PDA

View Full Version : The Most Memorable Character You've Ever Met

Saveman
10-Aug-06, 12:24
Who is the most memorable character you have ever met and why?

Maybe it was someone famous? or just an eccentric local?

(Thanx to Kingetter for inspiration) :)

Ricco
10-Aug-06, 13:49
Well, I met a Miss World winner... but was too young to appreciate it (10).

I met John Lord (Deep Purple)... who is a really nice guy!

I met Princess Anne... who wasn't so nice.

The most memorable? Hmmm... that would have to be a young lady when I was 14. Brought me out of my immense shyness. Thanks, Liz (Nothing sordid)

Dr Evil
10-Aug-06, 13:59
i met brewster bear at the travel inn coming back from my holidays when i was little.

hahaha

obiron
10-Aug-06, 14:23
met ally mccoist when he was up here. was my fave rangers player at the time. was really excited to get his autograph.

Kingetter
10-Aug-06, 14:56
Mine wasn't famous,he did nothing heroic or attention-grabbing but he was special. He was a gardener. He may have been 70+ when I first saw him. He just seemed to potter about in a fair size garden, apparently effortlessly, whether grasscutting or weeding or whatever. Every now and then he'd stop, light his pipe and survey all he was master of, smiling as he did so. There was no tearing about with him. As he stood, puffing his pipe, you could tell he was at peace with the world and it with him. After a wee while he'd start again. Somehow, he could maintain a good garden, flowers, veggies etc etc with minimal effort, show he was enjoying it and always but always enjoyed a blether with a passerby. He never broke sweat but got all the hard work done just so easily. He had a wonderful twinkle in his eye. A lovable and most memorable character.

Ricco
10-Aug-06, 15:09
Mine wasn't famous,he did nothing heroic or attention-grabbing but he was special. He was a gardener. He may have been 70+ when I first saw him. He just seemed to potter about in a fair size garden, apparently effortlessly, whether grasscutting or weeding or whatever. Every now and then he'd stop, light his pipe and survey all he was master of, smiling as he did so. There was no tearing about with him. As he stood, puffing his pipe, you could tell he was at peace with the world and it with him. After a wee while he'd start again. Somehow, he could maintain a good garden, flowers, veggies etc etc with minimal effort, show he was enjoying it and always but always enjoyed a blether with a passerby. He never broke sweat but got all the hard work done just so easily. He had a wonderful twinkle in his eye. A lovable and most memorable character.

That's a nice one, Kingetter. There is a similar character on the nearby allotments. He must be around 70 himself but still works 6 months of the year out on the oil fields in Saudi.

Kingetter
10-Aug-06, 15:11
I like "Quiet and unassuming".

peedie man
10-Aug-06, 16:10
i shook hands with the queen mother when i was 12

squidge
10-Aug-06, 16:16
My memorable character is a friend of mine who lies in lancashire. She isnt extraordinarily intelligent, she isnt astoundingly beautiful, she isnt very rich or a great sportsperson but she is a remarkable woman and has overcome such adversity and maintained her sense of humour and her capacity for love.

She had a miscarriage when she was 38 and neede blood transfusion, she then had to terminate a pregnancy due to serious disabilities in the baby - a terrible decision to make. She then was told that the blood transfusion she had been given had infected her with Hepatits C. She had to fight to get interferon which then gave her such terrible side effects that she couldnt take it any more. She had to wait over ten years for her compensation living on disability benefts after she had to give up her job as she could no longer work. Her daughter had a lovely wee girl who struggles with serious allergies and my friend helps with her care - including going into school with her when she was little. Her eldest daughter has developed a serious medical condition which means that my friend has to look after her and her daughter and be her support as she is very depressed by it. She is now 56, she doesnt walk well and cannot work, she suffers pain and discomfort and doesnt have a huge amount of energy and yet you can rely on her to laugh and be light hearted, she calls a spade a spade - never think you will get a platitude from her she is a straight talking woman, but she has a big heart, When i was alone and had so little money i was struggling so much i wasnt sure i could put food on the table and hte boys needed trainers desperately She just ordered them from the catalogue and had them delivered to me. when i was financially more stable she refused to take the money back from them. During a particularly bad time i was having she was always there on the end of the phone. She always has a kind word and although if you cross her she has a sharp tongue she is one of the best people and the most admirable people i have ever met in my life.

Kingetter
10-Aug-06, 16:21
She deserves to be recognised with some sort of award - but then, she'd likely not accept it.

Murchiemannie
10-Aug-06, 16:45
Met "Super Ally" (Mccoist) ex-Rangers and Scotland player at Edinburgh airport a couple of weeks ago.
My grandsons got their photo taken with him but I forgot to ask for his autograph....silly me.
Also met OMD Group at Heathrow...went to the bar and when I came back to the table one of them was reading the "groat" and another had my P&J.
Said they had never seen those type of papers before.--told them "you don't know what you are missing!"

Blazing Sporrans
10-Aug-06, 19:30
An ordinary bloke - my hero and my inspiration - my father....

pultneytooner
10-Aug-06, 19:33
met ally mccoist when he was up here. was my fave rangers player at the time. was really excited to get his autograph.
Bet he disappointed you obiron?

golach
10-Aug-06, 19:42
Who is the most memorable character you have ever met and why?

Maybe it was someone famous? or just an eccentric local?

(Thanx to Kingetter for inspiration) :)

Firstly my Father, because he was famous to me! and then a certain John Sutherland, I'm not sure if he falls into the next catagory, but he made an impression on me

Cedric Farthsbottom III
10-Aug-06, 21:18
I've mentioned her afore in a previous thread.The lady I met in the Quariers Village outside Kilmacolm.Took in 200 Glagow orphans over 20 years.Room full of photos, letters from kids,now adults who she has spent her days with.

In these days to give your time like this is incredible and the lady was a gem.A true hero in my life that I had the pleasure to meet.She wasn't a 'celebrity' but I have more respect for her than anyone I have ever met.:D

pultneytooner
10-Aug-06, 21:26
I've mentioned her afore in a previous thread.The lady I met in the Quariers Village outside Kilmacolm.Took in 200 Glagow orphans over 20 years.Room full of photos, letters from kids,now adults who she has spent her days with.

In these days to give your time like this is incredible and the lady was a gem.A true hero in my life that I had the pleasure to meet.She wasn't a 'celebrity' but I have more respect for her than anyone I have ever met.:D
Quite right cedric, these are the people who deserve most praise.

daviddd
10-Aug-06, 21:40
First name that came to mind was Edwin Harrold of Stenness, Orkney. We lived near him and loved to go and walk around his Happy Valley, and sometimes pop in and see him in his little old 2 roomed house. He had no electricity, just a car dynamo attatched to a paddle in the burn nearby which powered a couple of little bulbs. He planted an amazing little wood around his house (many of you will know of him I'm sure), he used to be a forester at one time I think, knew all about trees, he has a Monkey Puzzle, the only one in Orkney perhaps. He was a real nice character, always smiling and pleased to see you, you had to just let yourselves into the house in the old way. He had a wicked sense of humour, and liked a whisky sometimes. An enduring image of him for me was him cycling back up the Bigswell Road from the Standing Stones Hotel or the Stenness shop with a fair few shots in him, weaving about on the road with no lights on his bike, but never falling off, even into his late 80's. I saw him a few months before he died and he was still the same character at 90-odd. He loved the outdoors and everything it has to offer, and didn't hold with any modern inventions like cars, TV's etc. - very refreshing. He was very content with almost no possessions to speak of, a quality that has deserted the world today, and one I admire.

Max
10-Aug-06, 21:46
I met Buzz Lightyear recently - he kissed my hand and I gave him a hug!

Gleber2
10-Aug-06, 21:56
Ye owld sod, ye an Pultenytooner. Ye've managed till make me feel humble. Didna think it possible.

golach
11-Aug-06, 00:06
John Sutherland, I think he has made an impression on many folk although my experience of him is hand me down.
What John Sutherland are ye referring till, I am referring till Johnny Croall[disgust]

plutonio
11-Aug-06, 14:42
i once met Colonel Muammer Gadaffi, he gave everyone that was working on the refinery a $100 Amex traveller cheque.
The most memorable character was Dodo Mackay who sadly died a couple of years ago, he was one of a kind.

pultneytooner
11-Aug-06, 14:57
What John Sutherland are ye referring till, I am referring till Johnny Croall[disgust] Why would it disgust you, we're just having a laugh or is that not allowed.[disgust]

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 15:00
Now folks - right or wrong - can we keep this thread peaceful please?

Gleber2
11-Aug-06, 15:16
Why would it disgust you, we're just having a laugh or is that not allowed.[disgust]
Have I missed something here with this talk of disgust?

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 15:24
Take your moans somewhere else please folks. Or start a moan thread all of your own.

canuck
11-Aug-06, 15:31
Israel's Benjamin Netanyahu, back in the days when he was called Ben.

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 15:35
How did you meet?

canuck
11-Aug-06, 15:54
It was 1975, I was on a tour of Israel. We stopped for lunch at a college and a young military person was giving us a lecture. His father was by for a visit and sat across from me during the meal. We chatted about life. I actually took down some notes that day, including names. I never thought of it again until I heard his voice on TV during the first Gulf War. I immediately recognized the voice. I checked my notebook from that trip and sure enough, the name matched.

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 15:57
That's kinda good eh? One never knows.

Gleber2
11-Aug-06, 15:58
Take your moans somewhere else please folks. Or start a moan thread all of your own.

My post is not a moan, it's a question.

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 16:01

I hear you - but -
Quote:
Originally Posted by pultneytooner
Why would it disgust you, we're just having a laugh or is that not allowed.[disgust]

All sounds like disquiet to me - or am I wrong? Never mind, rhetorical question.

canuck
11-Aug-06, 16:07

And it is a very good question. But we are wrecking Saveman's thread here.

As a famous person yourself Gleber2, have you met other memorable people who might be of interest to the org readers?

Gleber2
11-Aug-06, 16:22
As a famous person yourself Gleber2, have you met other memorable people who might be of interest to the org readers?

Apart from famous musicians like Jeff Beck, Rod Stewart and many others, the most memorable person I have ever met was the owner of the Peace Hotel in Kabul, Afghanisan. His name was Babar and I have never met a more charismatic person.

Gleber2
11-Aug-06, 16:34
I hear you - but -
Quote:
Originally Posted by pultneytooner

All sounds like disquiet to me - or am I wrong? Never mind, rhetorical question.

As you know(probably) my name is John Sutherland, thus my interest in the noted threads. It was with incredulity that I read my own name in this thread and that incredulity has been justified by subsequent posts. Thank you Golach, for the confusion. You have set my mind at rest. You must have been aware of the confusion your post would create when you posted it.[disgust]

coastown
11-Aug-06, 18:54
i have met quite a few famous people
1 Peter Ustinov
2 Noel Edmunds
3 Alvin Stardust
4 Jimmy Logan
5 Frankie Millar
6 Russell Hunter
7 Andy Stewart
8Des Oconner
9 Billy Connely

percy toboggan
11-Aug-06, 19:36
I do not think I have ever met anyone truly 'memorable' in the way you mean, anyway !
What an empty life I have led. Sir Matt Busby once politely asked me to move my car. But it wasn't mine.

sjwahwah
11-Aug-06, 19:40
most memorable... must be Tomas & Knut who I met in a mountaineous region somewheres between Croatia & Italy whilst hitchhiking... still am very good mates with them. And Arthur.. a local here in Leith... and several other punters around here especially some of the old boys that drank in the pub I worked at for several years here in Leith.. Michael Reynolds... Bird of Ocho Rios and Manny the Granny Angel and my brother-in-law.....and several others.....

memorable only because they're famous i suppose

Billy Dodds
Gordon Smith
Dougie Donnelly (met all three after the Rangers v. Dundee Scottish Cup final...2004 was it?!)
Jerry Only (knocked me over then we shared a pint! nice bloke)
Greg Turner (Angry Samoans)
Nicole Bobek (wasn't famous at the time tho?! but, memorable because of her amazing abilities!):D
Mohammad Ali
Bobby Jurasin (Saskatchewan Roughriders - neighbour & babysat his kiddies)
Lynn Palm (worked for her as a young person)

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 20:13
As you know(probably) my name is John Sutherland, thus my interest in the noted threads. It was with incredulity that I read my own name in this thread and that incredulity has been justified by subsequent posts. Thank you Golach, for the confusion. You have set my mind at rest. You must have been aware of the confusion your post would create when you posted it.[disgust]

Sorry, I'm an ignoramus - I didn't know your 'real name', and now I do, I'm wondering if I should have? Am I missing something real significant other than the parallell Sutherland names? I also don't get the famous bit.

Gleber2
11-Aug-06, 20:29
Sorry, I'm an ignoramus - I didn't know your 'real name', and now I do, I'm wondering if I should have? Am I missing something real significant other than the parallell Sutherland names? I also don't get the famous bit.

Some consider me famous, others infamous, perhaps I am both. Well known yes, but no reason for you to know me. As a musician some people think I am one of the best in the business and others say I can't really play. Take your pick. If you would like to hear for yourself, PM me and I will ensure that you get enough of my music to judge for yourself.
For an explanation of the second part of your post you would have to ask others who started the game in the first place. Our families were less than friends before my time.;)

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 20:32
And the type of music? Might give me a clue.

Gleber2
11-Aug-06, 20:57
And the type of music? Might give me a clue.

Jimmy Hendrix to Jimmy Shand.

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 20:59
OK - thanks. Both I know.
However, my particular path lies in a somewhat different direction so I will remain in the darkness. Thanks though.

Gleber2
11-Aug-06, 21:12
OK - thanks. Both I know.
However, my particular path lies in a somewhat different direction so I will remain in the darkness. Thanks though.

What is your music of choice?

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 21:50
Sibelius - Finlandia.
My favourite piece of music - also a hymn - Be Still My Soul - which I play a lot!
(A recording - see - http://www.morristonorpheus.com/)

I'm into instrumental rather than sung usually, esp piano pieces. I do like a certain classical guitarist also.

There's more but that's sort of the path.

Issy13
11-Aug-06, 22:14
There was a sort of vagabond man in my home town who was strange to say the least.
He wore old clothes that weren't his size and were very threadbare. He used a piece of rope to hold his pants up and quite often the soles on his boots were flapping loose.
He had a type of shack in a bend on the road just outside of town.
At one point, he tunneled under the highway to join up with the city watermain and caused the road to cave in. The city took him to court over it. He was his own lawyer - and he won !!
His house was lined inside with newspapers and he used tar paper on the outside.
He had an old truck he drove and often had a dog tied up to the truckbed. More than once a dog fell off unnoticed by him and I'll leave it up to you to imagine the rest of that story....
He pretended to be very illiterate ,dirty, and unfriendly.
I worked in the Post Office and can tell you that he was not illiterate. He received mail from all over the world.
He ate his lunch at the P.O. desk in the lobby and then wrote to the Postmaster General in Ottawa, Canada and complained about the greasy condition of the desks. He used the pens to open his mail and clean his fingernails and then wrote about the deplorable state of the pens.
I was working in General Delivery once and he came in to buy a stamp for his letter. I watched as he affixed it to the envelope and saw that it was addressed to himself.
I left my wicket and hurried downstairs to where he had dropped the letter down the chute in the lobby. I cancelled it with a hand stamper and hurried upstairs again and put the letter in his P.O. box. He was still at the chute looking down. Then he came over to the General Delivery wicket and asked if there was any mail for him. There always were a lot of letters, and as usual, I handed them over to him and watched him as he sorted through them at the desk.
When he got to his own letter, he did a little surprised jump, stared at it . scratched his head, then looked around in a sort of daze.

He had nothing to complain about that day !!
There are other stories about him but I've gone on long enough about my most memorable character.
Did I mention that he had a University Degree ??

Gleber2
11-Aug-06, 22:30
Sibelius - Finlandia.
My favourite piece of music - also a hymn - Be Still My Soul - which I play a lot!
(A recording - see - http://www.morristonorpheus.com/)

I'm into instrumental rather than sung usually, esp piano pieces. I do like a certain classical guitarist also.

There's more but that's sort of the path.
A Ha. I, too, like classical instrumental music but I don't play any recognised classical pieces. Quite a lot of my jazz compositions have a fair classical influence. Who is the guitarist you mention? I have a guitarist playing up here in a couple of weeks called Tristam Seume who is very classical in his technique but plays his own instumental music. Beautiful player and I look forward to his concert up here at the Lighthouse.

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 22:41
RODRIGUEZ M. : Guitar concerto, concerto de Aranjuez

Lighthouse? I'm having a 'slow' evening I think.

Gleber2
11-Aug-06, 22:57
RODRIGUEZ M. : Guitar concerto, concerto de Aranjuez

Lighthouse? I'm having a 'slow' evening I think.

Yes Rodriguez if a fine composer and The Concerto de Aranjuez is a truly superb piece. I live in Dunnet Head Lighthouse where I have a studio and small Makeshift Theatre where I put on private concerts every month or so for invited audiences and I record the artist. Had some amazing American and British guitatists. Jazz, blues, folk and country.Tristam Seume is the nearest to a classical player that we have had.

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 23:01
Aha! So, when I was along at a certain cottage on Sunday last, admiring peat etc, I wasn't far from you then?

Gleber2
11-Aug-06, 23:09
Aha! So, when I was along at a certain cottage on Sunday last, admiring peat etc, I wasn't far from you then?

You may well have been but many such cottages in this part of Caithness.

pultneytooner
11-Aug-06, 23:10
Try michael hedges rendition of bach's prelude to a cello suite, brilliant gutarist.;)

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 23:12
You may well have been but many such cottages in this part of Caithness.

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=12826

Give you a clue maybe?

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 23:15
Really? That good?

Gleber2
11-Aug-06, 23:42
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=12826

Give you a clue maybe?

Not far indeed. I supplied the PA system for Lord Thurso when he opened it.

Kingetter
12-Aug-06, 00:45
So, living where you do, does that make you a sort of hermit? lol

Gleber2
12-Aug-06, 01:22
So, living where you do, does that make you a sort of hermit? lol
As much as possible but not quite. I think I would like to be one but it would be a bit cold to live in a cave up Morven.
We'd better watch ourselves or we will get our fingers rapped for hijacking a sensible thread. They didn't like our pun thread. I suppose one man's meat is another man's poisson so to speak.:lol:

Kingetter
12-Aug-06, 01:33
Agreed. So, who would you like to have met?

Fran
13-Aug-06, 01:45
Some consider me famous, others infamous, perhaps I am both. Well known yes, but no reason for you to know me. As a musician some people think I am one of the best in the business and others say I can't really play. Take your pick. If you would like to hear for yourself, PM me and I will ensure that you get enough of my music to judge for yourself.
For an explanation of the second part of your post you would have to ask others who started the game in the first place. Our families were less than friends before my time.;)

i didn't know that was you gleber2. Yes you are definetly a great musician as is your son. Please come out of retirement. i never missed you in mackays when you were performing there in the good old days. i once said you should have made a relaxation music tape as you have a great voice....dont suppose you ever made one did you. as well as a great musician you were also a great character.

Fran
13-Aug-06, 01:56
I have met Princess Anne at Halkirk, and had tea with the queen Mother a few times, a great ordinary lady, but my most memorable and unforgetable was a young lad called david Wheble. About 20 years ago he set off from john O Groats to walk to Lands end and we became good friends. i arranged for him to be piped into wick and inverness, to go on wick lifeboat, be escorted by lord thurso on some of the road at Ulbster, and a visit to Keiss castle. I also interviewed him for Moray firth Radio daily. he raised £50,000 for a scanner at his local hospital in london.
The remarkable thing about David was that he set off knowing he was dying. He was only about 6stone and walked with a stick, he had brain tumours. he was so full of determination and i admired him greatly.he was so full of fun, what a joy it was to be with him. his mother worried about him frantically and was always phoning me.
Unfortunately he only got as far as Perth and was rushed to hospital. He was then flown home to london and i went straight to see him. He wasnt told he was dying and he asked me to be his back up driver as he wanted to return to perth and finish his walk to land end. he died a few days later. unfortunately his mother died of cancer a year later. i kept in touch with davids father, who also died of cancer three years later.
I wonder if any of you will remember him. he was always in white shorts and t-shirt, not much hair, a cap and his walking :( stick. People would come out of thier houses to give him monkey, cars stopped for him, it was truly amazing, just like David was.

Chobbersjnr
13-Aug-06, 02:00
my father has to be one of the most memorable people I've ever met

apart & aside from family though a gentleman called Davey Graham is one the most memorable people I've ever met & spent time with along with Derek Mosedale who also was very memorable