PDA

View Full Version : Ice Skating in Wick Market Square

wick-festival
09-Aug-06, 18:44
Hi all,

Just to let you know of another event we're running...

ICE SKATING IS COMING TO WICK!

http://partisgroup.com/icerink.jpg

If you've any questions, just post them here - don't worry if it rains, we have full cover.

krieve
09-Aug-06, 19:07
Thats great news i can't wait lol !!!

Naefearjustbeer
09-Aug-06, 19:32
Is it real ice? Or can someone tell me how it works???

willowbankbear
09-Aug-06, 19:46
Ice Skating in Wick Market square, This is a huge rumour by even Wick standards, yes??

It would be good though, who do ye think will come out of spoons & go round the rink & break their leg first?

Naefearjustbeer
09-Aug-06, 19:58
Ice Skating in Wick Market square, This is a huge rumour by even Wick standards, yes??

It would be good though, who do ye think will come out of spoons & go round the rink & break their leg first?

LOL I can just picture someone with a bit of a swagger coming out of the pub thinking they must be right blootered as they can hardly stand when they get outside and every one appears to be spinning round in circles :lol:

Murchiemannie
09-Aug-06, 20:09
well done to the organisers for bringing an ice rink to Wick.
If it's good enough for the cities ie: Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinburgh (even though they do theirs at Chrisrmas) it can only be a positive for Wick.
Go for it!!!
ps, Hope 1st aiders will be at hand! in case of little accidents.

Mr P Cannop
09-Aug-06, 20:15
well done to the organisers for bringing an ice rink to Wick.
If it's good enough for the cities ie: Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinburgh (even though they do theirs at Chrisrmas) it can only be a positive for Wick.
Go for it!!!
ps, Hope 1st aiders will be at hand! in case of little accidents.

will be a job for the British Red Cross first aiders

wick-festival
09-Aug-06, 20:19
Is it real ice? Or can someone tell me how it works???

It's synthetic ice and is just slotted together into a big rectangle. It's pretty similar feeling to real ice but it's a bit slower which is good for beginners. Figure skaters often use it to practice on as it allows them to do their moves slower first time with more precision.

Normal skates are used, and there will be a choice of hockey skates and figure skates in kids size 9 to adult size 12.

There's the Crown and Wetherspoons, and also that new cafe (can't remember the name), so come and make an afternoon of it.

wick-festival
09-Aug-06, 20:21
will be a job for the British Red Cross first aiders

They're great, had them at the festival all day and night, but they cost money!

We are taking it seriously though despite the cost, so we'll have our own first aiders on site for the quiet bits, and the Red Cross there for the busier parts.

Just wear gloves! :)

Naefearjustbeer
09-Aug-06, 20:23
Thanks for that I thought they would need an awfull big freezer to make enough ice to freeze up the square for a weekend. I wont venture onto it but I am sure the wife will want a go. What sort of age (minimum) of kids can have a go?

wick-festival
09-Aug-06, 20:28
Thanks for that I thought they would need an awfull big freezer to make enough ice to freeze up the square for a weekend. I wont venture onto it but I am sure the wife will want a go. What sort of age (minimum) of kids can have a go?

I've seen kids 3 or 4 years old skating, but it'll depend on what the insurance company tell me. I'll let you know.

candyfloss
09-Aug-06, 21:49
Can't wait to have a go :lol: Should be good fun, i think most of us will be in the same boat and not had a go at ice skating much before :eek:

Elenna
09-Aug-06, 22:07
I think it sounds completely BRILLIANT, and so do my kids! We are looking forward to it, and will certainly be there for some fun. :)

Ojibwa
09-Aug-06, 22:15
I think this is a great idea! Well done to the organisers. It would be a great idea to have one around Christmas to tie in with the fun day, Santa's grotto etc...

Fran
10-Aug-06, 00:08
Its advertised in todays paper as being in the Caithness Glass factory premises. Is this wrong?

Big Jean
10-Aug-06, 00:47
Ice skating is a lot of fun and good exercise at the same time. Next should be a hockey game, also good fun and anyone can play .

impatient
10-Aug-06, 10:13
I think this is a great idea! Well done to the organisers. It would be a great idea to have one around Christmas to tie in with the fun day, Santa's grotto etc...

If this one works, that's exactly what we'll do.

Its advertised in todays paper as being in the Caithness Glass factory premises. Is this wrong?

They must have had that information from a week ago - the venue did change as Barr are using it instead of portacabins, and whilst they could have been persuaded, we decided a central location was better once we worked out how to cover it.

Naefearjustbeer
17-Aug-06, 20:51
did anyone find out the younger age limit for the skating?

Mr P Cannop
17-Aug-06, 21:21
just to let you know the wick pipe band wil be playing that same evening

Naefearjustbeer
17-Aug-06, 22:36
So I heard. :D It will be busy in Wick this weekend I think

katarina
17-Aug-06, 22:36
Hope I have more success than I had riding the bull!

Naefearjustbeer
17-Aug-06, 22:42
Hope I have more success than I had riding the bull!

Is that legal?? ;)

rfr10
18-Aug-06, 15:45
Thought I'd just say, I don't know if it's written anywhere else but the ice skating will be at the riverside instead.

rainbow
18-Aug-06, 21:28
Went passed the Market Square and it appears that the Ice Rink is in the Market Square. Apparently the day sheet at the High School said it would be at the Riverside, so why do I see it in the Market Square?????

Naefearjustbeer
19-Aug-06, 16:40
It was in the market square as originally advertised here. Someone must be playing chinese whispers with the location. Well we are no long home The wife and oldest bairn had a go whilst I watched with the wee one, They thouroughly enjoyed it and it looked quite popular even though it was raining, shame about the music it was a bit loud. Also you were allowed on for an hour for your money which was pretty good value if you ask me. Well done to the organisers. It was also nice too see the old tractors on display. And any excuse to get a cake and some fresh strawberries from the stalls is good.

willowbankbear
19-Aug-06, 17:44
I passed an hour ago & the music was fine, not the pipe band for a change either

Naefearjustbeer
19-Aug-06, 17:49
When We first arrived the music was ok. But after the wife and bairn were finished on the rink we went into spoons for lunch. When we came back out it was blaring and some of the street traders were complaing about the racket. They maybe turned it back down again.

willowbankbear
19-Aug-06, 17:52
No , it was blaring when I passed, but I liked the tune that was playing, it was fine;) it wasnt the pipe band either , how can it be allowed or good?

Naefearjustbeer
19-Aug-06, 18:02
Oh no I must be turning into a GOG. The tunes were ok but they were distorting cause they were so loud. I am all for loud music I enjoy nothing better than a good band playing. But if the speakers and amps canna handle it it sounds crap no matter how good the tune.

MadPianoPlayer
19-Aug-06, 18:19
The Ice Rink in Wick is not very good. It is not even ice. It is just wood with lamented flooring and bubbles with water to make it slidy. It is NOT worth the money that you pay.

girnigoe
19-Aug-06, 18:32
I wouldnt say its no good. Its great fun for the kids. Something different to keep them amused for a wee while and at £3 for up to an hour its quite good value for money.

I agree though its not ice - just wet plastic!!

Naefearjustbeer
19-Aug-06, 19:17
I did wonder when I first saw it advertised how on earth it could possibly be ice. I very quickly came to the conclusion(someone told me on here) that it wasn't real ice. Quite obvious really thinking back on it. Now I am sure it is the equivalent of a dry ski slope Vs real snow. Ice Vs plastic for skaters. Not as good or fast as the real thing but better than nothing at all. In fact I would say for beginners or folk that have never skated before that it actually would be better than ice due to the fact that it is slower and not so slidey, to me that means less likely to injure your self on it. Going by the number of people using it all afternoon and the fact that you were getting an hours use for your money. I think it was brilliant value. Not many things you can go and let your kids do for £3

girnigoe
19-Aug-06, 19:44
My daughter (who has been "real" ice skating before) tells me she found it harder to skate on and spent most of her time hanging on to the side. :lol:

Naefearjustbeer
19-Aug-06, 19:51
My wife thought who has ice skated thought it was easyer for beginers as you had more time to react as it was slower than ice.

katarina
19-Aug-06, 20:05
The Ice Rink in Wick is not very good. It is not even ice. It is just wood with lamented flooring and bubbles with water to make it slidy. It is NOT worth the money that you pay.

Come on! you want your cake ---- How do you expect to get real ice in August! I think it's brilliant! Well done the organisers! Pity Argyle square fun day had to co-incide.

_Ju_
19-Aug-06, 20:45

What was the floor sorry for?

Naefearjustbeer
19-Aug-06, 21:10
It was sorry it wasnt (n)ice enough to keep the moaning Minnie's happy :lol:
Maybe if it had been Laminated instead of Lamented things would of been OK

robby50x
19-Aug-06, 22:12
did anyone of you see The Bride And Groom Stop Their Limousine, Wedding Gown And all Got On The Ice An d Were skatin About , igot a wee bit of film but cant find where you upload it to

candyfloss
19-Aug-06, 22:15
My little one had great fun at the ice skating today and is going back again tomorrow with her two big sisters.:D I thought it was pretty good value for money, be nice to have it again at christmas time :D

pultneytooner
19-Aug-06, 22:18
Oh no I must be turning into a GOG. The tunes were ok but they were distorting cause they were so loud. I am all for loud music I enjoy nothing better than a good band playing. But if the speakers and amps canna handle it it sounds crap no matter how good the tune.
Grumpy Old Git???:D

candyfloss
19-Aug-06, 22:23
did anyone of you see The Bride And Groom Stop Their Limousine, Wedding Gown And all Got On The Ice An d Were skatin About , igot a wee bit of film but cant find where you upload it to
Yes we saw them, not many brides & grooms who could say they went ice skating in Wick on their wedding day :D

Naefearjustbeer
19-Aug-06, 23:47

You can upload video clips to lots of different sites, google video youtube.com or putfile.com are 3 for a start.

Naefearjustbeer
19-Aug-06, 23:50
Grumpy Old Git???:D

Yup got it in one :lol:

Fran
19-Aug-06, 23:55
You can send your video to bill Fernie and it will be put on here. Go to tv.caithness.org

Naefearjustbeer
20-Aug-06, 00:12
The videos on here are all hosted on google videos. My videos that I put on google found there way onto this site without me having any contact about them. I presume sombody that updates this site regulary trawls the net for all things Caithness and decided to add them here. The nature of video clips means that unless they are extrememly short they could well be too large to attach on an email. If you want put your video onto google and let them know about it. or put Caithness in the title and they will find it by themselves

http://tv.caithness.org/index.php?video=21

is the same video as

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8321915132994923612

DrSzin
20-Aug-06, 01:56
Now I am sure it is the equivalent of a dry ski slope Vs real snow.It can't be that bad, surely? Dry ski slopes are much harder to ski on than the real thing.

My wife thought who has ice skated thought it was easyer for beginers as you had more time to react as it was slower than ice.I've never skated on plastic ice. Does anyone else think it's easier than real ice? I've tried the latter a few times and it was ok, but I wasn't very good at it.

Naefearjustbeer
20-Aug-06, 11:03
I was told by a ski instructor that a dry ski slope was harder because if you fall over it hurts more. However it was slower than snow so you had more time to react. He did recomend not going near one as snow is best. In this country though we dont have reliable enough weather to garantee snow so a dry slope is better than no slope at all. The same thing wick is too small to have a proper ice rink so a pastic rink for a visit is better than nothing at all.

canuck
20-Aug-06, 14:35
From reading the posts it sounds like it has been a great event. My passion is ice skating. So, I was intrigued by the thought of synthetic ice. Do they use things for curling rinks as well?

_Ju_
20-Aug-06, 15:53
Canuck, Canuck.... fun it was.....it also was 8 pieces of plastified laminate sprayed with some type of oil based spray to make it slippery, surrounded by a fenced barrier... 25mx25m in all at the most....probably smaller because I am not a good judge of length. Definately not apt for curling ! ;)

It was crowded when I went by a while ago and the kids looked like they were having a ball! Much better value than a fun fair, don't you think?

canuck
20-Aug-06, 16:27
It was crowded when I went by a while ago and the kids looked like they were having a ball! Much better value than a fun fair, don't you think?

Ice skating is always a great value. It would seem that synthetic ice skating is also a good value.

DrSzin
20-Aug-06, 17:13
I was told by a ski instructor that a dry ski slope was harder because if you fall over it hurts more. However it was slower than snow so you had more time to react. He did recomend not going near one as snow is best. In this country though we dont have reliable enough weather to garantee snow so a dry slope is better than no slope at all. The same thing wick is too small to have a proper ice rink so a pastic rink for a visit is better than nothing at all.Agreed - on all counts.

Dry ski slopes are a lot more painful when you fall. They're also less forgiving: it's a lot easier to ski on the real stuff - unless it's icy or slushy in which case you need to vary your technique, drastically in foot-deep slush. :eek:

The plastic ice-rink sounds good - well done to the organisers. :)

gleeber
20-Aug-06, 17:33
It's much more difficult to skate on than the real thing. The skates tend to go sideways because they dont dig in. I gave it 15 minutes but came off before my pride was dented. The kids were loving it though and were getting the hang of it no bother.

Woolie
20-Aug-06, 21:32
judging by the amount of poeple using the rink today i would say iy has been a great sucess and something different for the kids and teenagers to enjoy £3 for anhour plus skates pretty reasonable i woukd say .