PDA

View Full Version : Riverview Practice and Striking Patients off

secretsquirrel
22-Nov-10, 15:21
heard today that the Riverview Practice is striking people from there doctor's list if they miss 3 appointments in a year. There is nothing on the website that I can see. Is this true? and if it is what do you do for medical cover?

theone
22-Nov-10, 15:59
I think that's fair enough if true.

Once or twice is forgivable, but 3 times in a year? Can't people just phone to say they can't make it?

People booking appointments they don't use adds to the time the rest of us have to wait for one.

changilass
22-Nov-10, 16:42
Well done Riverview.

This is a good way to get the waiting lists down a bitty and stop wasting money on numpties that cannae be mithered to pick up a phone and use their manners to say they aint gonna make their appointments.

The dentists should do this too, its even worse there, considering they phone you the day afore to remind you.

EDDIE
22-Nov-10, 16:54
heard today that the Riverview Practice is striking people from there doctor's list if they miss 3 appointments in a year. There is nothing on the website that I can see. Is this true? and if it is what do you do for medical cover?

I disagree with that everyone has a right to medical care if the miss an appointment they should be billed for the time wasted then if they dont pay thenstrike them off
Striking some one off should always be the last option

Brodar
22-Nov-10, 17:35
Was in Riverbank in Thurso today and there is a notice up on the wall there to the same effect. 3 missed appointments without letting the staff know are you are going to have to find another surgery.
I think they are being fair. Many a time you phone up and cant get an appointment or you are sitting waiting to see the doctor and they shout someone name and they are not there. Someone else could have had that appointment.

cherokee
22-Nov-10, 17:48
Would this be debated if the "patient" is suffering from something like..
"Alzeheimers, Depression, schophrenia, (sp?) epilepsy .... (and possibly waiting for a diagnosis from a Doctor)
or some other such debilating trouble; whereas they cannot account for not attending an appointment ?? :roll:

If the case were - "3 shots and you're OUT".........

Then I can only say two words............. UTTERLY DISGUSTING !!!!!!

Stack Rock
22-Nov-10, 18:06
Would this be debated if the "patient" is suffering from something like..
"Alzeheimers, Depression, schophrenia, (sp?) epilepsy .... (and possibly waiting for a diagnosis from a Doctor)
or some other such debilating trouble; whereas they cannot account for not attending an appointment ?? :roll:

If the case were - "3 shots and you're OUT".........

Then I can only say two words............. UTTERLY DISGUSTING !!!!!!

I would hope that those patients would not living alone or at least have a family member etc keeping an eye on them therefore they would monitor their appointments & medication. I'm sure allowances are made for vulnerable patients.

Gronnuck
22-Nov-10, 18:26
Riverview practice have obviously had problems with people abusing the appointments system. I'm sure that if a patient has issues such as those described by cherokee that will be taken into account. But the rest of the patients who fail to turn up are THIEVES. They are STEALING the medical staff's time and STEALING other patients opportunites to see a Doctor or receive treatment, [disgust].

Julia
22-Nov-10, 19:36
While waiting to see the doc today two names in succession were called out of folk that hadn't turned up!

DMFB
23-Nov-10, 10:06
It is sometimes very difficult to get to see the doctor.

scorrie
23-Nov-10, 21:36
I missed three appointments and was a bit worried that I would be off the list. However, when I phoned for another appointment, I got one the very same day. Surprised at my good fortune, I made sure I got there in plenty of time. Bang on the dot the receptionist told me:-

"Dr Shipman will see you now Sir!!" ;)

northener
23-Nov-10, 21:39
I missed three appointments and was a bit worried that I would be off the list. However, when I phoned for another appointment, I got one the very same day. Surprised at my good fortune, I made sure I got there in plenty of time. Bang on the dot the receptionist told me:-

"Dr Shipman will see you now Sir!!" ;)

Yup, this thread needed some humour injecting into it.......

Hat, coat.......

ducati
23-Nov-10, 22:32
I'm getting a humour injection later this week-for tennis elbow.

at least I think that was what they said

door err... coat coat

celtic lass
23-Nov-10, 23:54
i think this is wrong because of my own experience.The reason,i had an appointment booked for docs on monday the 23rd of august this year ,i had a brain hemorage on sunday the 22nd of august and was airlifted to edinburgh .I spent 9 days in edinburgh and then another 2wks in caithness general ,when i returned home there was a letter from riverview practice dated 27th august saying how i wasted an appointment and another patient could have had that appointment ,etc etc .Not a nice letter ,my medical records was pulled on the sunday evening when i took ill and it clearly showed it on the medical computer if they had bothered to look .I was ill thats why i didnt attend.Make people pay for appointments whether they turn up or not ,only people that shouldnt pay are O A Ps and for one that would stop the fakers cause theres plenty of them out there and a fee also for sick/fit notes to and there would be less people on the sick and more people working RANT OVER for at least a while

Hobbit
24-Nov-10, 00:35
Yup, this thread needed some humour injecting into it.......

Hat, coat.......

Northerner, it's definitely coat before hat because you could knock the hat off putting on the coat.
My ultimate favourite though is, 'Here's your coat, what's your hurry???'

Gronnuck
24-Nov-10, 00:48
i think this is wrong because of my own experience.The reason,i had an appointment booked for docs on monday the 23rd of august this year ,i had a brain hemorage on sunday the 22nd of august and was airlifted to edinburgh .I spent 9 days in edinburgh and then another 2wks in caithness general ,when i returned home there was a letter from riverview practice dated 27th august saying how i wasted an appointment and another patient could have had that appointment ,etc etc .Not a nice letter ,my medical records was pulled on the sunday evening when i took ill and it clearly showed it on the medical computer if they had bothered to look .I was ill thats why i didnt attend.Make people pay for appointments whether they turn up or not ,only people that shouldnt pay are O A Ps and for one that would stop the fakers cause theres plenty of them out there and a fee also for sick/fit notes to and there would be less people on the sick and more people working RANT OVER for at least a while

celtic lass I hope you have made a full recovery. You have my sympathy. I'm sure if you pointed out your circumstances they will realise they have made an 'error of judgement' - a mistake - and reinstate you on their list. If not; you can always appeal.

Time to remind the practice manager that, "Rules are for the adherance of fools and the guidance of wide men, (or women)". ;)

Vistravi
24-Nov-10, 00:49
Well done Riverview.

This is a good way to get the waiting lists down a bitty and stop wasting money on numpties that cannae be mithered to pick up a phone and use their manners to say they aint gonna make their appointments.

The dentists should do this too, its even worse there, considering they phone you the day afore to remind you.

Aye the dentist does this already. I forgot about an appointment that i had when we were away. i had forgotten to cancel and reschedule before we left. Got a letter telling me i had missed it and that i had 2 more i'd be struck of. Fair deal i think. Like someone else has said. If i had remembered to cancel anytime before my appointment someone else could have had it.
Anyone who gets struck of from dentist or doctor surgery just need to find another. not so easy for dentist but easy enough for doctors.

sweetpea
24-Nov-10, 01:28
Seeing a doctor is going the same way as dentists and I wonder who is it that's missing apppointments and making it hard for us that do go?

Aaldtimer
24-Nov-10, 04:07

Well that's a real rant CL, but presumably you had missed 2 appointments previous to that, yes?
Attending them might have prevented your brain haemorrage maybe.
As for making people pay for appointments, well that's what the NHS was set up to avoid.
Equal treatment for all who need it regardless of social status.:confused

Aaldtimer
24-Nov-10, 04:10
Seeing a doctor is going the same way as dentists and I wonder who is it that's missing apppointments and making it hard for us that do go?

Erm, what the heck are you on about?
Why should anyone missing appointments make it hard for them who attend their's?:confused

teddybear1873
24-Nov-10, 04:21
So what happens if you miss your 3 appointments cause your too ill to go? :D

Metalattakk
24-Nov-10, 04:25
As long as you're not too ill to 'phone and cancel beforehand you'll be fine.

And if you're too ill to 'phone, they will make exceptions, I'm sure. ;)

teddybear1873
24-Nov-10, 04:33
As long as you're not too ill to 'phone and cancel beforehand you'll be fine.

And if you're too ill to 'phone, they will make exceptions, I'm sure. ;)

Is there an exception for a migrane in my toe lol?

sandyr1
24-Nov-10, 05:06
Erm, what the heck are you on about?
Why should anyone missing appointments make it hard for them who attend their's?:confused

I have to answer that one....because if you are booked for an appointment, then another person does not get that appointment! And it is then left vacant!

I have to say that I was quite impressed with the NHS Service. On one of my many visits I went made an apt with the Dr in Thurso. 1 hour later I was in his surgery and was treated/ actually a refill of a presc.
Excellent Service.
In many other places, including where I am, if you miss an appointment you are charged for it. And Doctors will decide not to see you if you do not comply with their advice.
You are all very fortunate to have such a good system!

I am sure in the situation where one is too ill to attend, someone can make a call to cancel. Seems to be common respect for the system/ we don't train Doctors to sit idle when there are other patients to see.
The UK seems to be renowned for the Medical System, but if it is abused then people will lose it, especially in times of constraint.

Aaldtimer
24-Nov-10, 05:25
[quote=sandyr1;789649]I have to answer that one....because if you are booked for an appointment, then another person does not get that appointment! And it is then left vacant!

/quote]

The point I'm making Sandy, is that people who do not attend their appointments have no effect on people who do!
It's not rocket science!:roll:

Kevin Milkins
24-Nov-10, 05:33
I am the worlds worse when it comes to remembering appointments and have to go to extraordinary lengths to remember them, IE email reminders, alarm on phone , calenders, etc.:confused

I think the NHS in Caithness is the best run service of its kind that I have experienced anywhere in the country and if three strikes and your out is what it takes to keep that standard up, then I would fully support this ruling.

I think it would go without saying that the decision to remove a patient from the list would be made on merit and each case would be based on the circumstances of why someone would consistently miss appointments.

If you booked in a tradesman to come and fit you a new kitchen or carpet, what is the chance of anyone forgetting?

brandy
24-Nov-10, 09:18
now here is a question.. if you are barred from the practice where will you go for medical care? as there is only one practice?
its not really like you have a choice of where to go.
would it then be a case of going to the A&E everytime you need medical help?
it does kinda take away the point of the hypocratical oath.
i know that its a ahrd situation, but at the same time isnt everyone entitled to medical care?

Tellyaddict
24-Nov-10, 09:29
There are 2 medical practices in Wick, Riverview and Dr Pearson. I am sure you will find that it is mostly persistant offenders that fail to turn up for appointments that are to blame for clogging up the appointments and making it more difficult for everyone else to get an appointment with their GP. Also I am sure there are occasions that letters are sent out and there is a geniune reason that the patient has failed to attend but that will be taken into consideration and as I know from previous experience Celtic Lass if you attend the hospital and are admitted it can take several days for the information to filter back to your practice and maybe this is why you received a letter - they simply didn't know you were in hospital.

_Ju_
24-Nov-10, 10:35
now here is a question.. if you are barred from the practice where will you go for medical care? as there is only one practice?
its not really like you have a choice of where to go.

There is another practice right nextdoor on the same counter: Dr Pearson.
Even if you were barred, you could not be denied necessary medical care. It would be unethical.

oops: should have read the thread to the end. Other have pointed out other practices already.

celtic lass
24-Nov-10, 11:30
Well that's a real rant CL, but presumably you had missed 2 appointments previous to that, yes?
Attending them might have prevented your brain haemorrage maybe.
As for making people pay for appointments, well that's what the NHS was set up to avoid.
Equal treatment for all who need it regardless of social status.:confused
no that appointment was the first i had ever missed .i dont believe in wasting peoples time.Time waster im not

scorrie
24-Nov-10, 12:31
[quote=sandyr1;789649]I have to answer that one....because if you are booked for an appointment, then another person does not get that appointment! And it is then left vacant!

/quote]

The point I'm making Sandy, is that people who do not attend their appointments have no effect on people who do!

Nonsense. People who make appointments and then don't attend are using up slots that other people could have had. This means that someone will have to wait an additional day before accessing a GP in some cases.

I suggest you start with a squib in a bottle before venturing into rocket science. (Insert, eye rolling/disgust/gee whiz how thick can you be, icon here) ;)

northener
24-Nov-10, 13:53

But it does free the slot up for someone else who may be trying to get an appointment at short notice.

Riverview are good at organising this when they can. I've been told there's no appointments available on a certain day only to have them phone me back later and tell me that they've got a cancellation come up.

Works well.

No shows spoil the system for everyone else, if they can't be arsed to turn up, then it's just tough if they're ill later and get refused because of their previous record.

Kevin Milkins
24-Nov-10, 14:32
I am the worlds worse when it comes to remembering appointments and have to go to extraordinary lengths to remember them, IE email reminders, alarm on phone , calenders, etc.:confused

It's a good job that I did set my alarm on my phone,:eek: it just went off to remind me I have a flu jab at 1-45 pm. I would have forgot.:Razz

Fran
25-Nov-10, 00:20
/////Excellent post, well said, I agree with this//

sandyr1
25-Nov-10, 01:09
/////Excellent post, well said, I agree with this//

I agree with this, especially for a Hospital Visit. Ours are over visited, with people lined up for hours. They should use urgent care services/offices.

Aaldtimer
25-Nov-10, 03:59
[quote=Aaldtimer;789650]

Nonsense. People who make appointments and then don't attend are using up slots that other people could have had. This means that someone will have to wait an additional day before accessing a GP in some cases.

I suggest you start with a squib in a bottle before venturing into rocket science. (Insert, eye rolling/disgust/gee whiz how thick can you be, icon here) ;)

Scorrie, I suggest that you start a course in understanding the English language!

As for a squib in a bottle...weel that would only have one result...:eek:

northener
25-Nov-10, 08:00

OK, an administrative error took place. but do you seriously think you would be struck off once the mistake was realised?

Your 'pay' scheme has merit. But what about those who genuinely cannot afford the appointment fee (and are not part of some welfare based support scheme)?
There's a whole swathe of people out there who are not entitled to any welfare benefits or support from the Government and who would struggle to pay any fee. You could easily end up in a situation where the health of those on a low income would suffer because they couldn't afford to see their GP. And bear in mind that the health of those on low incomes would appear to be worse than those who are relatively well off.

No, if people have a genuine checkable excuse for NTU, then faid do's. But I would suspect the vast majority just couldn't be arsed to pick the phone up.

_Ju_
25-Nov-10, 11:35
Scorrie, I suggest that you start a course in understanding the English language!

I doubt very much that anyone else misunderstood what Scorrie was saying, so perhaps you are the one that should be applying to attend courses?

pat
25-Nov-10, 12:28
Where I live there are 2 practices, luckily the one I am registered with you can get an appointment within 2 weeks, if urgent you can get one that day. Other practice, next door neighbour is registered with them - appointments are often at least a month ahead with practically no ability to make urgent appointments.
Last time I was in my surgery there were 5 names called by various doctors, nobody moved to attend, it was not bad weather.
Last time I was at the nurse, I was the only one from 7 appointments to attend.
Would agree with the three strike - as long as after each non-attendance a letter was sent advising of situation, admittedly this will greatly increase the costs and time to the practice but also sure it will increase attendance at appointments. Think the Doctors in the practice should also assess the age/mental capability of person breaking appointment before striking names off willie-nillie.
As said before if it was a tradesman you had called you would be billed.

Better Out Than In
25-Nov-10, 13:58
I can solve all this. Just post your illness to .org forum and we can all have a go at advising you on how to get better. That way there will be far fewer going to surgery anyway. Beside most of you are just psychosomatic.

celtic lass
25-Nov-10, 15:25
I can solve all this. Just post your illness to .org forum and we can all have a go at advising you on how to get better. That way there will be far fewer going to surgery anyway. Beside most of you are just psychosomatic.A good point lol

scorrie
25-Nov-10, 15:32
[quote=scorrie;789724]

As for a squib in a bottle...weel that would only have one result...:eek:

I passed my Higher English exam. You are on your own with regards to understanding what YOU have been trying to say on this subject. To make it really easy to understand what I am saying, here is a simple example:-

A GP has twenty appointment slots, twenty four people want to make an appointment. The twenty slots are filled, leaving four people who have to wait till the next day. Out of the twenty slots booked, four people don't show up and never called to let their slot be allocated to one of those having to wait until the next day. Wasted GP time and four people could have been seen earlier.

Now, with your GREAT English skills and any other logic you can draw on, please explain how the no-shows are NOT having an affect on the efficiency with which those who DO attend can be dealt with?

This was your comment:-

"people who do not attend their appointments have no effect on people who do!"

Aaldtimer
26-Nov-10, 04:23
Scorrie, I'll make it simple for you:-

People who turn up for their appointments do so.

People who don't turn up for their appointments affect others who may want appointments.

Ergo, people who don't turn up for their appointments, do not affect people who do! Simples.:)

scorrie
26-Nov-10, 15:26
Scorrie, I'll make it simple for you:-

People who turn up for their appointments do so.

People who don't turn up for their appointments affect others who may want appointments.

Ergo, people who don't turn up for their appointments, do not affect people who do! Simples.:)

I'll TRY to make it simple for YOU.

A person turns up for their appointment on Friday 26th November. If it hadn't been for the person who booked an appointment the previous day and didn't attend, the original person could have been seen on Thursday the 25th November.

What you are failing to grasp is that there are two parts to the equation:-

Part one:-

A person cannot fail to attend an appointment unless they have first made an appointment. I think you will agree that this is utterly beyond dispute.

Part two:-

By then not attending the appointment, the person completes the second part of the process of failing to attend an appointment.

Now, part two does not directly affect the appointments of other people but part one definitely does, as it pushes other people further down the schedule. Since we have established that there can be NO part two without part one, then it is proven that other people are affected by non attendees. If the person makes an appointment AND attends it, then there was never a potential open slot and the matter becomes null and void.

I am sure you can ask a Doctor for their opinion on the matter. Perhaps on other matters as well ;)

mrlennie
26-Nov-10, 15:37
And I'll rephrase it for people who don't make appointments but DO turn up for them.

Part A: Appointment is made for person B with problem X but doesn't actually know about the appointment. He doesn't know about problem X either.

Part 2: Person B still doesn't know about problem X and doesn't know about appointment but goes to the doctors anyway. He finds he has been scheduled for an appointment (part A) and coincidentally he is in the doctors.

Part C: While in the doctors (part B) waiting for appointment (part A) to discover he has problem X he notices that sat across the waiting room is his ex. Now he has got a problem.

Part D: The doctor (part B) calls for the patients appointment (part A) to do with his problem X. Not his ex. He attends the appointment (Part A) and finds out about problem X. He then leaves the doctors with with 2 more problems than he came in with.

Can anyone guess what problem X is?

scorrie
26-Nov-10, 18:07
And I'll rephrase it for people who don't make appointments but DO turn up for them.

Part A: Appointment is made for person B with problem X but doesn't actually know about the appointment. He doesn't know about problem X either.

Part 2: Person B still doesn't know about problem X and doesn't know about appointment but goes to the doctors anyway. He finds he has been scheduled for an appointment (part A) and coincidentally he is in the doctors.

Part C: While in the doctors (part B) waiting for appointment (part A) to discover he has problem X he notices that sat across the waiting room is his ex. Now he has got a problem.

Part D: The doctor (part B) calls for the patients appointment (part A) to do with his problem X. Not his ex. He attends the appointment (Part A) and finds out about problem X. He then leaves the doctors with with 2 more problems than he came in with.

Can anyone guess what problem X is?

Sorry, but your theory fell down when you went from Part A to Part 2 and then to Part C. Best keep to numbers for Parts, Capital Letters for People and lower case letters for problems. ;)

mrlennie
26-Nov-10, 18:22
It was part of the anecdote :( Anyway you're just pulling at the question because you don't know the answer :lol:;)

Aaldtimer
27-Nov-10, 04:18
I'll TRY to make it simple for YOU.

A person turns up for their appointment on Friday 26th November. If it hadn't been for the person who booked an appointment the previous day and didn't attend, the original person could have been seen on Thursday the 25th November.

What you are failing to grasp is that there are two parts to the equation:-

Part one:-

A person cannot fail to attend an appointment unless they have first made an appointment. I think you will agree that this is utterly beyond dispute.

Part two:-

By then not attending the appointment, the person completes the second part of the process of failing to attend an appointment.

Now, part two does not directly affect the appointments of other people but part one definitely does, as it pushes other people further down the schedule. Since we have established that there can be NO part two without part one, then it is proven that other people are affected by non attendees. If the person makes an appointment AND attends it, then there was never a potential open slot and the matter becomes null and void.

I am sure you can ask a Doctor for their opinion on the matter. Perhaps on other matters as well ;)

What you are failing to grasp is that I'm talking about reality, not theory.
I don't disagree with your analysis.
It's what happens in reality that counts.
The person who doesn't turn up, for whatever reason, has no effect on the people who do turn up.
The system is there...if it fails, it still has no effect on the people who work with it.
I'm outa here!:confused

scorrie
27-Nov-10, 18:05
I'm outa here!

Your common sense, like Elvis, left the building some time ago!!

scotsboy
27-Nov-10, 18:10
Your common sense, like Elvis, left the building some time ago!!

But he is correct;)

scorrie
28-Nov-10, 01:22
But he is correct;)

In his own mind yes, no doubt about that at all.

However, by stating that he does not disagree with my analysis, we can deduce that he DOES agree with my analysis. If we extrapolate from there we find out that, in real life, people ARE making appointments AND sometimes are failing to attend those appointments. We can now say with confidence that any RATIONAL person will accept that what was accepted as a sound theory has now been demonstrated to be happening in reality. However, some people have watched Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and will have seen the part where it is proven that black is white and that God doesn't exist, whereupon God disappears in a puff of smoke.

You can take a horse to water but you can't make him think it. ;)

scotsboy
28-Nov-10, 07:10
In his own mind yes, no doubt about that at all.

However, by stating that he does not disagree with my analysis, we can deduce that he DOES agree with my analysis. If we extrapolate from there we find out that, in real life, people ARE making appointments AND sometimes are failing to attend those appointments. We can now say with confidence that any RATIONAL person will accept that what was accepted as a sound theory has now been demonstrated to be happening in reality. However, some people have watched Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and will have seen the part where it is proven that black is white and that God doesn't exist, whereupon God disappears in a puff of smoke.

You can take a horse to water but you can't make him think it. ;)

Aye, but he is correct;)