PDA

View Full Version : less mpg on caithness fuel

gcmac
24-Nov-10, 11:27
just wondered if any one else has noticed that you get less mpg on caithness fuel as im down in aberdeen alot ive noticed than when i fill up in wick it shows up 440mls on trip computer when full but in aberdeen inverness it always shows up 550 or more in tank

Beat Bug
24-Nov-10, 11:38
You get less mpg from supermarket fuel. I find that using the performance grades from Shell or BP I get a lot more mgp, and a far better performance from my engine. So mush so that it actually works out cheaper per mile, despite the much higher cost, once the cheaper fuel has worked it's way out of the tank.

According to a friend who delivered fuel for one of the minor companies said that Shell was the best, as they put in more additives than any of the others.

theone
24-Nov-10, 11:50
just wondered if any one else has noticed that you get less mpg on caithness fuel as im down in aberdeen alot ive noticed than when i fill up in wick it shows up 440mls on trip computer when full but in aberdeen inverness it always shows up 550 or more in tank

You will get better performance and mileage from brand fuel than supermarket fuel. but I don't think that's the cause here.

Your trip computer works by comparing your recent fuel consumption and how much you have in your tank. Assuming you always fill up with the same amount (to full) the difference is your recent consumption.

You normally get better consumption on long journeys rather than town or stop/start driving, so I imagine the difference in Inverness/Aberdeen is that you've been sitting at 60mph for some time previous to filling up.

ducati
24-Nov-10, 13:25

Err.. how does your computer know where you filled up? That's barking :lol:

northener
24-Nov-10, 13:42
I've never seen any difference in MPG from one fuel supplier to another with bog-standard derv.

When I was running the taxis (about 60k miles per vehicle pa), I never saw any discernable difference whatsoever. Can't comment on Unleaded as I haven't had a petrol car for years.

tonkatojo
24-Nov-10, 14:07
Err.. how does your computer know where you filled up? That's barking :lol:

I think he/she means getting more mpg when filling his tank in Aberdeen IE: 550 miles per full tank as trip metre says, whilst 440 mpg filling up in Caithness per full tank as trip metre says. Nowt hard about understanding that. :roll:
Mind as Northener says I haven't noticed any difference.

ducati
24-Nov-10, 14:34
I think he/she means getting more mpg when filling his tank in Aberdeen IE: 550 miles per full tank as trip metre says, whilst 440 mpg filling up in Caithness per full tank as trip metre says. Nowt hard about understanding that. :roll:
Mind as Northener says I haven't noticed any difference.

Nope, the computer tells you your expected range from the amount of fuel in the tank. Pay attention!

tonkatojo
24-Nov-10, 14:55
Nope, the computer tells you your expected range from the amount of fuel in the tank. Pay attention!

Perhaps his/her car computer is liked with its sat/nav system and forecasts a difference on location, more info on vehicle involved would help the speculation.:(

Corrie 3
24-Nov-10, 15:38
Less MPG ?
Thats because by the time the fuel has travelled the long distance to Caithness some of it has evaporated so you dont get a full litre at the pumps..

C3...:roll::lol:

oldchemist
24-Nov-10, 17:33
A "full" tank on my car shows different max range depending on which side of the pumps at the local garage I park and the reason is that there is a slight slope on the forecourt which allows more fuel to get into the tank on one side. Simples?

ducati
24-Nov-10, 19:42
My Jag used to show zero range left, then go on for (on one occasion) over 100 miles before I could fill up :eek:

WICKER10
24-Nov-10, 20:04
It's obviously because we're getting ripped off by all the local fuel retailers, as usual: Isn't that what all the threads on the org comes down to??? ;)

You should know all about petrol prices you sell or used to the stuff in Halkirk

Ricco
24-Nov-10, 21:46
You will get better performance and mileage from brand fuel than supermarket fuel. but I don't think that's the cause here.

Your trip computer works by comparing your recent fuel consumption and how much you have in your tank. Assuming you always fill up with the same amount (to full) the difference is your recent consumption.

You normally get better consumption on long journeys rather than town or stop/start driving, so I imagine the difference in Inverness/Aberdeen is that you've been sitting at 60mph for some time previous to filling up.

Very true, theone. I always put 40L in the tank unless I am going to take a very long journey. On a long journey I can get 600 / 700 MPG whereas urban use gives me 450 / 550. I once got just over 900 on a 200 mile journey! This was due to a series of 50mph limits most of the way. LOL

2little2late
24-Nov-10, 22:09

Surely if you fill your tank up with water it would show the maximum miles expected from a full tank. How can a full tank of caithness fuel differ from a full tank of fuel from aberdeen. Absolutely makes no logic at all.

sids
24-Nov-10, 22:54
This sounds like an example of the much-lauded Aberdonian open-handed generosity.

bluechesse
24-Nov-10, 23:31
It's a consiracy! We must be getting sub standard fuel delivered to our petrol stations in caithness! And then sold to us at increased prices! Conspiracy! Rip off! etc etc etc..........;)

theone
25-Nov-10, 02:44
On a long journey I can get 600 / 700 MPG

600 miles to the gallon? Either you mean to the tank, or you're driving a motorised pushbike!

theone
25-Nov-10, 02:47
Surely if you fill your tank up with water it would show the maximum miles expected from a full tank. How can a full tank of caithness fuel differ from a full tank of fuel from aberdeen. Absolutely makes no logic at all.

As I said in my early post the computer takes the volume in the tank and divides it by the recent consumption. If you've been driving in 3rd gear around town it will be a lot lower than if you've recently completed a long journey in 5th gear, hence why when you fill up with fuel after a 2 hour drive to Inverness the computer calculates a longer range.

northener
25-Nov-10, 08:06
Fill tank up.

Set trip to zero.

Drive around.

Fill tank up again.

Note litres required to fill tank up.

Note miles covered on trip.

Do some basic sums involving litres replaced and miles covered. (If you're really clever you could convert litres into gallons;)).

Job done.

mrlennie
25-Nov-10, 10:08
I was reading in a book that the better octane fuel you use the longer it will last...