PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Glass

weeboyagee
09-Aug-06, 09:56
(Yes,....I'm still here you guys....)

I read this on the 6th August this year:

http://business.scotsman.com/industry.cfm?id=1134782006

on 6th August 2004...The future? Who knows. My bet is on Edinburgh Crystal making a REAL and continued mess of the current new "Caithness Glass Company" situation.

Two years to the day. Some anniversary! :eyes

Kingetter
09-Aug-06, 11:32
I guess there are times when one doesn't want to be right huh?

Saveman
09-Aug-06, 11:36
What a shame!

Kingetter
09-Aug-06, 11:39
It is indeed. One could write a chapter or more on Caithness losses. Caithness Glass and the JOG Hotel to name but two.

canuck
09-Aug-06, 16:20

Great to see you back weeboyagee. I remember that discussion!

My house moving took a very positive turn yesterday. I unpacked my piece of Caithness glass.

Sporran
09-Aug-06, 17:11

Yes, it's all very sad! I treasure the pieces of Caithness Glass I have all the more, now. Unfortunately, my husband accidentally broke one of my favourite pieces, several months ago. It was a fruit bowl we were given as a wedding present, no less! It was in that deep, smoky purple colour - heather, I think Caithness Glass called it. Meanwhile, my paperweights are safely under lock and key in my mahogany display cabinet....

Malcolmdog
09-Aug-06, 20:54
How sad is that. I can't figure out why they (the company) can't make a go of it. Beautiful artwork, first quality original products. Caithness Glass has disappeared from our store shelves here awhile ago. You would think that there would be a market here in Canada - though I have to admit, the store staff in the higher end stores, had no idea what they were selling. One clerk at Rob Mcgregor's Fine China Store told me that they were mass produced and made in China!!!! perhaps that was the problem - unknowledgable sales staff!!

I treasure my pieces!!!

QUOTE=weeboyagee](Yes,....I'm still here you guys....)

Two years to the day. Some anniversary! :eyes[/QUOTE]

Kingetter
09-Aug-06, 20:59
But do folk seek quality craftsmanship anymore? Or just Replicas / Newly Made 'Antiques' etc etc?

canuck
10-Aug-06, 02:58
Caithness Glass has disappeared from our store shelves here awhile ago. You would think that there would be a market here in Canada - though I have to admit, the store staff in the higher end stores, had no idea what they were selling.
I treasure my pieces!!!

I saw some at Square One in Mississauga last spring.

Are we still going to meet in Fergus at the Highland Games? (Your PM box is full.)

Kingetter
10-Aug-06, 15:23
So now the buildings to be used as a Recruitment Office for Tesco - or at least pro temps

Gets sadder, blow by blow.

canuck
11-Aug-06, 00:41
Are we still going to meet in Fergus at the Highland Games?

Confirming: Saturday - noon I'll be wearing my NAG Tshirt.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m169/canuck_4/caithnessTshirt.jpg

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 03:34
Caithness Glass in Kings Lynn is going now.
What an absolute shame about it all.

golach
11-Aug-06, 10:10

A sorry plight indeed, only good will be the few bittys I have collected over the years will now increase in value, watch out E-bay[disgust]

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 10:16
It strikes me that the loss of Caithness Glass itself may be bad enough, but what about the people who's skills, craftsmanship and knowledge will no longer be needed? This makes it even more of a tragedy.

Malcolmdog
11-Aug-06, 12:12
Thanks for the visual. I will be looking for you!!! Should be a great day.

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 15:46
OI! Someone's looking for a T shirt like that!

Natterjack
11-Aug-06, 16:06
A sorry plight indeed, only good will be the few bittys I have collected over the years will now increase in value, watch out E-bay[disgust]
Most of our collection comes from local charity shops & car boots. The prices have been going up recently. People think they've already gone out of business.

canuck
11-Aug-06, 17:49
OI! Someone's looking for a T shirt like that!

Oh, don't disparage those Tshirts. They were responsible for saving the maternity service in Wick, ..... the shirts, and a whole lot of dedication and hard work by some incredibly special people, the two pictured, among them.

As weeboyagee likely remembers, NAG shared many newspages with The Caithness Glass discussions.

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 18:30
Och I wasn't knocking them but moments after I'd seen the pic (on my way through the thread), you said you needed to find yours - I thought that one might do.

bagpuss
11-Aug-06, 20:47
If it isn't made in Caithness technically it isn't Caithness Glass. Why can't HRH Prince Charles add the brand to mey Selections- on the proviso the Caithness site is re-opened and it functions as a small limited company

htwood
11-Aug-06, 21:37
That's brilliant, Bagpuss.

Kingetter
11-Aug-06, 21:57
Is the problem that people are just not buying? If so, how can that help?

Big Jean
11-Aug-06, 23:55
I just bought a piece as an anniversary gift, but, might keep it myself now and our friends can enjoy something else ! I was sorry when the business left Caithness and now just sorry about it all ! The pieces made were beautiful .

Kingetter
12-Aug-06, 00:49
"O Flower of Scotland,
When will we see
Your like again,"

or:-

"O Jewel of Caithness,
When will we see
Your like again,"

maybe?

bagpuss
12-Aug-06, 22:08
The paperweights are collectors' items, and in the good old days if you asked them to make a vase to hold say lillies you could get one made to spec. Why not combine a new company with say Bunty and Ian Gunn's Northlands Glass- and invite a new designer to do something each year? latterly little effort was made to produce new designs and the emphasis was on marketing the edinburgh crystal stuff. Why not combine it also with North Shore Ceramics? The craft people are here- so why do we compare so poorly with Orkney- which boast at least four jewellery desiners and umpteen artists?

Come on Caithness- the vision is here- you only need to look at the Harbour Gates. get out and do it!

Kingetter
12-Aug-06, 22:11
Only something needs to happen rather quickly before those skills are gone.

Kingetter
13-Aug-06, 14:45
The paperweights are collectors' items, and in the good old days if you asked them to make a vase to hold say lillies you could get one made to spec. Why not combine a new company with say Bunty and Ian Gunn's Northlands Glass- and invite a new designer to do something each year? latterly little effort was made to produce new designs and the emphasis was on marketing the edinburgh crystal stuff. Why not combine it also with North Shore Ceramics? The craft people are here- so why do we compare so poorly with Orkney- which boast at least four jewellery desiners and umpteen artists?

Come on Caithness- the vision is here- you only need to look at the Harbour Gates. get out and do it!

Seems to me that there might be money available somewhere (E C funding?) to create a working museum in Caithness for all the Crafts/Skills that are in danger of vanishing.

It has advantages of retaining the skills and knowlege folk here have, provide employment for some others, provide a great feature in Caithness which benefits those who live here and of course visitors. It might even qualify in part as educational. I think there's much more potential than is being allowed for.