PDA

View Full Version : Drilling through stone walls

mrlennie
25-Nov-10, 23:28
Hi anyone know where to hire a demolition breaker for drilling through stone walls?

upolian
25-Nov-10, 23:55
Allans of gillock....................

Dog-eared
26-Nov-10, 19:13
You wand an SDS drill. A breaker might loosen off too moch of the area your'e working on.

mrlennie
26-Nov-10, 19:18
You wand an SDS drill. A breaker might loosen off too moch of the area your'e working on.

Thanks for the advice but the hole could go up to 4" for soil pipe and the wall is like the really really thick heavy stone we get up here so I'd be there for weeks with an SDS. Unless you know of a drill that would be up to the task?

Even if you did drill the stone just shatter and chunks come off it. You have to point up either way in my experience.

Dog-eared
26-Nov-10, 19:40
Yes, if it's dressed stone rather than random rubble it would be a lot of drilling !

stewart4364
26-Nov-10, 19:47
You could use a diamond coated hole cutter -- these come in various sizes which you should be able to hire from Allans Gillock, Travis Perkins or LED both in Thurso at the same time as you hire a drill suitable for the work to be carried out. A tungsten tipped hole cutter may also be suitable. Ask for advice at the hire shop.

mrlennie
26-Nov-10, 19:49
Any Idea what you call the stone? It's the Big greeny blocks see alot of it in wick near the blackstairs pub.

I seen a guy in huddart street putting a gas main in and he went through the wall with a breaker. Still took him about 3-4 hours. and it wasnt easy kept getting the chisel bit stuck.

stewart4364
26-Nov-10, 20:01
I should have said a core drill which is the correct name for a hole cutter.

mrlennie
26-Nov-10, 20:30
I should have said a core drill which is the correct name for a hole cutter.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've found they are ok for brickwork but nothing else. :~(

givemecandy
27-Nov-10, 23:25
have found after about the 20th time of going through these walls for various pipework a mixture of drilling with a GOOD sds drill and gently removing the surrounding material with either a small breaker ; say 10 -15kg breaker or the one i use a 20kg milwaukee sds max drill this lets you swap between drill and chisel tip. The drilled hole gives you a good guide and weakens any shiners in the wall. The biggest pain is the loose rubble you will find that falls down the middle cavity sections.

I have used bigger breakers but they can cause a lot of vibration and loosen a lot of material.

Forget the core drills, I only use mine for block or brick holes.

have fun.

mrlennie
27-Nov-10, 23:50
have found after about the 20th time of going through these walls for various pipework a mixture of drilling with a GOOD sds drill and gently removing the surrounding material with either a small breaker ; say 10 -15kg breaker or the one i use a 20kg milwaukee sds max drill this lets you swap between drill and chisel tip. The drilled hole gives you a good guide and weakens any shiners in the wall. The biggest pain is the loose rubble you will find that falls down the middle cavity sections.

I have used bigger breakers but they can cause a lot of vibration and loosen a lot of material.

Forget the core drills, I only use mine for block or brick holes.

have fun.

Great stuff thanks for the advice about swapping between bit and chisel.

A generous orger has offered to lend me his hilti! So I will use that with the method you suggested. Cheers.