afford it then don't!

Anyway golach, have a nice day yourself! :lol:

And now I am off to hibernate.....

Fluff
26-Nov-10, 12:18
well, at the end of the day...

argh!

pat
26-Nov-10, 13:11
Yes I am a grumpy ould wifie - and I also agree with all said above.

Must get my SAD lamp working again now that I am back to see if that will take the edge of the grumpiness but I doubt it, lived with being a grumpie ould wifie for too long to change now!

jimbews
26-Nov-10, 14:06
well, at the end of the day...

argh!

Especially from weather forecasters:

It's going to be a wet/sunny/windy OLD day

What' s old about it? If anthing it's a new day!

Corrie 3
26-Nov-10, 14:11
"Like for Like Sales" does it for me....What ever happened to the word Comparative ?

C3.....:roll:

oldchemist
26-Nov-10, 17:53
Forward planning - what is the alternative?

At this point in time - now?

And my all-time pet hate "it's your round"

ShelleyCowie
26-Nov-10, 17:56
"Typical Caithness Weather" - em just move then and you can have your typical weather elsewhere! :lol:

scorrie
26-Nov-10, 18:18
I with you all the way on that one! I had a young man at my door a few weeks ago, it was pouring rain, it was dark and he started by coming with some inane remarks obviously drummed into him on a course; he made some observations about the neighbours, commented on my dog and eventually got round to asking me to donate regularly to The Red Cross and to give him my banking details so as to make my life easier by not having to get in touch with my bank, just sign a direct debit!

I just wonder, if a polite "No thank you" is the advice for dealing with Jehovah's Witnesses, then is that same advice good for the above scenario and ALL others who come tapping your door uninvited?

As for Americanisms etc, my pet hates come from American Football when commentators mention one team being "Outphysicalled" by the other team or teams trying to "Outtrickerise" one another by employing plays that involve "trickeration". Final word on a very high scoring NFL game where the commentator announced "Mercy, what a lot of scoring here tonight, it's hard to believe this game started at 0-0!!"

joxville
26-Nov-10, 19:00
Just a few that annoy me:

'Push the envelope'

'Think outside the box'

'Ticks all the boxes'

Take a raincheck'

'So like'

[evil]

Garnet
26-Nov-10, 20:04
How about
'I know where you're coming from' Hello...I'm here already!!

Standing in a queue with only one checkout open, the next one opens eventually and 'cutie' says to wrong end of queue "I'll take you here" that's not B/fair and downright rude.

Then there's the words with the 'isms' etc added like 'Insiteful' there's others but only remember when I hear them....old age, sorry. ;)

Oh and as for 'think outside the box' silly me didn't know I was in one..yet!

golach
26-Nov-10, 20:10
I dislike Joined up Thinking!!!!!!!!

But I really like, If you cannot do the time do not do the crime!!!!

brandy
26-Nov-10, 20:17
Americanism annoys the crap out of me.. that word is used way to much on here.. and is a blanket word to cover everything that people seem to find wrong in their world *rolls eyes*

Kenn
26-Nov-10, 20:18
Ongoing.......why not continuing?

Negative profit......why not admit to making a loss?

9/11.........on my calendar that is the 9th of November not the 11th of September.

"Catch you later.".......I trust you can either run faster than me or that you have very strong arms and why would you be wanting to toss me in the air or trap me?

mrlennie
26-Nov-10, 20:23
I don't mind as long as it's not something that office goons (not all office workers are office goons but you know what I mean) say to make themselves feel more important.

An example would be...."did you get the memo?"

Response...."you mean the email? Because that's what I think you're talking about unless you are talking about some new form of communication?"

Etc...

mrlennie
26-Nov-10, 20:24

Another two right there!

mrlennie
26-Nov-10, 20:26
Americanism annoys the crap out of me.. that word is used way to much on here.. and is a blanket word to cover everything that people seem to find wrong in their world *rolls eyes*

Agree Brandy. Then again people do copy americans which is annoying but I don't like the use of the word as you say.

ducati
26-Nov-10, 21:41
As for Americanisms etc, my pet hates come from American Football when commentators mention one team being "Outphysicalled" by the other team or teams trying to "Outtrickerise" one another by employing plays that involve "trickeration". Final word on a very high scoring NFL game where the commentator announced "Mercy, what a lot of scoring here tonight, it's hard to believe this game started at 0-0!!"

Well that really serves you right for watching NFL-Mine is (in any US vehicle racing league) the winningest driver :roll:

Stargazer
26-Nov-10, 21:48
A pet hate of mine is when newsreaders include adjectives to make their topic more important. Like 'an influencial group of MPs'......

They are just MPs I'm sure the audience can decide their importance.:lol:

bluechesse
26-Nov-10, 21:52
"Thats not the way it was done in my day....."
When exactly was your day?
Does the fact that your still here now not mean this is still your day?
And the reason it's now done differently is because some one has thought of a new and, most probably, better way of doing it.
It's called progression.........:mad:

ducati
26-Nov-10, 21:52
Buzzword Bingo is a favourite game in meetings (Preferably with a new client you don't know). You and a colleague/collaborator go into a meeting with prepared list of buzzwords that have to be used or heard from a non-participant. Then, when all the words are out, you have to make a very obvious sound or signal. I once waited 2 1/2 hours to use the word Pedagogical (John Little) in a meeting with Strathclyde Education Department. :eek:

highland red
26-Nov-10, 21:56
Great stuff from you lot! I thought it was just me.

What about "Blue sky thinking" and "same old, same old"? What about (terrible though it was), "Ground Zero". And on that same theme I really hate the phrase, "Seven Seven" in regard to our own suicide bombings.

Just in case anyone thinks I am being "Ant-eye" American here, then what about the phrase, "Do one", or "get out of my face".

Very sad....................:~(

Stargazer
26-Nov-10, 22:01
"its a hundred times smaller" surely its "one hundreth of the size".

Corrie 3
26-Nov-10, 22:14
Great stuff from you lot! I thought it was just me.

Just in case anyone thinks I am being "Ant-eye" American here, then what about the phrase, "Do one", or "get out of my face".

Very sad....................:~(

"Whadever" !!!!!!!!!

C3...;):roll:

Blarney
27-Nov-10, 01:41
Agree with all of the aforementioned and to add to those -

I can't abide 'touching base'
I cringe every time I hear (or see) people using, 'I could of' instead of 'I could have'
Cheers! is a toast which is acceptable in a bar or social situation but has no place in everyday language to replace a polite 'thank you'. However, it has crept into our lives and everyone from checkout operators to so-called professionals use it and it drives me up the wall.
I'm sure that there are plenty more where they came from but these are the most annoying that I can remember off hand.

davem
27-Nov-10, 01:45
I think we'd better put this on a back burner.

neilsermk1
27-Nov-10, 10:23
The use of the word "so" gets my vote, as in "I am so going to do that", or I'm so going to get that handbag"

John Little
27-Nov-10, 10:56
Buzzword Bingo is a favourite game in meetings (Preferably with a new client you don't know). You and a colleague/collaborator go into a meeting with prepared list of buzzwords that have to be used or heard from a non-participant. Then, when all the words are out, you have to make a very obvious sound or signal. I once waited 2 1/2 hours to use the word Pedagogical (John Little) in a meeting with Strathclyde Education Department. :eek:

Aye - but I spelled it as 'Paedogogical'....

Can I join the grumpy club too? I get very very grumpy, even testy, especially before I have had my coffee in the morning. My wife says I act like a bear so I must qualify to join the Grumpy Orgers Bund (GOB)

And I prefer home grown platitudes to furrin ones - whatever floats your boat....

RecQuery
27-Nov-10, 13:30
Hmm lets see:

The word zeitgeist because it's so over used. It's one of those words stupid people use to try and appear smart.

Similarly:

Proactive
Paradigm
Synergy

I worked with one person who whenever I used the word problem they would say 'don't you mean opportunity or challenge'. In a more IT sense because you know that's my domain:

Web 2.0
Social media
Cloud computing
Enterprise software

They're all crappy marketing terms to try and make simple concepts seem fancy and revolutionary and they each have so much artifice pilled up around them.

scorrie
27-Nov-10, 18:15
Americanism annoys the crap out of me.. that word is used way to much on here..

The search facility reveals that the word has been used in 36 posts on this site since 9th Feb 2003, your post is one of these 36 and when I press submit it will become 37, I can't quote the percentage in relation to all posts since that time but it is pretty safe to say it can hardly be classed as "way to (sic) much"

Bazeye
27-Nov-10, 19:15

9/11.........on my calendar that is the 9th of November not the 11th of September.

Luckily(bad choice of word I know) ours happenned on July 7th. what would it have been if it was a day later?

ducati
28-Nov-10, 09:44
The word zeitgeist because it's so over used.

:eek::eek::eek:

orkneycadian
28-Nov-10, 10:46
"Does anyone know what time XYZ are open on a Sunday? / Are the trains going tomorrow? / What road should I take out of Wick to get to Inverness?" are quite irksome! ;)

ShelleyCowie
28-Nov-10, 11:12
"Does anyone know what time XYZ are open on a Sunday? / Are the trains going tomorrow? / What road should I take out of Wick to get to Inverness?" are quite irksome! ;)

em sorry to ask but whats wrong with those? :confused

orkneycadian
28-Nov-10, 11:15
Google! (http://www.google.co.uk) ;)

ShelleyCowie
28-Nov-10, 11:18
Google! (http://www.google.co.uk) ;)

Im not even gonna say anything....:roll:

Errogie
28-Nov-10, 11:22
My pet hate is use of the singular as in there were "crow in the wood", curlew on the moor, or otter in the river.

It immediately makes me feel that the users are attempting to add insincere gravitas and authority to whatever they are trying to put across.

orkneycadian
28-Nov-10, 14:01
The opposite of "a panini" then! :roll:

Or as bad, "Two panini's"!

[lol]

crayola
28-Nov-10, 14:18
My pet hate is use of the singular as in there were "crow in the wood", curlew on the moor, or otter in the river.

It immediately makes me feel that the users are attempting to add insincere gravitas and authority to whatever they are trying to put across.And we all know the correct expression is 'sheepies on the hill'.

scotsannie
28-Nov-10, 20:06
Two of my pet hates are: "At this moment in time" and "Cheers" instead of a Thank you, the number of people especially in shops that use the word cheers instead of thank-you irritates me, where has the polite please and thank you gone to? I would love to go on "Grumpy Old Women" I would have a great time.Forgot to say "Take Care" that's another that winds me up.

GuitarHero
29-Nov-10, 12:48
If a shop assistant asks you do you want help with your packing not only are they doing their job correctly by providing good customer service but I'm pretty sure if they didn't say it then you'd all be up in arms about them being "rude" and "not speaking to me". Seems sales assistants just can't win these days. I for one am the sort of person I go into the supermarket do my shopping and all I care about is getting what I need and getting out of there and home, I couldn't really care less whether they speak to me or not and don't nitpick over what they say or do not say. You have to remember that they are a person aswell and getting grumped at by fussy customers if they don't say something, then being grumped at when they do say things like "do you need help with your packing" when their just trying to do their job must be really irritating. It's the same people who'd put a complaint in if they felt they had been rude to them but would have no problem being rude and obnoxious to said customer assistants themselves.

bekisman
29-Nov-10, 13:46
If a shop assistant asks you do you want help with your packing not only are they doing their job correctly by providing good customer service but I'm pretty sure if they didn't say it then you'd all be up in arms about them being "rude" and "not speaking to me". Seems sales assistants just can't win these days. I for one am the sort of person I go into the supermarket do my shopping and all I care about is getting what I need and getting out of there and home, I couldn't really care less whether they speak to me or not and don't nitpick over what they say or do not say. You have to remember that they are a person aswell and getting grumped at by fussy customers if they don't say something, then being grumped at when they do say things like "do you need help with your packing" when their just trying to do their job must be really irritating. It's the same people who'd put a complaint in if they felt they had been rude to them but would have no problem being rude and obnoxious to said customer assistants themselves.

I did mention this #1: "I know, it's what she has to say; instructions from management.. "

I just say: 'are you bloody blind, or somehing'!? Nah not really, I just nod and say, 'no, it's fine I'll do it'. And anyone who does mouth off to 'em is an idiot..

teddybear1873
29-Nov-10, 14:22
The most annoying I hear are -

Have a good one (have a good what)

Bye ya'll.

Young kids saying 'Whatever' with an attitude.

It is what it is.

It's a no brainer.

George Brims
29-Nov-10, 18:46

It immediately makes me feel that the users are attempting to add insincere gravitas and authority to whatever they are trying to put across.
It's the only thing that puts me off David Attenborough - when he continually refers to a herd of animals as "the elephant" or "the wildebeest".
Similarly annoying are the fashion gurus on the telly who refer to a pair of breeks as "a pant". Mrs B sometimes has to come running with a calming cup of tea or a damp cloth for the forehead, as I scream at the screen, "Which bloody leg? Why isn't it a pair any more?"

cherokee
29-Nov-10, 19:24
Someone else has said the same thing.....

I detest the saying...... "Just touching base"

Drives me NUTS !!! [evil][evil]

Liz
29-Nov-10, 20:05
When someone says 'There's nothing worse than....' and follows it with something really trivial that annoys me soooooo much!

Also describing something as ' great big huge'!!!

scorrie
29-Nov-10, 23:05
"Very unique" gets on my paps. Uni = one

"Quantitative Easing" is something to do with the financial world but sounds to me to be more like the process involved when having a stiff crap!!

ducati
29-Nov-10, 23:51
There's nothing worse than when someone says 'There's nothing worse than....' and follows it with something really trivial that annoys me soooooo much!

Fixed it :D

Liz
30-Nov-10, 00:01
Fixed it :D

Crikey I'm slow tonight as had to read your reply twice to see what you meant!:lol:

george1234
01-Dec-10, 04:30
haha i baught a dvd and she asked if id need help packing.. lol

SunnyChick
01-Dec-10, 09:32
Funniest thing.... was in for a spray tan. (You have to strip to your knickers in a sort of tent thing.) Then the beautician knocks on the door and asks, "Are you decent?" To which I thought (but did not voice aloud), "No, definatly not decent....but I AM READY!!" :lol:Ha ha!

orkneycadian
10-Dec-10, 20:36
"The Big Freeze" :roll:

Synonymous with seeing England on the news with black roads, verge to verge.

highland red
10-Dec-10, 21:07
Got me going again here..........ALUMINUM. FRIES,SIDE etc.

AND on documentaries: what is a VETERAN. ROOKIE. came out of left field?

Why do people say (normally in industry) we're waiting ON something. Surely that should be we're waiting FOR something.

orkneycadian
10-Dec-10, 21:11
ALUMINUM.

If I recall right, thats the original, and arguably correct spelling. Someone this side of the Atlantic (and probably south of the wall...) decided to change it to aluminium as it sounded more like other elements such as sodium, barium, uranium, etc etc.

highland red
10-Dec-10, 22:32
If I recall right, thats the original, and arguably correct spelling. Someone this side of the Atlantic (and probably south of the wall...) decided to change it to aluminium as it sounded more like other elements such as sodium, barium, uranium, etc etc.

I stand corrected orkneycadian: still there's plenty more where that came from though.;)

I must admit that I once worked for a huge company called "Comalco" in Sydney, Australia. And guess what we produced? Aluminium/aluminum/very hot and useful cans and things.