PDA

View Full Version : Glasvegas

MusicWicker
26-Nov-10, 10:28
Glasvegas to play Wick!

On Jan 7th 2011 the mighty Glasvegas will be coming to town for the biggest show to hit the north yet! Tickets are on sale TOMORROW (Sat 27th) from Macallans Wick and Thurso Mens Shops and Blackstairs Lounge, Wick

rob murray
26-Nov-10, 12:39
Glasvegas to play Wick!

On Jan 7th 2011 the mighty Glasvegas will be coming to town for the biggest show to hit the north yet! Tickets are on sale TOMORROW (Sat 27th) from Macallans Wick and Thurso Mens Shops and Blackstairs Lounge, Wick

WHo is the promoter ?

sjr014
27-Nov-10, 14:21
Bought my tickets this morning, Saw them a TITP 09 and they were fab! Cannot Wait! :)

Think it is Ryan Cook that has organised it!

WeeRob
27-Nov-10, 18:52
It's part of a wider tour, taking in lesser visited areas of Scotland. Tour begins in Orkney and other dates include Oban, Hawick and more..

That said, I think it is a sign that Wick is now seen as a viable location to bring a touring act.. normally these groups tend to just head straight to Orkney!

So well done Ryan.

Liz
28-Nov-10, 15:29
I'd never heard of them until someone sent me a YouTube link.

Just listening to Geraldine and it's great!!!!:D

MusicWicker
01-Dec-10, 10:12
For anyone who's unsure of them...

www.Glasvegas.net

These boys supported U2 and Kings of Leon on their Stadium Tours last year so this will be a very intimate gig for them.

:)

rob murray
01-Dec-10, 13:36
It's part of a wider tour, taking in lesser visited areas of Scotland. Tour begins in Orkney and other dates include Oban, Hawick and more..

That said, I think it is a sign that Wick is now seen as a viable location to bring a touring act.. normally these groups tend to just head straight to Orkney!

So well done Ryan.

Well said, Week is now seen as a viable venue for known bands, this has undoubtably been built up by Ryan Cook's reputation for putting bands on at the stairs

Bazeye
03-Dec-10, 18:25
Wasnt there a Stiff tour in Caithness in the late 70s? Anyone go to that , any memories, or better still photos?

Invisible
05-Dec-10, 22:46
Saw them support U2 at Hampden, thought they were pretty shoddy. not my cup of tea and all the songs sounded the same.

But hey they should be good in an intimate surrounding

buddyrich
08-Dec-10, 12:23
Pretty sure there was a stiff tour up here. I dunno if it was the first one that had the blockheads and elvis Costello. Probably not.

rob murray
08-Dec-10, 17:21
Wasnt there a Stiff tour in Caithness in the late 70s? Anyone go to that , any memories, or better still photos?

yep I was there, to my memory this was the second stiff tour, as Costello /Blockheads et all were involved in the first whihc didnt come to Wick. This tour featured up and comming stiff label minor acts :

Rachel Sweet ( backed by the Records who played a short 15 minute set themselves )
Lena Lovitch
Wreckless Eric
Mickey Jupp
Jonah Lewie ( of the later christmas hit : Stop the cavalry

Stiff promoted the tour "hinting" that their bigger acts would be making surprise appearances...and surprise surprise...no big act made a guest appearance in Wick Assembly rooms. Great show, good PA, good lights crowd of around 500...good atmosphere, best band The Records by a mile. Gig was reviewed in one of the big music papers....usually tosh...comming to the middle of know where, unintelligent / unsophiticated crowd etc etc.

Two other great gigs though : Echo and The Bunnymen Wick 1982 and Del Amitri 1990 /91...Del Amitri was one of the best ever in the North ( in that time period )

Other highlights : Babe Ruth 1972, Writing on the Wall 1974...not a lot happened in the 70's!