PDA

View Full Version : Spanish lessons

Fran
10-Aug-06, 00:44
does anyone know if there will be a spanish language class at Thurso or wick colleges?I missed the last one which was annoying as i had attended the first course and have been learning from spanish cd's since.

saffy100
10-Aug-06, 07:55
Hi

I called to enquire, and they said they would get a tutor to call me back. If i hear anything i'll let you know.
What cd's are you using, i'm just starting from scratch.

Saffy100

Colin Manson
10-Aug-06, 13:37
Hi,

I'll find out if Anna has been asked to do the night classes in Wick, I'll let you know once I've spoken to her.

For CD learning I'd suggest Spanish with Michel Thomas, it's purely for spoken Spanish (Latin American) but it's the best course that I've tried so far.

Cheers
Colin

Ricco
10-Aug-06, 14:06
Hola! I found Espana Viva, a BBC series to be very helpful. But remember, the Spanish generally speak very good English. You best teacher will be a local and they will love the fact that you are making an effort.

Kingetter
10-Aug-06, 15:20
Hola! I found Espana Viva, a BBC series to be very helpful. But remember, the Spanish generally speak very good English. You best teacher will be a local and they will love the fact that you are making an effort.

I found differences in attitudes in Spain. In Galicia, yes, true and they weren't just after tourists money, but elsewhere, well, let's just say I have reservations.

katarina
10-Aug-06, 21:23
I started learning from tapes before events in my life overtook me. I'd like to get back to it. If there is a class I would be interested.

Fran
11-Aug-06, 00:54
thank you all for your replies and comments.
I looked up the college website and there will be spanish classes in wick for 10 weeks on wednesdays 7 - 9pm. I hope it will be Anna teaching again as she is very good and lots of fun.
I'm sure my neighbours think i have a secret spanish man hidden away in my house.........I am listening to spanish learning tapes each day and they are very good. I got one in the Sun newspaper last week and it is very easy, very good for going on holiday.
I am hoping to be able to speak spanish fluently by next year. i know enough to get by just now, came in handy last year to direct the taxi who got lost as he didn't know a certain part of Mallorca.
why dont you all join me and make it a spannish org lesson night on wednesdays!!!

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 01:11
My name is manuel. I come from Barcelona.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/36fce658.jpg

katarina
11-Aug-06, 08:01
when do we join up?

pultneytooner
11-Aug-06, 09:53
My name is manuel. I come from Barcelona.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/36fce658.jpg
mi nombre es manuel, yo viene de Barcelona
Dunno if it's accurate, from babelfish

willowbankbear
11-Aug-06, 10:08
La mejor manera de aprender español es realmente hablar a un español, como sucede, mi mejor amigacho es de Galicia y está solamente demasiado dispuesta a ayudar. Cuando él primero llegó en fieltro que él tenía muy poco inglés, ahora él habla inglés fluido con un twang del fieltro, él suena bastante fresco también. Le ayuda ciertamente si intento del ye a hablar incluso español wee del pedacito como él aprecia. Pensé de goin a las clases pero Im siempre trabajo o canto consigue el tiempo

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 10:24
Buen esfuerzo. Niza para ver Galicia mencionó. ¿Cuándo usted aprendió español?

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 10:33
does anyone know if there will be a spanish language class at Thurso or wick colleges?I missed the last one which was annoying as i had attended the first course and have been learning from spanish cd's since.

Me disculpo por secuestrar este hilo de rosca

pultneytooner
11-Aug-06, 10:34
La mejor manera de aprender español es realmente hablar a un español, como sucede, mi mejor amigacho es de Galicia y está solamente demasiado dispuesta a ayudar. Cuando él primero llegó en fieltro que él tenía muy poco inglés, ahora él habla inglés fluido con un twang del fieltro, él suena bastante fresco también. Le ayuda ciertamente si intento del ye a hablar incluso español wee del pedacito como él aprecia. Pensé de goin a las clases pero Im siempre trabajo o canto consigue el tiempo The best way to learn Spanish is really to speak to a Spanish, as it happens, my better mate is of Galicia and is only too much arranged to help. When it first arrived in felt that it had very little English, now he speaks English fluid with twang of the felt, he also sounds quite fresh. Him aid certainly if attempt of ye to speak even Spanish wee of the small piece as it appreciates. I thought of goin to the classes but Im always work or song obtains the time. Manueeeeeeel.......:D

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 10:37
I just apologised for hijacking this thread. Maybe we should start a new thread on languages? I loved Galicia by the way. Stayed in Vigo.

Colin Manson
11-Aug-06, 11:36
I'm sure my wife could come along on Wednesday and help out, she has always been happy to exchange Spanish lessons for English ones.

I could create a Learn Spanish room for the lessons.

Cheers
Colin

saffy100
11-Aug-06, 12:01
Hi

Does anyone know how much the course is, and i would be starting from scratch. Would they have beginners in the class?

Saffy100

DrSzin
11-Aug-06, 12:34
For CD learning I'd suggest Spanish with Michel Thomas, it's purely for spoken Spanish (Latin American) but it's the best course that I've tried so far.I learned what little Spanish I once knew in California, and during a few weeks holiday in Mexico. I then came back to the UK and shared an office with a Spaniard. He told me I sounded like Speedy Gonzales when I tried to speak Spanish, and he used to make fun of my Mexican accent. So I gave up on it. I wish I hadn't. [disgust]

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 12:37
An early home for me was Venezuela so I learned some Spanish, but when I left, I dropped it and never recovered what I'd learned. Daft really!

Colin Manson
11-Aug-06, 12:46
I have to say that I prefer Latin Spanish to Peninsular Spanish; I just don't like the lisped 'c'

I was in a lift in Caracas and I asked the guy that came into the lift what floor he wanted, I didn't understand his answer so I asked him to repeat it. Eventually he said in English that he was going to the floor that I'd already selected.

It was only then that I realised that he was Spanish, I couldn't understand that his 'thinco' was my 'cinco'

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 12:52
Castilian Spanish? That the other expression? Kinda hard to lisp when its not normal for one to do so. I was in Cardon, but had to go to Caracas and Maracaibo (a kid goes where parents go, right?). I know different dialects existed then.

daviddd
11-Aug-06, 12:58
The Spanish restaurant in Inverness (up past the castle on the opposite side, near the lights) was giving lessons with dinner from time to time - seeems like fun. I can't recall the name of the place but I think it's Spanish for 'Killer Omelette', whatever that is? He hoped to open a place in Spain called the Killer Haggis!

We had a tapas dinner there once and it was very good, floored us though, the food just kept on coming!

Colin Manson
11-Aug-06, 14:00
Castilian Spanish? That the other expression?

Castilian is the main dialect in Spain but there are others, Peninsular Spanish just describes them as a whole. (I think :confused: )

It gets complicated because they also have about 4 different languages in Spain as well as the different dialects.

I was in Cardon, but had to go to Caracas and Maracaibo (a kid goes where parents go, right?).

Sure does, my wife was born in Maturin, moved to Maracaibo and finally went to Caracas.

DrSzin
11-Aug-06, 14:01
I have to say that I prefer Latin Spanish to Peninsular Spanish; I just don't like the lisped 'c'Agreed. But my Spanish office-mate was from Barcelona and he didn't lisp his c's either.

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 14:20
Castilian is the main dialect in Spain but there are others, Peninsular Spanish just describes them as a whole. (I think :confused: )

It gets complicated because they also have about 4 different languages in Spain as well as the different dialects.

Sure does, my wife was born in Maturin, moved to Maracaibo and finally went to Caracas.

My Dad worked for Shell and Maracaibo was where head office was and also a Club for Employees.
About all I recall of Cardon was the oilfield, sand and cactus which I was painfully introduced to!

Colin Manson
11-Aug-06, 14:21
Probably something to do with them speaking Catalan :D

Most books and courses are in Castilian or Latin Spanish, afaik.

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 14:25
I enjoy hearing Spanish, much more so than say German etc.
I also like Manana Manana.

Colin Manson
11-Aug-06, 14:39
I enjoy hearing Spanish, much more so than say German etc.
I also like Manana Manana.

Mañana, it's a pain getting those letters on an Engish keyboard :(

I had to do ALT+164 in notepad and then copy and paste.

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 14:54
Heck! I salute your efforts - well done. Put me to shame that does!

DrSzin
11-Aug-06, 15:16
Probably something to do with them speaking Catalan :DHe and his wife spoke Catalan and Castilian but they spoke so quickly I couldn't tell which was which! I take it that Catalan doesn't have a lisped 'c'?

Feliz Cumpleaños btw!

What's btw in Spanish?

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 15:29
He and his wife spoke Catalan and Castilian but they spoke so quickly I couldn't tell which was which! I take it that Catalan doesn't have a lisped 'c'?

Feliz Cumpleaños btw!

What's btw in Spanish? A propósito

willowbankbear
11-Aug-06, 15:33
I tried speakin with the lisp to my pal & he & his brother wet themselves,"Galicians do not speak like that, if ye come over to my house some1 will knock ye out for talking like a castilian[lol] " So I listen to them instaed

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 15:40
I tried speakin with the lisp to my pal & he & his brother wet themselves,"Galicians do not speak like that, if ye come over to my house some1 will knock ye out for talking like a castilian[lol] " So I listen to them instaed - Good Plan!

Colin Manson
11-Aug-06, 16:02
He and his wife spoke Catalan and Castilian but they spoke so quickly I couldn't tell which was which! I take it that Catalan doesn't have a lisped 'c'?

Feliz Cumpleaños btw!

I found this for Catalan

c -
Before e or i sounds like the c in acid. Examples: cel (sky), cita (appointment).

In almost all other cases sounds like the c in cat. Examples: poc (little, not much), casa (house).

ç -
Sounds like the c in acid. Examples: cançó (song), començar (to start).

Before a voiced consonant has a z sound rather like the s in as.

Gracias por certo.

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 18:54
One could begin to get quite busy with the'extra' keys on the keyboard.
That was a great contribution Colin.

Fran
12-Aug-06, 01:10
when do we join up?
Wehave to enrol on 29th august at 6.30pm. are you going?

saffy100
12-Aug-06, 10:02
Hi

My question seemed to get lost amongst all the discussion...lol...could anyone tell me if they will let complete beginners sign up, or do you have to have the basics already.
How much does it cost?

Cheers
Saffy100

Colin Manson
12-Aug-06, 12:13
The evening class list is here -

http://www.nhcscotland.com/Public/Evenings/Autumn%202006%20%20WICK.pdf

£43 for a 10 week course for beginners. Some people can get the course for free, details are at the end of the pdf, jobseekers, over 60s, etc.

Cheers
Colin

Fran
13-Aug-06, 01:15
[quote=saffy100]Hi

My question seemed to get lost amongst all the discussion...lol...could anyone tell me if they will let complete beginners sign up, or do you have to have the basics already.
How much does it cost?

the course is for beginners as well and is good fun. i went to the first one and enjoyed it and it certainly helped when i was in spain with non english speaking people.
T