PDA

View Full Version : Dentist registration

Tatbabe
22-Nov-10, 11:04
Recently moved up here and wanted to register with the NHS dentist in Wick because I need new partial dentures.

Couldn't believe that when I called NHS Highland dental helpline they told me that they would fast-track my registration but it would still take a few months for that to happen!

I'm lost for words ... what a pathetic system!

stekar
22-Nov-10, 11:22
Why are you being fast tracked? I've been waiting for 5 years now, and never going to get to the top of the list.

You're lost for words....so am I

changilass
22-Nov-10, 11:22
Think yourself lucky you are being fast tracked and will only have to wait a few months, hubby has been on the list since they opened and is no nearer to seeing anyone.

Scarybiscuits03
22-Nov-10, 11:43
Recently moved up here and wanted to register with the NHS dentist in Wick because I need new partial dentures.

Couldn't believe that when I called NHS Highland dental helpline they told me that they would fast-track my registration but it would still take a few months for that to happen!

I'm lost for words ... what a pathetic system!

I've been on the list for more than 5 years - since the Thurso NHS dental practice closed. Have major probs with wisdom teeth and still cannot get an NHS dentist - have had to go private because I couldn't eat!
Dont see why you should get fasttracked when we've been waiting so long?

wkgeorge
22-Nov-10, 11:58
Totally agree with all above comments I also have been on NHS list for ages and still not near top I too need dentures but have no alternative but to go private.

Beat Bug
22-Nov-10, 12:20
After being on the NHS waiting list for 3 years, I phoned the helpline to see how close I was to the top. There were nearly 6,500 people still ahead of me! Saw a notice in my doctor's surgery, and registered with the students in Raigmore. Didn't have to wait more than a few months, and had excellent treatment. Best of all, there was no charge, even for my new crown! When all was done, I was taken on with the regular dentists there. Hubby is now doing the same.

Corrie 3
22-Nov-10, 13:34
I am lost for words, why should someone come into the County and get fast tracked? The waiting list is over 6500 long and a wait of 5-6 years is on the cards for all of us, I am furious that an incomer should come in and only have to wait a few months....Angry is not the word, disgusting is something nearer!!!

C3....:mad::mad:

onecalledk
22-Nov-10, 13:46
I am lost for words, why should someone come into the County and get fast tracked? The waiting list is over 6500 long and a wait of 5-6 years is on the cards for all of us, I am furious that an incomer should come in and only have to wait a few months....Angry is not the word, disgusting is something nearer!!!

hmm cos local dentists are for local people ???????

your response to this denies belief ! there are people who travel much further to get dental treatment so this goes both ways. I know of people who travel to the central belt to reach dentists cos the wait is so long up here, do you think that people in Glasgow give the reaction you posted or should all the dentists in glasgow or Inverness ONLY be allowed to treat LOCAL people ......

perhaps the person moved to the county from within Highland ? I have been on the waiting list for about 6 yrs, got to the top but had moved house, so note to anyone who moves house make sure you change your contact details cos yep you back down to the bottom! so I have another 5 yr plus wait ......

Its NHS HIGHLAND , not NHS Caithness I believe .....

K

kel24
22-Nov-10, 13:54
I completely agree with everyone else on this matter, i have also been on the waiting list since the NHS surgery closed in Thurso, i really don't understand why you are complaining about this at all! You should definitely think yourself lucky as most of us have a long wait ahead to get to the top of the list!!

Corrie 3
22-Nov-10, 13:57
K,
If the people of Glasgow or anywhere else had been waiting for 5 years for a dentist and I went down and got fast tracked I can just imagine the uproar that would cause...nobody like a queue jumper.

C3...:(

teddybear1873
22-Nov-10, 14:04
Does anyone have dental insurance? If so, how much is it per month and what kind of package do you have?

Just curious as we have dental insurance over in the US and it's pure and utter crap.

lindsaymcc
22-Nov-10, 14:05
I havent even tried to get a dentist since moving here in April.

When my daughter started nursery however, she was given an appointment with the dentist within 2 weeks of being here. They managed to fix a discoloured/broken tooth (she chipped it at 18mnths old and old dentist refused to do anything as a baby tooth) within 2 months.

When my elder daughter complained of toothache, I phoned up the Highland Dentist phone number as was given an appointment the same day for her to be seen - filling done and on our way.

The service I have recieved from the dentists is brilliant, but I do agree there is a huge problem in Caithness for dentists. I guess I will just carry on as I am and get emergency treatment as and when needed.

Liz
22-Nov-10, 14:06
I'm afraid as someone who has been on the NHS waiting list for over 5 years I am also annoyed that someone should be 'fast tracked'! However, if it just to get dentures which are needed then I understand but not if the person is then kept on for treatment.

I also know of people who have gone there for emergency treatment only to be kept on as patients which isn't fair to those of us still on the list.:(

I had to go private and very happy with the treatment but not so happy with the cost!

ArcaneWilbur
22-Nov-10, 14:10
I have also been on the waiting list for the nhs but instead I have joined the student dentist in Inverness the treatment is free!! all you pay for is travel but they are very understanding about how far you have to travel! And the money i save on treatment is good as I have had one set of dentures and I am getting new ones on the 16th can highly recommend them!:D

Liz
22-Nov-10, 14:13
I have also been on the waiting list for the nhs but instead I have joined the student dentist in Inverness the treatment is free!! all you pay for is travel but they are very understanding about how far you have to travel! And the money i save on treatment is good as I have had one set of dentures and I am getting new ones on the 16th can highly recommend them!:D

Really glad you've found a solution and are getting such good treatment.:D
However,like myself, not everyone can travel this far due to health problems.

WICKER10
22-Nov-10, 14:13
If you need False teeth NHS Highland will Fasttrack you i had to wait Five weeks and Husband waited seven weeks.
Now both on a dentists list at Lochshell so just have to travel down from Thurso for any work to be done.
First class service at lochshell

ArcaneWilbur
22-Nov-10, 15:49
I know my brother is with lochshell and he got a letter saying he needed his 6 monthly checkup when he phoned they said they only had 2 dentists and were only doing emergency apps only so if there was he wasn't having problems then he would have to wait.

wicker8
22-Nov-10, 15:56
first class treatment at theback bridge street in wick ,brilliant friendly staff more than helpful the receptionist is just so nice :Razz

changilass
22-Nov-10, 17:09
The criteria for being fast tracked is based on needs, not on who you are or how long you have lived here, if someone has been fastracked there is a reason, no point having a go at the op.

If you get fast tracked you are lucky, but you probably have the t-shirt with regard to pain to get there.

Tatbabe
22-Nov-10, 17:35
I don't quite understand why I get negative comments.
I didn't ask to be fast-tracked - they said they would do it to get my dentures sorted which I very much appreciate.

I lived in Edinburgh before where you register with a dentist, get an appointment for the dentist to check your teeth and decide if any treatment is needed and if so provide the treatment. If you need a denture repair they can arrange that - not as an urgent matter, but you'll get new ones usually within a month max.

However, if one has to get on a waiting list for registration and the recommended general checks twice a year to keep teeth in good health, then your teeth will get worse and it'll get more expensive for both, patient and NHS.

Seems people up here - and I'm not talking about myself - don't get the service they should get and it will probably get worse due to further cuts.

Corrie 3
22-Nov-10, 18:24
The negative comments from me was because you were complaining about having to wait a couple of months when most of us here have had to, or are waiting for 5 years or more......

Welcome to the Highlands of Scotland, the place where humans get forgotten...;)

C3...:roll:

_Ju_
22-Nov-10, 20:06

Because maybe (just maybe) they evaluated the situation of this person and deemed urgent enough to fast track? Would you expect your broken thumb be seen to in a hospital before a broken leg because you got to the emergency room first?

Garnet
22-Nov-10, 20:41
On being chucked off that 'lovely' dentist round the back-so to speak- for not 'bothering' him for over a year (thought others in more need...silly me) and who also swore he'd NEVER go 'private', I then contacted Inverness where the service for here was still in the planning stage..Lochshell hadn't been built, yet!! Anyway I like several other were put on the (start of) waiting list..patience then...L/shell was built, up and running but no sign of any appointment etc, so I phoned Inverness who denied all knowledge of me existing (wish I could say same for Taxman) but I'm now on the list, well the waiting list for the waiting list... that was at least 8/9 years ago and I do not lie. However if you have a real toothache that you can't sleep because of you may get an emergency appointment quickly, but back to the w/list....I could have no teeth left at this rate or worse...dead!! Real problems will be dealt with urgently and ajrossa may have come under this heading...however I would be intereste if she/he is then allocated a dentist. :confused

Liz
22-Nov-10, 20:51
[quote=Garnet;Real problems will be dealt with urgently and ajrossa may have come under this heading...however I would be intereste if she/he is then allocated a dentist. :confused[/quote]

That's what I was wondering as well. I have no objections at all to Ajrossa getting taken quicker to get dentures but it wouldn't be fair to be kept on as a patient when there are people who've been on the NHS waiting list for years!:confused

Tatbabe
22-Nov-10, 20:51
The negative comments from me was because you were complaining about having to wait a couple of months when most of us here have had to, or are waiting for 5 years or more......

Welcome to the Highlands of Scotland, the place where humans get forgotten...;)

C3...:roll:

As I said, am new to the area and wasn't aware that NHS was treating people here so differently from the rest of the country

Red
22-Nov-10, 21:47
I was with the private dentist in Thurso (Bridgend) as we couldn't get a NHS dentist when we first moved up to Caithness. That dentist recently closed so I rang NHS Highland and they said that there was a dentist taking on new NHS patients, but they are in Inverness (sorry I forget what it was called).

I registered with Bridge Street in Wick, got an initial check up within the week and was very surprised at the cost, nowhere near as high as the private dental insurance prices I was being charged in Thurso and the new dentist is lovely, he was really kind and explained everything that he was doing throughout the check up. Can't recommend them highly enough.

bekisman
22-Nov-10, 22:37
Just got back from Inverness (me an MRI in Raigmore), but Mrs Beks stopped off at ADC Golspie Practice and had an extraction - NHS of course.. whilst I sat and had a short wait, noticed a chap filling in his application, the receptionist asked for his post code; it was Thurso..

A few minutes later a woman asked if she could have an application for her partner who lived in Dunbeath.. Seems there are still vacancies for NHS there.. just Google ADC Golspie Practice..

Fair enough, we have 60 miles to go, but it would be 44 to Wick anyway, so we fit any treatment into a day out or trip to Inverness.. Prior to this we were on the list for years..

theone
22-Nov-10, 23:03
Does anyone have dental insurance? If so, how much is it per month and what kind of package do you have?

Just curious as we have dental insurance over in the US and it's pure and utter crap.

I don't know anyone with dental insurance exactly, but I've got a work based scheme where anything I get done gets reimbursed up to £250 per year.

That easily covers the £20 standing charge, £25 check up and 2x£25 hygenist appointments I get each year in Wick.

Blarney
22-Nov-10, 23:33
On being chucked off that 'lovely' dentist round the back-so to speak- for not 'bothering' him for over a year (thought others in more need...silly me) and who also swore he'd NEVER go 'private', I then contacted Inverness where the service for here was still in the planning stage..Lochshell hadn't been built, yet!! Anyway I like several other were put on the (start of) waiting list..patience then...L/shell was built, up and running but no sign of any appointment etc, so I phoned Inverness who denied all knowledge of me existing (wish I could say same for Taxman) but I'm now on the list, well the waiting list for the waiting list... that was at least 8/9 years ago and I do not lie. However if you have a real toothache that you can't sleep because of you may get an emergency appointment quickly, but back to the w/list....I could have no teeth left at this rate or worse...dead!! Real problems will be dealt with urgently and ajrossa may have come under this heading...however I would be intereste if she/he is then allocated a dentist. :confused

Exactly the same happened to me. I registered then called a couple of years later to check where I was on the list and they denied that I ever existed. I had to go from square one again and was livid at the flippant attitude of the woman I spoke to. She didn't give a hoot.

As I said, am new to the area and wasn't aware that NHS was treating people here so differently from the rest of the country
I'm sure that people aren't blaming you for fast-tracking but I'm sure you'll agree it's grossly unfair that people with dentures get preferential treatment. After all rotting teeth are more painful and harmful to health than an ill fitting denture. I've looked after my own teeth for years and paid thousands of pounds towards their care on top of NH contributions but now that I need dental care the system has failed me.

Tatbabe
22-Nov-10, 23:43
... I'm sure that people aren't blaming you for fast-tracking but I'm sure you'll agree it's grossly unfair that people with dentures get preferential treatment. After all rotting teeth are more painful and harmful to health than an ill fitting denture. I've looked after my own teeth for years and paid thousands of pounds towards their care on top of NH contributions but now that I need dental care the system has failed me.

I agree that rotting teeth are more painful and harmful and never said that my dentures are more important.

If people cannot get their regular checks and necessary treatment, how can they have / maintain healthy teeth if they have to wait a decade for an appointment?
And when we get NHS statistics about patients in the North of the country having worse teeth than the average they deny they're to blame.

Liz
22-Nov-10, 23:50
I agree that rotting teeth are more painful and harmful and never said that my dentures are more important.

If people cannot get their regular checks and necessary treatment, how can they have / maintain healthy teeth if they have to wait a decade for an appointment?
And when we get NHS statistics about patients in the North of the country having worse teeth than the average they deny they're to blame.

No one is getting at you arjrossa but the system which, as you rightly say, is awful!

I have to say I am delighted with my private dentist Mrs Frame but the cost is a bit of a worry especially if I need more expensive work done in the future.:confused

Garnet
23-Nov-10, 01:07
Red, I have to ask how come you got registered in Bridge St when I and countless others were unceremoniously chucked off for no reason as none given.....does that mean you're also 'private' there, or NHS. I'm not being critical of you just curious. G :confused.

Aaldtimer
23-Nov-10, 03:42
I don't know anyone with dental insurance exactly, but I've got a work based scheme where anything I get done gets reimbursed up to £250 per year.

That easily covers the £20 standing charge, £25 check up and 2x£25 hygenist appointments I get each year in Wick.

You miss the point actually. Why should people who have paid a lifetimes contribution to NHS have to stump up for private dental care?[disgust]

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Nov-10, 07:59

Incomers. Brilliant. Just when you thought some of us had moved into the 21st century, a redneck pops up to bring us back to the future. Incidentally, Corrie, did you get your pitchfork out, line up the dogs, and chase said incomer out of the county?

Corrie 3
23-Nov-10, 10:03
Incomers. Brilliant. Just when you thought some of us had moved into the 21st century, a redneck pops up to bring us back to the future. Incidentally, Corrie, did you get your pitchfork out, line up the dogs, and chase said incomer out of the county?
Of course I did.....after robbing them blind first of course !!!!

What would you like me to call people who come into the County to live....Immigrants?
Incomers is a word that has always been used and always will, its not derogatory at all except to those who want to take offence to it!!

C3....:roll:

bekisman
23-Nov-10, 10:12
Of course I did.....after robbing them blind first of course !!!!

What would you like me to call people who come into the County to live....Immigrants?
Incomers is a word that has always been used and always will, its not derogatory at all except to those who want to take offence to it!!

C3....:roll:

Incomer? I'm an incomer, don't give a toss for what I'm called, but got jarred off waiting for the NHS to contact us when a NHS Dentist vacancy became available.. So rang around, managed to get on the Keep Dental Practice in Inverness.. fair enough fair way to go, but kept ringing and now we're with the one in Golspie.. sod the system, get ringing...

theone
23-Nov-10, 11:33
You miss the point actually. Why should people who have paid a lifetimes contribution to NHS have to stump up for private dental care?[disgust]

No, I get the point.

I agree we SHOULD have NHS cover, but we don't.

Until the time that we do, or whilst on a 5 year waiting list, I'd rather pay less that £100 per year out of my own pocket to ensure the health of my teeth. It's about half what I pay for broadband.

Liz
23-Nov-10, 14:08
No, I get the point.

Until the time that we do, or whilst on a 5 year waiting list, I'd rather pay less that £100 per year out of my own pocket to ensure the health of my teeth. It's about half what I pay for broadband.

I agree with you and think it's money well spent.:D What insurance plan are you on and what does it cover please?

orkneycadian
23-Nov-10, 14:16
No, I get the point.

How much rebate do people who cover their own dental costs (via insurance or otherwise), get on their National Insurance contributions?

Liz
23-Nov-10, 14:29
How much rebate do people who cover their own dental costs (via insurance or otherwise), get on their National Insurance contributions?

Very good point! The answer is zilch although it doesn't seem fair that those of us who have been 'forced' to pay for dental care should pay the same National Insurance as those who are getting this on the NHS.

Red
23-Nov-10, 17:59
Red, I have to ask how come you got registered in Bridge St when I and countless others were unceremoniously chucked off for no reason as none given.....does that mean you're also 'private' there, or NHS. I'm not being critical of you just curious. G :confused.

I'm a private client, I wasn't aware they were also NHS. They have a new dentist who has only just started.

I do know that if you do not visit any dentist for over 18 months you are removed from the list. The theory being that if you don't visit them even for a check-up you obviously don't care enough about your teeth and they would sooner give the place to someone who does. (Not getting at you personally, I'm quoting a dentist in my family!) ;)

theone
23-Nov-10, 18:10
I agree with you and think it's money well spent.:D What insurance plan are you on and what does it cover please?

I think it's called denplan. Not sure of the ins and outs at the moment but I claim back my checkups and hygienist costs twice a year. Never needed any treatment.

spaceddaisy
23-Nov-10, 19:14
I'm fairly new to the area (been up just over a year). I haven't even attempted to put myself on the waiting list up here, I registered in Golspie instead. They've been lovely and despite me being rather scared of dentists were really good with me.

Liz
23-Nov-10, 19:47
I think it's called denplan. Not sure of the ins and outs at the moment but I claim back my checkups and hygienist costs twice a year. Never needed any treatment.

Thanks. Will google them.:D

pat
23-Nov-10, 20:19
Moved to Isle of Lewis several years ago, dentist in Edinburgh said could stay on her books.
After 2 months OH broke a tooth, went to local dentist and was told they were now not taking new patients on, it was in paper a few days later. I was away from the island but advised OH to go to Health Board offices and to the local hospital, eventually OH had tooth extracted by community dentist - this was first time community dentist had to deal with a case refused by local dentist. Over next few years he has had many many patients to deal with due to lack of facilities and dentists on the island.
Since then every 6 months it is a trip to Edinburgh for check-ups and a bit of retail therapy or like now an extra visit when I again broke part of a tooth.
I personally will continue to travel to Edinburgh for my checkups - what will happen when I am too frail to manage the trip?

They are building a new NHS training unit at the hospital entrance in Stornoway due to the shortage (cousins have not had a dentist for 6 years due to their dentist leaving the island)

Garnet
23-Nov-10, 20:21
Hello again Red, thanks for that info and it is perfectly possible that they don't have any NHS and I'm glad you're happy with them. Your family dentist will be young then!!!
And here I mean he's not from the days of the 'terror dentists', those are the ones whom most kids would rather suffer pain than go near, 'course I could be wrong, quite often am!! Still no offence meant and none taken, I'm just 'huffed' at them. :).

gingernut
23-Nov-10, 20:38
No, I get the point.

I totally agree with you. I'm registered as a private patient at The Bridges Dental practice in Wick.
I pay £25 per year registration and £25 for an annual checkup.
So far have been lucky and not required any treatment.
I think £50 per year is money well spent especially if it means I can keep my teeth for a few more years:lol:

The Happy Humanist
24-Nov-10, 11:00
Like many people, I'm umpteenth on the list for NHS dentistry since Mr. Gordon closed and Mr. Erridge went private, but I am delighted that all my children get seen at Lochshell when they have enough dentists!
However I was there with my daughter yesterday and they had a poster saying that last month alone, more than 33 hours of appointments were wasted as people failed to show up and they had no notice to give the space to another patient.
That's nearly a whole working week of dentistry in one month!
Maybe the waiting list would get shorter sooner, if the lucky people who are patients remembered the impact their actions may have on others.:confused