PDA

View Full Version : Help!! what have I done ;-(

S&LHEN
21-Nov-10, 19:43
My son got a laptop for his birthday a while back and he was wanting it to go online, I was getting on fine with installing etc but when it came to detecting a modem it wouldnt, So I had the bright idea to re-install everything to be sure it was a problem with what had been put on prior, When his windows vista basic disk finished installing it asked for the product key so I thought fine that will be on the bottom of the laptop.... Only to find its been half ripped off!!! I dont have a clue what to do Ive got a blue screen wanting a product key but now only have 8 digits of one.
Is there anything I can do or am I going to need to buy a completely new operating system for him :(:(

cecile
21-Nov-10, 20:05
hi
did you keep the box? you have them both on the product itself and on the box as well and maybe on the warranty label
you should try and get in touc with the manufacturer or the dealer they should be able to sort it out for you as every data related to the products are stored somewhere in a database
hope this help ,good luck

orkneycadian
21-Nov-10, 22:47
Is there anything I can do or am I going to need to buy a completely new operating system for him :(:(

Someone, somewhere is looking out for you! ;)

Consider your lucky escape with Vista to be just that, and install XP instead!

S&LHEN
22-Nov-10, 20:42
Thank you, Your help is appreciated,X checked all the paper work and cant find another copy of the number arg!! Not tried the dealer yet though but im dreading it as they might think im making it up when im not :roll: Next time I have a bright idea i ll remember this one thats for sure!
I read somewhere you can get disks that take the product number from the laptop had I bothered checking the product key before re-installing I would have been able to do that but it wont be possible when ive loaded it as much as I have!! Eeek [disgust]

hi
did you keep the box? you have them both on the product itself and on the box as well and maybe on the warranty label
you should try and get in touc with the manufacturer or the dealer they should be able to sort it out for you as every data related to the products are stored somewhere in a database
hope this help ,good luck

Bobinovich
22-Nov-10, 21:37
Yep I've got a program which will give the full XP code from a hard drive, even if the system no longer boots (by connecting the drive to another PC), but once you've already started reinstalling I very much doubt it will work.